You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Do poker players ever have a responsibility

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
To say something to somebody who constantly spews money and shows no sign of improving?

Or should they just keep quiet and take their money?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    No.  We don't know their financial situation.  For all we know they could be a millionaire and losing a few BIs every now and then is just their entertainment.
  • edited November 2009
    scotty's right, as harsh as it sounds, even if people are doing their nuts, their finances is nothing to do with us
  • edited November 2009
    Yeah there business is there business you just enjoy your poker and win their money,as harsh as it sounds if they cant afford to lose then they should not be playing
  • edited November 2009
    Poker players would not have a responsibility but of course sky poker has its own set of responsibilities to its players.  At the bottom of the page there is a responsible gambling link, which includes self-help tools, and we have the functions available to lim it how much we can deposit in a given period of time, to help players control their spending.
  • edited November 2009
      On the whole no matter what level we play at and how good our game is we are doing this to either make a bit of money or not lose too much. With this said the best way for us to do this is to pick on the weaker players that we find. If we teach these players then our margin goes down.
       Although the main thing unless you are a pro is fun losing your edge over players in a game is not a good idea. So as a general rule i would say that it is best not to help people just for our own sakes. I would make an exception though if someone came up to me and asked for my help to improve their game.
      I regularly add my advice to threads in the strategy section but this is because people have asked for advice. If they dont ask for help then keep quiet and take their money
  • edited November 2009
    Responsibility or not, you couldn't. When your at the tables trying to tell somebody how badly they played something thats never actually going to go down too well. People who lose money do so of there own free will. If i tilt and blow a buy in i'm in no mood for the guy who just took it to start giving me poker tips lol
  • edited November 2009
    If after tooolsing a lot of money someone at the table would try and give me tips, or warn me about loosing so much money, I think it would annoying me and possibly put me on tilt.

Yeah I know your all gonig to be telling me this now next time im on a tbl with ya's.

Gareth
  • edited November 2009
    Not at all, any player sitting down at the table has to be responsible for their own actions. It's not for anyone else to act for them, you'd be ostracised for ever if you tried
  • edited November 2009
    i saw a guy like this, i chose to ask him nabout it and he said he just plays 4 fun, i asked, so u just give away money, he said yes.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Do poker players ever have a responsibility:
    i saw a guy like this, i chose to ask him nabout it and he said he just plays 4 fun, i asked, so u just give away money, he said yes.
    Posted by nirvana29
    Lol - I think all gamblers will say that no loss matters to them as they would hate to admit it.

I remember a case at the Luton G where a young guy had been playing poker and he had lost his money. His girlfriend was upset and started crying and was asking the cardroom staff to give him his money back.

I've rarely seen anyone try and publicly persuade a player to have a break, but we all watch in awe as someone does their nuts. How many times do we hear that someone has done well in Vegas but by the time they've got back they have lost it all. I remember one player who won a WSOP bracelet and it was a running joke that he had either pawned the bracelet before leaving Vegas or had taken the diamonds out and replaced them with cubic zirconia so he could sell the real ones.

It's an accepted event when players go bust, you know that you'll see them again when they have some money, it's a very strange world, the poker one, where it's not unusual for a player to be on their uppers and we don't attach any shame to it. In the 'real world' going broke is frowned upon, in poker and gambling it's an every day occurence.

Hopefully the main difference is that in poker the money goes round between players, rather than losing it on the roulette table and the profit going to the house.

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Do poker players ever have a responsibility : Lol - I think all gamblers will say that no loss matters to them as they would hate to admit it. I remember a case at the Luton G where a young guy had been playing poker and he had lost his money. His girlfriend was upset and started crying and was asking the cardroom staff to give him his money back. I've rarely seen anyone try and publicly persuade a player to have a break, but we all watch in awe as someone does their nuts. How many times do we hear that someone has done well in Vegas but by the time they've got back they have lost it all. I remember one player who won a WSOP bracelet and it was a running joke that he had either pawned the bracelet before leaving Vegas or had taken the diamonds out and replaced them with cubic zirconia so he could sell the real ones. It's an accepted event when players go bust, you know that you'll see them again when they have some money, it's a very strange world, the poker one, where it's not unusual for a player to be on their uppers and we don't attach any shame to it. In the 'real world' going broke is frowned upon, in poker and gambling it's an every day occurence. Hopefully the main difference is that in poker the money goes round between players, rather than losing it on the roulette table and the profit going to the house.
    Posted by Dingdell
    Post of the Week.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Do poker players ever have a responsibility : Lol - I think all gamblers will say that no loss matters to them as they would hate to admit it. I remember a case at the Luton G where a young guy had been playing poker and he had lost his money. His girlfriend was upset and started crying and was asking the cardroom staff to give him his money back. I've rarely seen anyone try and publicly persuade a player to have a break, but we all watch in awe as someone does their nuts. How many times do we hear that someone has done well in Vegas but by the time they've got back they have lost it all. I remember one player who won a WSOP bracelet and it was a running joke that he had either pawned the bracelet before leaving Vegas or had taken the diamonds out and replaced them with cubic zirconia so he could sell the real ones. It's an accepted event when players go bust, you know that you'll see them again when they have some money, it's a very strange world, the poker one, where it's not unusual for a player to be on their uppers and we don't attach any shame to it. In the 'real world' going broke is frowned upon, in poker and gambling it's an every day occurence. Hopefully the main difference is that in poker the money goes round between players, rather than losing it on the roulette table and the profit going to the house.
    Posted by Dingdell
    Whoa - hold up a mo. Was that me?
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Do poker players ever have a responsibility : Whoa - hold up a mo. Was that me?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Are you trying to get into the posters freeroll with your short replies???

1. You have more bankroll management than that....

2. I've never seen anyone watch you donk out from a comp and then not laugh - it seems to go with the territory

3. if you had a crying girlfriend I'm sure it wouldn't be the poker that was upsetting her...! She had probably heard you at Manchester SKPUT saying that taking off your shoes was better than s e x! 

x
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Do poker players ever have a responsibility : Are you trying to get into the posters freeroll with your short replies??? 1. You have more bankroll management than that.... 2. I've never seen anyone watch you donk out from a comp and then not laugh - it seems to go with the territory 3. if you had a crying girlfriend I'm sure it wouldn't be the poker that was upsetting her...! She had probably heard you at Manchester SKPUT saying that taking off your shoes was better than s e x!  x
    Posted by Dingdell
    lol, I never said that! I said it was LIKE sex.

My shoes were KILLING me all day, so I tried to find a mind-game to deal with it. I just imgined the relief I would feel when I took the shoe (it was just the right shoe) off.

And it worked a treat.

I got back to my Room at about 0330, & sat there for 10 minutes, contemplating the forthcoming happiness.

THEN I undid the laces. And waited a further 5 minutes. The anticipation was MASSIVE now.

And THEN, the moment arrived, & I took it off, oh-so-slowly....

And THAT was good.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Do poker players ever have a responsibility : lol, I never said that! I said it was LIKE se. My shoes were KILLING me all day, so I tried to find a mind-game to deal with it. I just imgined the relief I would feel when I took the shoe (it was just the right shoe) off.   And it worked a treat. I got back to my Room at about 0330, & sat there for 10 minutes, contemplating the forthcoming happiness. THEN I undid the laces. And waited a further 5 minutes. The anticipation was MASSIVE now. And THEN, the moment arrived, & I took it off, oh-so-slowly.... And THAT was good.
    Posted by Tikay10
    LOL. THAT REMINDS ME OF SOMETHING . IM SURE IT WILL COME TO ME EVENTUALLY ...
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Do poker players ever have a responsibility : lol, I never said that! I said it was LIKE s ex. My shoes were KILLING me all day, so I tried to find a mind-game to deal with it. I just imgined the relief I would feel when I took the shoe (it was just the right shoe) off.   And it worked a treat. I got back to my Room at about 0330, & sat there for 10 minutes, contemplating the forthcoming happiness. THEN I undid the laces. And waited a further 5 minutes. The anticipation was MASSIVE now. And THEN, the moment arrived, & I took it off, oh-so-slowly.... And THAT was good.
    Posted by Tikay10
    OOOOH YES YOU DID.
    col
  • edited November 2009
    say  nothing  just  keep  taking  there  money  
  • edited November 2009
    End of the day its their choice to play or not, and a player you might see losing a lot could just be on a bad downswing.