You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Do you have to be young to win the WSOP now?

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
So Joe 'The Kid' Cada is now the youngest ever WSOP Main Event winner, taking over where Peter Eastgate left off. It took 19 years after Phil Helmuth won it for Peter to beat the record, now Joe has done it the year after.

Coincidence? or is this a sign that youth and stamina / internet play is beginning to dominate.

Take a vote and lets have a discussion.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    No, What you have to be is a Luck Box just to end up in a position where you can win it lol
  • edited November 2009
    Maybe someone could shed light on the age ranges at the final table. I think it was about even between young players and older.

Another topic that needs to be discussed, is the lack of female entrants in the Main event compared to the amount of women that play poker. A female getting to the final table would be a great boost to the game.
  • edited November 2009
    1. Darvin Moon                  Age: 45
    2. Eric Buchman                 Age: 29
    3. Steven Begleiter            Age: 47
    4. Jeff Shulman                 Age: 34
    5. Joe Cada                      Age: 21
    6. Kevin Schaffel                Age: 51
    7. Phil Ivey                       Age: 33
    8. Antoine "Tonio" Saout    Age: 25
    9. James Akenhead           Age: 26

Average age: 34.5
  • edited November 2009
    Hi Dave

I was listening to some of the final on the internet, and they were talking about this very issue.  The session playing down to the last two was so long, that it was being criticised and there was a question of whether it should have been played over two days.  They were talking about moon appearing to fall asleep at the table.  I dont know if that was the case, but either way, it could be argued that the structure certainly suited the younger players.

The overall spread of ages however suggests that youth is not a huge advantage. 

It does seem, however, that with internet poker being so popular, players are playing millions of hands in a much quicker time frame these days, and therefore getting to the highest standards that much quicker.  I think this will inevitably see the average age of winners drop in the years to come. 
  • edited November 2009
    As the popularity of poker has increased so there are more younger players entering the game than ever before. More younger players overall equals more younger players in the finals.
  • edited November 2009
    I think I need to lose 10 years lol
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Do you have to be young to win the WSOP now?:
    I think I need to lose 10 years lol
    Posted by Grimstar30
    When you find the shop that sells the magic potion.....buy 2 for me...
  • edited November 2009
    Make that 3 please and I think maybe I will need a double dose  so make it 4 lol
  • edited November 2009
    I would say that being young is an advantage.

They hvae played so many more hands online, have more experience of the game plus they hvae a stamina advantage too in a week long event like the WSOP.

Also I would imagine that now under 25s make up at least half of the field.

• edited November 2009
    I think its good for the game that the young guns are winning it, but to actually win it just needs a good poker brain and some insane luck.
  • edited November 2009
    Make that 3 please and I think maybe I will need a double dose  so make it 4 lol
    Posted by Kiwini4u
    lol to you and Mike. 

Well they say you are as young as the woman you feel. So I am 22! get in - Result ;)

p.s. 2 for 1 on youth potions at tes*o ;)
  • edited November 2009
    Yes you have to be young and by the time WSOP 2010 comes along ill be 23... Watch this space :-)
  • edited November 2009
    Yes you have to be young and by the time WSOP 2010 comes along ill be 23... Watch this space :-)
    Posted by FlashFlush
    I will take a piece of you ;)
  • edited November 2009
    i just fink these young whizzzkids playing online like10-12 hours a day play so many hands,see so many situations,they can adjust to ppls play thats why i fink these young players are starting to tear evrythink up....
    "2years till vegas baby"I HOPE LOL
  • edited November 2009
    As the popularity of poker has increased so there are more younger players entering the game than ever before. More younger players overall equals more younger players in the finals.
    Posted by elsadog
    +1

It could also be because a poker pro is not looked down on anymore as it was when tikay was growing up lol.
    Now loads of american players are coming out of collages like harvard and are taking up the sport so i would guess the average poker player iq is probably higher now than before.

• edited November 2009
    think  its  because  the   game  of  poker   moveing  that  fast    lot  of  the  young   genaration   are  playing
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Do you have to be young to win the WSOP now? : +1 It could also be because a poker pro is not looked down on anymore as it was when tikay was growing up lol. Now loads of american players are coming out of collages like harvard and are taking up the sport so i would guess the average poker player iq is probably higher now than before.
    Posted by DeuceAK-47
      please tell what century was this [ tk growing up]

can just imagine him now in the school shorts,

hustling the other kids out of their pocket money .
  • edited November 2009
    I think I need to lose at least 35 years to be in with a chance, but seriously, with the explosion of the online game nowadays, the young players can play so many more games and learn faster than the older players who learnt the game at the live tables.
    It does seem like the younger generation are getting to more final tables, but experience shines through and the 'Old Guard' will still have it's day in the WSOP.
  • edited November 2009
    "Now loads of american players are coming out of collages like harvard and are taking up the sport"

Just to pick up on the above from deuceak47, i wouldnt call poker a sport.  I suppose it is a good debate and maybe a thread on the topic has been discussed/ will be discussed, but its not a sport for me.  Sure, we can see that it is becoming a younger persons game, and stamina was definitely a requirement due to the wsop structure, but over all, this is a mental game, with elements of luck, and not so much physical skill.

I have heard people saying they'd like it be in the olympics etc, so perhaps i am in the minority?
  • edited November 2009
    There are a lot of new young players who whilst able to play tight are very aggressive when needed and in the main now are in the majority in terms of overall numbers; hence the likelihood that the winners overall age will be much younger.
  • edited November 2009
    These 4 former-high school math whizzes etc etc

But seriously, you need insane run-good, and being awesome at poker helps aswell.

Poker transcends age, It just happens that the internet generation have played so many more hands than the old guard that its only natural thet they will be better players.

• edited November 2009
    its prolly the younger people who bring the most origionality to the game, the most energy.