You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

BOOOOOOOOOOKS

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
hiya guys im jsut wondering if theres any books out there u would reccomend?? not for a begiiner but intermediate player?
cheeers

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Lots but it depends on what you want to learn, tournament theory, sit n go, cash etc

I've heard if you were a user of torrent sites you MAY (or may not) find you were able to find most poker books I.E supersystem, harrington on holdem etc etc and download them as PDF documnets. For instance if you were to google poker book pdf downloads it may (or may not) bring up sites where you can buy (or not lol) these books.

Good Luck theres lots of interesting stuff out there you just need to know what you want to start with
  • edited November 2009
    hi byrdy---dont necessarily want to put you off your quest--but I think you might like my recent blog----its posted in blogs forum ---go to---latest blogs---caution, may contain nuts----poker books, u avin a larf---feel free to leave a comment on your opinion---interesting subject imo---good luck at the tables--floppa whoppa
  • edited November 2009

Gus Hansen has written a book entitled, 'Every Hand Revealed' which is a good read.

It's more entertaining rather than an in-depth study of when to fold/call/raise but he does have some interesting things to say about tournament strategy.

• edited November 2009
    Agree with Pony - that book is a cracking read, and lets you see just how sick a poker player Hansen is sometimes! :)

I'd also recommend the new book by Negreanu - Power Hold'em Strategy. Again, interesting to see Daniel talk about the small ball style and it's good to learn about various ways of playing the game, imo. Was a good read and pretty easy going.

Good luck! 

• edited November 2009
    Love books, me. 

I'm happy to wade through an entire tome of information, even if it only reveals just one new idea. So my advice would be to read everything (which I'm still working on, obviously). But for the short term, for what it's worth, I think these are good:

1. Phil Gordon's Little Blue (and Green) books: Written in a punchy, no-nonsesne style. Breezy, entertaining and informative.

2. Gus Hansen, Every hand revealed: As already stated, this is good. Purely for weird starting hands and some input on position/stealing, this is great. It's nice to try and understand what's going on in that man's head... and sometimes, it even makes sense, but I doubt many people could emulate his style properly...

3. Dan Harrington's Trilogy: Essential.

4. Anything by Sklansky, plus Brunson's Super System: See the comment above.

I also got a couple of insights from Victoria Coren's excellent autobiographical new book (i.e.: not really a strategy guide):

1. 'Mixing it up' does not mean doing different things with the same hand. It means doing the same thing with different hands.

2. She recounts a lovely tale from Howard Lederer that says a great deal about the importance of a good attitude. As far as I remember it; the parable goes that many years ago, Mr. Lederer was tasked with presenting the prize money and trophy at a major tournament (I forget which one). During the play, Annie Duke interrupted Howard's lunch to introduce some random guy she'd met at the tables.  

The guy apparently waxed lyrical about Poker being 'pretty easy', and that as he'd just played 'perfect poker' and won $40 in just 15 minutes, he was now eager to turn pro. An incredulous Lederer said: “Well I am a Pro, and I've never played perfect poker in my life.” The guy got upset and walked off, rather than heeding the advice.

Contrast that attitude with: A young Phil Ivey – who was at the start of his career – actually ended up winning that particular event. At the finale, the journalists and film crews were going scatty in an attempt to get photos, but Phil looked pretty miffed. One of the journalists even quipped: “Jeez Phil, you could at least crack a smile” and Ivey duly forced an unconvincing grin.

At a private celebration party later, Howard mentioned this to Ivey, and asked him why he'd looked so upset for winning the tournament. A fairly vacant-looking Ivey responded simply: “I can't believe I played so poorly.”

...Don't know about you, but I reckon that's pretty classy.

• edited November 2009
    Thanks for that.  I've always thought that Phil Ivey plays with a lot of dignity
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks Flutnush even though I don't start thread lol.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: BOOOOOOOOOOKS:
    Thanks Flutnush even though I don't start thread lol.
    Posted by Dudeskin8

I know, I know... I get carried away...