You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

regarding software

edited November 2009 in Area 51
hibefore i start please dont think this a whinge about sky or poker software, just after a conversation with somebody it had me thinking.  before playing here i used to play on another site who also used to run live games, the guy who"had his name above the door" used to come to some of these live events. one particular evening i was chatting to the guy over a beer asking him a few questionsabout the site i.e how do they moniter chat, looking out for cheats e.t.c. the subject moved onto sotware and i mentioned i played for play money(newplayer at time and learnin). having had 3 royal flushes in the first mnth i asked him how this was and in the following 3mnths playing real money hadnt had 1 at all (like i say very new and niave)he explained the software used in plaw money had a different " wow " factor built in to get new players more excited about playing poker. no harm i thought. not until recently though i thought about it some more and i am puzzled on how you can build in a higher% of "wow" hands into a random dealing of cards. surely this is like having a % payout built into a fruitmachine. the reason i bring this up is , can a site ask for a software package with a higher% of"wow" hands in real money games. this is still legal im sure, but surley this cant be a random dealing of cards. like i say this was from someone very very high up on another site. anyone who knows me know im computer thick, and just wondering if anyone in the computer world could explain how this can be

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Software is programmed, so anything can be done.

they would probably get away with play money but real money no
  • edited November 2009
    His name wasn't Victor was it?
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to regarding software:
    hibefore i start please dont think this a whinge about sky or poker software, just after a conversation with somebody it had me thinking.  before playing here i used to play on another site who also used to run live games, the guy who"had his name above the door" used to come to some of these live events. one particular evening i was chatting to the guy over a beer asking him a few questionsabout the site i.e how do they moniter chat, looking out for cheats e.t.c. the subject moved onto sotware and i mentioned i played for play money(newplayer at time and learnin). having had 3 royal flushes in the first mnth i asked him how this was and in the following 3mnths playing real money hadnt had 1 at all (like i say very new and niave)he explained the software used in plaw money had a different " wow " factor built in to get new players more excited about playing poker. no harm i thought. not until recently though i thought about it some more and i am puzzled on how you can build in a higher% of "wow" hands into a random dealing of cards. surely this is like having a % payout built into a fruitmachine. the reason i bring this up is , can a site ask for a software package with a higher% of"wow" hands in real money games. this is still legal im sure, but surley this cant be a random dealing of cards. like i say this was from someone very very high up on another site. anyone who knows me know im computer thick, and just wondering if anyone in the computer world could explain how this can be
    Posted by pod1
    1) Poker does need additional "wow" factor to spice it up, Pod. Even as it is, people can't get their heads round the wow-outdraws & crash-bang-wallop hands, so it sure don't need revving up to make it exciting.

2) The suite of Software Sky Poker use was not purchased, it's home produced. I don't know for sure, but I would iimagine that the same software is used across the Site, for Tourneys, SNG's, SNG's, Cash Games, & Play Money games. I cant think of a single reason why it would not be.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to regarding software:
    Posted by pod1
    Taking your highlighted points in order:

It is entirely possible (though rare) to get three royal flushes in a month then none for 3 months afterwards. This is just the way that random events occur.

I don't know the gentleman you are referring to but it strikes me that he was pulling your leg about the "wow" factor. This would be an extremely dubious practice.

As already stated above, anything is possible with computer programs.

It would definitely NOT be legal to program something like this into a real money situation. A lot of time and effort is spent by companies and gambling regulators to ensure that this is not the case. It would be a criminal act to do this and prosecutions would be made.

If you want to discuss any of this in more detail, please send me a PM.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: regarding software:
    His name wasn't Victor was it?
    Posted by elsadog
    ......and did he supply shipping & boating equipment?
  • edited November 2009

Vince - did you get my PM? The 2nd one? (The one that required a longgggg answer)
  • edited November 2009
    Vince - did you get my PM? The 2nd one? (The one that required a longgggg answer)
    Posted by Tikay10
    Sorry, I've not been getting e-mail notifications of thread updates or PMs today so I missed it.
    I will look at it now.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: regarding software : ......and did he supply shipping & boating equipment?
    Posted by Tikay10

Got it in one, or is that 2?
  • edited November 2009
    like i say his name was above the door, im not gonna name names but hes been on telly. im a pretty good judge of character(been in sales for 10 yrs ) and i dont think he bull s h i t t i n g.. told me  where the survalance was(london) head quaters was gibralter. why wouldnt it be legal, not leaning towards one particular player?

• edited November 2009
    ps his name wasnt vince

• edited November 2009
    ps his name wasnt vince
    Posted by pod1

No it wouldn't be, but headquarters in Gibraltar is a good clue.
  • edited November 2009
    big site you all know it

• edited November 2009

Yes, we all know the Site Pod, but it's on a Network, & that Site has no influence or control over the Network Software. None at all.
  • edited November 2009
    like i say tk dont  know much about computers, just wondered how they came across software if they had no control over it!!!
  • edited November 2009
    Yes, we all know the Site Pod, but it's on a Network, & that Site has no influence or control over the Network Software. None at all.
    Posted by Tikay10

........and what applied to that site would apply to many others. I have played on that site for many years, and still do. I have won more money/tournaments on that site than any other. Many of today's top online pro's started on there and still play there from time to time.
  • edited November 2009
    if they didnt design it they must have bought it

• edited November 2009
    i doubt it it not running now, got closed 2mnths ago. we got wires crossed about which site
  • edited November 2009
    starts with an n lol

• edited November 2009

No Pod, Internet Poker Sites do not work in the way you seem to think.

Most - bar a few (Stars, Party, Full-Tilt) are on Networks. They neither buy the software, or design it. They simply pay an upfront fee, & a percentage of the Gross take, to use it under Licence. Like a franchise. They have NO CONTROL over the Software, & even the Cage is usually operated by the Network.

Sky Poker is, like PokerStars, a "stand-alone". It was designed & programmed in-house, & nobody shares it with us. Sky Poker runs it's own Cage, too.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to regarding software : 1) Poker does need additional "wow" factor to spice it up, Pod. Even as it is, people can't get their heads round the wow-outdraws & crash-bang-wallop hands, so it sure don't need revving up to make it exciting. 2) The suite of Software Sky Poker use was not purchased, it's home produced. I don't know for sure, but I would iimagine that the same software is used across the Site, for Tourneys, SNG's, SNG's, Cash Games, & Play Money games. I cant think of a single reason why it would not be.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I would agree because when the 200millionth hand was coming up, they said if it was on........ and named all the above including play money tables, what would happen in each circumstance
  • edited November 2009
    IPOKER MASSIVE NETWORK,,MICROGAMING MASSIVE NETWORK,,,They make that much on the tax etc,,,they would never ever think of collusion in software,,,we are talking billions of dollars each year...

Now i would rather play on a independent network like SKY,because as i have said before you may as well play bingo with your cards on the others ....

And tho there has been examples in the last 10 years of rouge people working within poker sites who could see all the cards in play,,they were eventually caught. You can be 99.9999999% certain that it wont happen here, i will take those odds any day.

Look at my poker statement.......it says, "dont be scared of ghosts",if you are,, pack the game in NOW..
  • edited November 2009
    tnx for clearing that up tk, much appreciated

• edited November 2009
    tnx for clearing that up tk, much appreciated
    Posted by pod1
    You are most welcome.

Next time you see your friend, you can fire his nonsense right back at him!
  • edited November 2009
    Tikay, it might be worthwhile posting the way sites are operated ie skins, cages and networks so that people understand when they play any site what they are involved with. I know you're busy but coming from you would set it in stone and reassure some folk about Sky's independence and integrity.
  • edited November 2009
    skins,cages and networks.Wot u all onnabout.....btw.elsadog=mad genius
  • edited November 2009
    Tikay, it might be worthwhile posting the way sites are operated ie skins, cages and networks so that people understand when they play any site what they are involved with. I know you're busy but coming from you would set it in stone and reassure some folk about Sky's independence and integrity.
    Posted by elsadog
    Good idea, I will do it in the next day or two.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: regarding software : Good idea, I will do it in the next day or two.
    Posted by Tikay10
    No you wont lol, you always forget, one of us will remind you on friday afternoon - if your not having your 4pm beauty sleep lol
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: regarding software : No you wont lol, you always forget, one of us will remind you on friday afternoon - if your not having your 4pm beauty sleep lol
    Posted by loonytoons
    Regretfully, I cannot respond to that - I've been Banned from Area 51 by TALON.

Get out of THAT!

PS - KIP time is NOW.