You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

MTT - AK facing raise and 3bet in SB 1st level

edited April 2012 in The Poker Clinic
No reads on Mister_M, obvz Scotty has any 2 but can I continue here with large 3bet ?

Dudeskin8Small blind 10.0010.002075.00
MAGICM8Big blind 20.0030.001915.00
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

hoggystyleCall 20.0050.001790.00
scotty77Raise 80.00130.001890.00
font8aFold    
Mister_MRaise 340.00470.002000.00
Dudeskin8

Comments

• edited April 2012
    meh, I muck cos I don't wanna flip for my tourney life this early - it's fold or 4b tho
  • edited April 2012
  • edited April 2012
    Prefer 4 bet/call , dont like flatting would prefer to fold  then flat
  • edited April 2012
      This is a very simple situation and as a result a very simple decision.

Your options.

Fold: Nothing wrong with folding here you only have a sb invested on level 1 in a pot where you are not totally sure of where you are. AK becomes a much more powerful hand later on in a tourny and is less powerful at this stage.

Raise: Any raise here would commit you to the pot(you can not 4-bet fold here) because a raise would pretty much have half your stack in the middle. So any raise is an effective shove so you might as well shove if you are going to raise as this at least gives you increased fold equity. Downside to this is the fact that the best you can really hope for in a calling range to this would be a race because you are realistically not being called by worse here.

Call:This has to be the worst possible thing in this situation with the original raiser still left to act so it doesnt even guarantee you to see a flop. Plus you will then be playing the flop out of position against an unknown 3-betting hand. So this option has to clearly be removed from the situation.

So like i said nice and simple shove or fold.And an arguement can be made for both of these. It all depends on you and whether you wish to be put into a gamble situation at this stage of a tourny. But for me i would much rather crash out at this stage rather than rock myself for best part of 2 hours and still not get any money for it.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: MTT - AK facing raise and 3bet in SB 1st level:
      This is a very simple situation and as a result a very simple decision.   Your options.   Fold: Nothing wrong with folding here you only have a sb invested on level 1 in a pot where you are not totally sure of where you are. AK becomes a much more powerful hand later on in a tourny and is less powerful at this stage.  Raise: Any raise here would commit you to the pot(you can not 4-bet fold here) because a raise would pretty much have half your stack in the middle. So any raise is an effective shove so you might as well shove if you are going to raise as this at least gives you increased fold equity. Downside to this is the fact that the best you can really hope for in a calling range to this would be a race because you are realistically not being called by worse here.  Call:This has to be the worst possible thing in this situation with the original raiser still left to act so it doesnt even guarantee you to see a flop. Plus you will then be playing the flop out of position against an unknown 3-betting hand. So this option has to clearly be removed from the situation.   So like i said nice and simple shove or fold.And an arguement can be made for both of these. It all depends on you and whether you wish to be put into a gamble situation at this stage of a tourny. But for me i would much rather crash out at this stage rather than rock myself for best part of 2 hours and still not get any money for it.
    Posted by Talon
    but requires a giant wall of text to explain it, as per norm eh Col :)

you could have just said.. fold or shipppppp

fwiw, i fold if i care about the mtt, but if its one of many, i just ship every day of the week
  • edited April 2012
    This is funny - how is fold a better option than a flat

4 bet if you wanna get in 50/50

flat if your happy getting in on A & K flop and obviously play it cute and also if you don't wanna straight flip at this stage

fold = why play poker

shove = never getting called by worse

• edited April 2012
    This is funny - how is fold a better option than a flat 4 bet if you wanna get in 50/50 flat if your happy getting in on A & K flop and obviously play it cute and also if you don't wanna straight flip at this stage fold = why play poker shove = never getting called by worse
    Posted by rancid
    reasons not to flat imo

1. we are oop with a hand that loses its value if we hit and our opponants dont.
    2. we would be calling for 1/6 of our stack. if we are deeper, i dont mind a flat so much.
    3. a jam could get folds from some better hands. I also disagree you dont get called by worst. some ppl will call with AQ AJ, youve obv not played the same mtts i have.

Im just allergic to playing inflated pots oop, maybe i need to learn, maybe i dont. w/e
  • edited April 2012
    Its prob a fold when some unknown guy 3bets 4.5x. I would get it in though. Dont like calling, we still valuetown ourselves v the hands we cant get it in against and only get 3 cards v pps and cant make them fold better, although thats unlikely with big 3bet
  • edited April 2012
    You can flat but i dont like it as even if yiou hit you aint got a clue where you are out of posistion so its prob the wrong option. 4 bet shove is ok but so early in a tournament you can also justify the fold. This isn't a great spot and your only getting 25% increase to a stack that will be average in a level or so. Save these shoves for later level IMO
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: MTT - AK facing raise and 3bet in SB 1st level : but requires a giant wall of text to explain it, as per norm eh Col :)you could have just said.. fold or shipppppp fwiw, i fold if i care about the mtt, but if its one of many, i just ship every day of the week
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    That's why I love replies like Colins/Borinloner's, and others.  They DON'T just say fold/shove.  They give the rationale behind the decision-making process for newbies like me.  FWIW I'd prob fold.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: MTT - AK facing raise and 3bet in SB 1st level : That's why I love replies like Colins/Borinloner's, and others.  They DON'T just say fold/shove.  They give the rationale behind the decision-making process for newbies like me.  FWIW I'd prob fold.
    Posted by Glenelg
    Ye I love Colin;s posts, he knows im only messing, he is TKP!
  • edited April 2012
    flatting AK here is so easy to play oop )
    Really doesn't get any easier

what are the benefits in folding though, don't understand the folding AK 6 max )

Even if we say 3 bettors range can include AQ/AJ doesn't mean they going to be calling it off pre - but an ace high flop makes it impossible for them to get away )

Greg - they really calling off 4 bet shoves with AQ/AJ this early - I don't think so

• edited April 2012

Whats your plan if it come 4 6 T rainbow?? Check folding after sticking 20% + of you stack pre?

• ybyb
    edited April 2012
    flatting is by far the worst option imo, depending on the buy in i think i could find a fold here, but in most tournies on sky i'm always getting this in 100bbs deep.

the only positives i can find in flatting are:
    1. that we let AJ/AQ valuetown themselves on A high boards if we don't think these hands call a 4bet pre
    2. we keep bluffs in and allow them to rep A/K high boards and then we can just call down
    3. we lose less against AA/KK

however i think 1 has to be discounted somewhat given that i don't think the people who 3bet this size with AJ/AQ are always folding to a 4bet and if you think 3 is important because the villain's range is weighted so heavily towards AA/KK then you should just be folding pre anyway.

reasons why 4betting is better imo if we want to continue:
    1. even though stacks to pot ratio is small i still think playing the hand oop will be a considerable disadvantage
    2. we allow pairs <KK to play perfectly against us, so now we don't always stack them on A/K high flops, and we don't have fold equity against them on low boards when we could get folds preflop.
    3. we make a pair on the flop ~1/3 times (and less if villain also holds an ace or a king) so the amount of times that we get the villain to bluff into us/valuetown himself are outweighed by the times he can bluff us off a better hand
  • edited April 2012
    Youv'e all clearly been eating too much chocolate this weekend
  • edited April 2012
    Whats your plan if it come 4 6 T rainbow?? Check folding after sticking 20% + of you stack pre?
    Posted by Batkin88

Just take the fold option then, easy fold init - no risk reward then

• edited April 2012
    Where does this mantra of "don't take flips early" come from? I don't play many MTTs but when I have and I've done well it's usually been through getting lucky early on and doubling up, thus allowing me to keep pressure on the smaller stacks throughout the tournement. People say you can't win MTTs without winning your races. It's it better to take a flip in the early levels and get it over and done with. I mean isn't it better to crash out on level 1 than limp through the tourny card dead, stealing small pots only to bubble 3 hours later?
  • edited April 2012
    jam, go get glass of wine, sit down and see if we are still in. (is this my cash mentality comming through)
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: MTT - AK facing raise and 3bet in SB 1st level : Just take the fold option then, easy fold init - no risk reward then
    Posted by rancid
    It's a waste of chips
  • edited April 2012
    you folding ak... never sounds like yr to scared to bet...
  • edited April 2012
    In response to the replies that said to flat this 3-bet.

The main problem with this is that not only would we be playing out of position which is never good hoping to hit the flop which we will do only 1 in 3 times and then not sure where we are even if we do hit. But there are still 2 people left to act after us preflop.
      All the assumptions being made to justify a call here are that the original limper had a junk hand and will fold and that ryan only raised the way he did to isolate the limper in position. Although it is unlikely that the original limper has much, can we easily say that ryan has nothing here. So a call by us could just lead to a 4-bet shove coming in preflop and then we are being asked to call off our entire stack or fold after putting a big chunk in.

We can only justify a call here if we can guarantee getting it heads up with then being prepared to go with it if we hit the flop. As it is we can not say this with any real conviction because of the players left to act before we get to the 3-better. Making any assumptions on relative hand strength of 1 player is hard but to do it with all 3 with that much of our stack can never be a great idea.

This is why for me we can not call in this situation. It is always better to ask questions rather than just sit there and answer them. Guaranteed HU pot changes the dynamic totally but as it stands this is not the way this hand is developing. The call will give people the notion that they have the odds to call and see the flop and that makes it automatically an allin bet size on any flop because of the multiway action in an inflated pot.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to MTT - AK facing raise and 3bet in SB 1st level:
    No reads on Mister_M, obvz Scotty has any 2 but can I continue here with large 3bet ? Dudeskin8 Small blind   10.00 10.00 2075.00 MAGICM8 Big blind   20.00 30.00 1915.00   Your hole cards K A       hoggystyle Call   20.00 50.00 1790.00 scotty77 Raise   80.00 130.00 1890.00 font8a Fold         Mister_M Raise   340.00 470.00 2000.00 Dudeskin8
    Posted by Dudeskin8

what type of mtt. what bi?

EVERY option is open to you here on sky imo.
  • edited April 2012
    I'd probably bin it, sounds nitty (Me? Nit?!) but we've still got 100bb, we can find a better spot.

I don't like calling at all here out of position, even more so when we're not closing the action. I'm either 4-betting all in or folding, depends on the structure as much as the players involved. 

In a BH with 10 min blinds, I probably shove here. In something with a slower structure, I can fold and wait for better spots to accumulate chips.
  • edited April 2012
    Geez, what is goin onn! i remember when there was a time when Ak never got layed down pre! what is goin on with all this fold business with Ak in a 6max mtt, some geezer 3bets the button and your talking as if he has Aces just 4 bet or ship it