You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Early Stage DYM

How does everyone go about the early stages of Double Your Money's?

And is there a correct way to play them?

I personally try and get chips early so in the latter stages i can hold back the temptations of calling higher blinds with connectors.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Yeh i mean agressive, not limping to see with any two cards.
  • edited November 2009
      It depends upon the level of buy in and quality of opponent. But the general rule is that over aggressive early play leads to a quick exit. It is a good idea to get chips back for later on but best to do it with caution.

Best DYM i ever played in broke the cash bubble after 4 hands. Hand 1 saw 2 players collide and 1 get knocked out, hand 2 saw 2 other plaers collide and 1 get knocked out.Nothing happened on hand 3, and hand 4 saw the 2 chip leaders collide and 1 get knocked out. Me and 1 other guy had not played a hand and had cashed.

If you play at the 30p or 60p stakes then you will see some very loose play with marginal hands so it is probably best to sit back and wait for premiums early on. As you go up through the buy in levels the quality of play increasesand good play is better rewarded. The main play in these games happens when the bubble approaches and the blinds are high.

If you get the chance just fold the first 2 or 3 hands and see what players you have at the table, how they are playing and then adjust to compensate.If it looks tight then loosen up, if it is very loose then tighten right up.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Early Stage DYM:
    i meant when u said ur calling higher blinds with SCs. dont, just open them 2.5x or 3x the bb when ur on the button.
    Posted by Deadluck
    GL IN NEXT WEEKS POSTERS FREEROLL
  • edited November 2009
    i meant when u said ur calling higher blinds with SCs. dont, just open them 2.5x or 3x the bb when ur on the button.
    Posted by Deadluck
    Ah i see, well just won my first DYM on here, first one ive played also :).

Thanks for the advice though.
  • edited November 2009
    Posted by Deadluck
    WHY SAY IN 1 POST WHAT YOU CAN EASILY SAY IN 3
  • edited November 2009
    Play tight early on and steal blinds later on, similar to other tournament structure where there's only 3 to bubble

Also - if by calling you are implying that you limp in to pots with SCs, *stop*.

Raise them in Late position, fold them in early position.

@ dav1964: Post 1+2 yes I could have used the edit button, but was lazy, and besides I read somewhere that 1 line posts dont count anyway, so its not of a concern to me. And post 3 was a reply to the OP's reply, as he misunderstood my commend on SCs and limping etc.

@ Hartshorn: I'm by no means an expert at these, but my main point is to play aggressively (ie. never limp, ever) and use position for hands like SC's else you can get in real trouble with them!
  • edited November 2009
    Play tight early doors, the whole idea of these is to get from 4th to third.

Too many people call with loose cards early doors and end up in a war they don't want. Let the others fight it out and only play monsters, but do so aggressivley.

If you can get in the final 4 more times than not, ultimately, you will successful at these games. Once in the final 4, you should cash, on average, 75% of the time.

If I were to look at my stats in more detail, it probably would tell me that my biggest finishing position is 4th, although ultimately, I am up on the game.

It probably breaks down as 5% 6th, 10% 5th, 25% 4th, 20% 3rd, 20% second and 20% first.

I used to worry about why I bubbled so much, then it dawned on me that it was because I got to the final 4 more often than not.

Don't overly worry about your chip stack when down to 4. Provided you have played tight, you should still have enough fold equity in your chips.

Why fight over 15/30 blinds? Once the blinds are 200/400, they are a lot more appealing to me and it's just a case of push or fold.

Hopefully, 2 others will have a hand and they can do the work for you.