You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

50NL - Action card on turn

edited April 2012 in The Poker Clinic
What to do with top 2 pair here?

Only notes on villain are that he had played a couple of peculiar starting hands out of position.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
EvilPingu Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £51.82
LUCKYSAMMI Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £48.13
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • A

Villain Raise   £1.50 £2.25 £49.54
jjohnny5 Fold        
SJspanky1 Fold        
shawsok Fold        
EvilPingu Call   £1.25 £3.50 £50.57
LUCKYSAMMI Fold        
Flop

• A

EvilPingu Check        
Villain Bet   £2.00 £5.50 £47.54
EvilPingu Call   £2.00 £7.50 £48.57
Turn

• J

EvilPingu Check        
Villain Bet   £3.00 £10.50 £44.54
EvilPingu Raise   £9.75 £20.25 £38.82
Villain All-in   £44.54 £64.79 £0.00
EvilPingu ???

Comments

• edited April 2012
    I think i call here cant see him pushing with the flush but thats just me!

im thinking hes got A QS A KS ?? or maybe could have a7 its a tought one but to bh im never folding it!
  • edited April 2012
    Things like this let me know i still have a heck of alot to learn my friend because i wouldnt be thinking twice about folding that.
  • edited April 2012
    im with you here arazi, im puttting this down
  • edited April 2012
    raise/folding top two readless would be pretty bad imo

I think its fine so far against villain as described now snap off the shove. I dont mind flatting turn v certain villains
  • edited April 2012
    gt, whys it bad to fold this after reraising, what would villian be putting ep on with this board and then still be confident to jam.
  • edited April 2012
    I reckon he has pocket 7 or 6 and has made his set but is scared of you holding a high spade and doesn't want u to river the flush.....thats a no prob fold I reckon......chased waaaaaaay to many hands like that.....against players who get lucky with set mining....and ok you got 4 outs for a FH but he got 4 also to beat ya...(7 and 3x6)  on the other hand he might have 4 5 off....or a pair of 2's.......lol...and of course if he's a real flukey nutter he bet pre with 4 5 spade......sheesh I think sometimes you can way overthink stuff and most times I go with my gut feeling..

Think I'd take the less messy route here and fold.....wait and see how he plays in later hands and take him down when ya know he is a serial bluffer

• edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: 50NL - Action card on turn:
    gt, whys it bad to fold this after reraising, what would villian be putting ep on with this board and then still be confident to jam.
    Posted by pod1
    why would raising the turn to fold to a shove be the best line?

We dont know what villain calls/shoves here, so raising to fold to a shove seems kinda like bluffing to me. Its either raise and call it off or flat imo without very clear reads on what he flats and what he shoves when we c/r
  • edited April 2012
    i understand its not ideal, but i think when ep reraises to rep strength i woulda put money on it he thought he was taking it down here.faced with that jam surley its right to reevaluate the strength of our own hand/or not.
    plz dont think im arguing here with you i just want to understand the differences in our thinking regarding this hand.
  • edited April 2012
    Tough spot.

Whats he shoving thats worse? I think probably only a bluff which is possible because the turn is a perfect bluffing card for villain but 3 betting the turn all in looks really strong here especially after you have check raised and therefore i dont think 2 pair is good enough.

I probably fold unless i have a nice read.
  • edited April 2012

I think i call this, would he bet small on turn with set? i dunno, plenty of hand he can turn into bluffs here like Aks, or continuing with ksqx.

It comes down to the player really, villain turn sizing followed by shove is weird, more info would be nice tbh like how wide/narrow is his UTG opening range etc.

I think this is a poker stove hand, (dont have it on work computer or i would do it for you) but inputting villain likely value range and bluffing range would help to decide if you did the right decision or not regardless of the outcome.

• edited April 2012
    dont chk/raise unless your raise/calling. 
  • edited April 2012
    dont chk/raise unless your raise/calling. 
    Posted by hurst05

this
    c/c turn is ok

a/s
    call, sigh - & maybe  lols
  • edited April 2012
    Tank called in the end, villain turned over AK with no spades.

Unfortunately binked a K on the river, but that's Poker.
  • edited April 2012
    I've looked at this a few times and I'm not really sure. I think there are some serious meta-game issues. If he has a good idea that you're an aggro player, then I'd rule out him having the nuts or near-nuts. If he had the flush and knew your game I think he'd flat and let you barrell on a non-spade river rather than chance pushing you off a bluff or semi-bluff. I'd still say he's got a made hand and the action would point me towards the Ace with a draw.

If he doesn't know your game then it looks like a big hand. I doubt he'd do this with a set, since against an average player you'd only expect the shove to be called by a flush and your check-call, check-raise line does look like a flush draw that's hit.

As it happens, I don't like the check-raise on the turn either. I'm not sure you knew what you wanted him to do when you check-raised. Did you want him to call, fold or raise? I guess you were thinking he might have AK or AQ but even against that range wouldn't a check-call line be better?

I wrote this before seeing your last post, EvilPingu. Kinda looks like I'm being wise after the event now. lol
  • edited April 2012
    Admit the c/r turn was a bit bad as it gives me a nightmare decision if I get jammed on - Is someone doing that with worse enough of the time to be stacking off here the right play?

In hindsight, c/c turn is probably better and just hope the river isn't a spade.
  • edited April 2012
    Admit the c/r turn was a bit bad as it gives me a nightmare decision if I get jammed on - Is someone doing that with worse enough of the time to be stacking off here the right play? In hindsight, c/c turn is probably better and just hope the river isn't a spade.
    Posted by EvilPingu
    I think that's really tough to know. Totally dependent on how good a read you think he has on you. As I say, if he thinks you're as aggro as I think you are, then he probably only shoves this turn with a weakish made hand and never (rarely) does it with a monster. Then you just have to decide how much of that weakish range is sets and how much is a big Ace. You'd need to have a really solid read on him as a thinking player and you'd need to know that he has a really solid read on you as an aggro player for this line of thinking to be reliable... That's alot of deep thinking to do in 15 seconds.
  • edited April 2012
    Admit the c/r turn was a bit bad as it gives me a nightmare decision if I get jammed on - Is someone doing that with worse enough of the time to be stacking off here the right play? In hindsight, c/c turn is probably better and just hope the river isn't a spade.
    Posted by EvilPingu
    c/r is not bad, for me Donk lead turn > c/r >> c/c >>>>>>>>>>>>> c/r/fold  

i would be concerned on the turn if player was a bit more straightforward and could say that he never jams Ak, AQ there then i might find a fold, but i prob would not raise this player.

If you are going to fold anywhere in this hand its prob best to do it pre flop tbh
  • edited April 2012
    I don't like the check-raise because I don't know what we want to happen. If we take out all the meta-game and assume these are two unknown players: When he folds to our raise is he really folding anything we beat? When he calls, does that mean an Ace, a draw or a set? When he raises, well what do we make of that? I think leading-out gives us the same problems although it will be less costly for us.

When we check-raise I think we want a call but we fold out alot of hands that we beat that might call a lead on the river. I think I check-call and then lead for about half-pot on a non-spade river, intending to fold to a raise. I fancy we'll get called by those AK, AQ hands and will only be raised by better. I think that's probably the best value play but I'm not completely sure so I'm open to argument.
  • edited April 2012
  • edited April 2012
    If your check raising you should be calling but in this spot i think your behind way more than your ahead. (Prob holds a set OR aj himself) Your prob only beating AK with the king of spades or maybe A7. Personally think you should of just flatted turn and value bet river if no spade.
  • edited April 2012
    c/r awesome against player who "plays peculiar hands oop". Just insta snap when he shoves