You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

PLO noob question - Is this a good move?

edited April 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Villain obviously can't have the nuts - Not until after the hand did I realise the villain probably had 2 hearts and was unable to find the fold button, even when I re-raise, trying to represent the nut flush as I know my oponent can't possibly have the nut flush.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
panderys1 Small blind   25.00 25.00 3685.00
EvilPingu Big blind   50.00 75.00 1845.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • Q

littletoke Fold        
foxy666603 Call   50.00 125.00 3075.00
clanfan86 Call   50.00 175.00 2590.00
panderys1 Call   25.00 200.00 3660.00
EvilPingu Check        
Flop

panderys1 Bet   150.00 350.00 3510.00
EvilPingu Raise   400.00 750.00 1445.00
foxy666603 Fold        
clanfan86 Fold        
panderys1 Raise   1250.00 2000.00 2260.00
EvilPingu Fold        
panderys1 Muck        
panderys1 Win   1000.00   3260.00
panderys1 Return   1000.00 0.00 4260.00

Comments

• edited April 2012
    He might not have the nut flush, but he may have a ton of outs to outdraw a flush anyway.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: PLO noob question - Is this a good move?:
    He might not have the nut flush, but he may have a ton of outs to outdraw a flush anyway.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Isn't there only 6 outs on that flop that outdraw a flush? He likely has two hearts but could be doing this with a set and a draw
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: PLO noob question - Is this a good move?:
    Posted by Lambert180
    There's no hands which would be a mathematical favourite against the nut flush here. Even a set of 10's with 9h 8h for the up and down straight flush draw would only have 9 outs on the turn and 12 on the river against the nut flush.
  • edited April 2012
    Well yeah, he might not be a statistical favourite on the flop, but alot of people in Omaha won't fold what are good hold 'em hands like sets and straight flush draws.

Also, say he has TT in his hand, he has the last T for quads, three 4s, three 7s, when the turn comes, he will have more outs and could also have 2 straight flush outs, so he's got 7 minimum on the flop (maybe 9) which increase on the turn if another unpaired card comes
  • edited April 2012
    On a side note, I'd be careful about bluffing against randoms in Omaha, because you kinda have to know he will give you the credit for the nuts/fold if he doesnt have the nuts or nut drawing hands.
  • edited April 2012
    On another side note (sorry lol), if he calls your raise to 400, what do you do on the turn when it comes:

A) a blank

B) a card that pairs the board
  • edited April 2012
      Couple of things.

Firstly i have seen people prepared to go all the way here with a 3 high flush or bottom set or top two  because they are stuck in a holdem mentality so it is unlikely to get a fold from anyone who has hit the board.Even your nut blocker wont stop a lot of players.

Bluffing in omaha is never a great idea unless you can set it up on previous streets and only then against a player who is capable of folding so definitely not against a novice to the game.

My main issue here is not from an omaha point of view but from just a standard poker point of view. You are in the BB in a limped pot and have virtually no chance of ever getting the best hand here so why are you even putting a single chip into this pot. There was no need to do this sort of bluff when it was so unnecessary. Save the chips for when you hit or at least for when you can put the bet out with a semibluff and have a chance to win the pot.