You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Stacking off with AK readless 100bb deep

edited April 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Just had this hand at 50NL and was wondering what people's thoughts are generally on getting 100bb in with AK pre-flop when you've only just sat down at the table with a player you've never played against before?

Am I going to be behind most of the time (as is the case in example below), or am I going to be against AQ (or worse) enough of the time for this to be the correct play?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
EvilPinguSmall blind £0.25£0.25£49.45
scotty77Big blind £0.50£0.75£64.18
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

britrockFold    
NOMADICUSRaise £1.50£2.25£40.03
huuuuumeFold    
RYAN1389Call £1.50£3.75£21.27
EvilPinguRaise £5.75£9.50£43.70
scotty77Fold    
NOMADICUSRaise £18.00£27.50£22.03
RYAN1389Fold    
EvilPinguAll-in £43.70£71.20£0.00
NOMADICUSAll-in £22.03£93.23£0.00
EvilPinguUnmatched bet £8.17£85.06£8.17
EvilPinguShow
  • A
  • K

NOMADICUSShow
  • K
  • K

Flop

• A

Turn

• Q

River

EvilPinguWinPair of Aces£83.26 £91.43

Comments

• edited April 2012
    hi evil,
    think u will be behind to kk or aa some of the time,as here.
    also,any pair u r flipping.
    not very often r u going 2 b in good shape imo.
    i fold and look 4 a better spot
    :-)
    devon
  • edited April 2012
    Completely and utterly player dependent.

With no history with villain and having just sat down I can understand your willingness to go for an early double up.

In my experience of this level though and with villain re-popping your substantial 3bet you ain't gonna be up against AQ or worse here very often.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Stacking off with AK readless 100bb deep:
    Completely and utterly player dependent. With no history with villain and having just sat down I can understand your willingness to go for an early double up. In my experience of this level though and with villain re-popping your substantial 3bet you ain't gonna be up against AQ or worse here very often.
    Posted by SJspanky1
    +1, readless I am probably folding, so few/no hands oppo is 4 betting with that ur beating. 

Also the size of his 4 bet is so big he's never reraise folding( some ppl like to 4 bet with air).
  • edited April 2012
    I think you would need a read to fold once you 3bet the guy
  • edited April 2012

player dependent but without passing any comment on villain i think this spot is marginal at best

dont think he ever takes this line with AQ, AJ and JJ so probably a fold in this spot as you're only ever getting it in against QQ+ imo.

• edited April 2012
    Are we making the assumption that this is never ever a 4-bet bluff? I'd have thought at NL50 3-bet sqeezes from the blinds against a middle-possition raise and a call from the button were fairly common. Think readless it's fine to 5-bet shove with AK from the small blind. If you aren't happy to go AIPF then don't 3-bet in the first place.