You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Terrible Play or Unlucky?

edited April 2012 in The Poker Clinic
This is a hand from a Cardiff satellite. 19 players started so there's 3 seats and £88 for 4th. We're down to 15 and I think I was about 8th.

Villian has been raising pretty much every button, and I figured there's no way he could call for 90% of his stack unless he has QQ+ especially when he is in no need/rush to take a race. BB is also pretty short and is not gonna wanna call off light when he could find a spot to get it in first.

Is this horrendous play and an unnecessary risk or just very unlucky?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Lambert180 Small blind   50.00 50.00 2685.00
POKERD4DDY Big blind   100.00 150.00 810.00
  Your hole cards
  • A

CroupesDog Fold        
MAXALLY Fold        
minty11 Raise   300.00 450.00 2837.50
Lambert180 All-in   2685.00 3135.00 0.00
POKERD4DDY Fold        
minty11 All-in   2837.50 5972.50 0.00
minty11 Unmatched bet   402.50 5570.00 402.50
Lambert180 Show
  • A

minty11 Show
  • A
  • A

Flop

Turn

• Q

River

• J

minty11 Win Pair of Aces 5570.00   5972.50

Comments

• edited April 2012
    it's fine imo
    r/c would also be ok
  • edited April 2012
  • edited April 2012
    You have 26 Bigs bit too much imo

Personally i make it 800, probably fold to a 4 bet

If u had <20 bigs then i think it is standard and ul
  • edited April 2012
    not terrible play

you have options though 27BB deep. You could raise/call. I wouldnt mind making it 800 and folding to a shove v some villains. You can also call and play some poker
  • edited April 2012
    Totally standard.
  • edited April 2012
    fold pre with that stack

or

3 bet fold

no need to 3 bet jam if you think oppo is getting frisky on btn - oppo calling range will be beating you so... 3 bet fold 800 or something

or

just flat if oppo is fire fire bet like a monkey
  • edited April 2012
    3 bet folding - Do I really wanna be sticking in 8 of my 27BBs only to fold? And if he's very active/aggro does he not sometimes rejam with worse hands?
  • edited April 2012
    I would have done the same thing.
  • edited April 2012
    This isn't personal Lambert so Please dont take it so. I'm going to disagree with everyone else.

I think it is too much of a risky play.  You are in the middle of the field, with a healthy 27 BB's, you put your entire tournament life on A 10 Suited.  Sorry mate but that is not a good enough hand to be making that play with.

Call see a flop, miss it, fold to his bet whenever it comes, and you still have around 25BB and plenty of time to qualify.

Remember this is a sat so it's about getting across the finish line even if it's just with one chip.  That was a play of someone who was playing a tournament and wanted to get a chip stack to win it.

Almost everyone else who has replied is a better player than me, so they're prob right.  Just felt quite strongly about this one so thought I'd stick my tuppence worth in 
  • edited April 2012

Options pre

fold: give up poker and take up knitting imo

call: Personally I think this is the best given your reads, so long as you have a plan to c/r lots of flops you miss

shove: well its likely profitable, but you turn your hand into a bluff. AT not quite the same as 72 here, but it it is the same as A2

3b/c: Ok if you think he 4bets a wide enough range. Not sure he does when you have no reads posted on his 4betting range, whether you have been 3betting

3b/f. Again turns our hand into a bluff but is likely profitable. Risks us folding against some hands we should call against. Leaves us a playable stack if he shoves

• edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Terrible Play or Unlucky?:
    3 bet folding - Do I really wanna be sticking in 8 of my 27BBs only to fold? And if he's very active/aggro does he not sometimes rejam with worse hands?
    Posted by Lambert180
    lol then fold

do you wanna stick in 27bb and get called like always and you will be behind ?

By jamming your only hoping oppo folds better, what hands do you think call that you beat

Yeah jamming you got like FE a plenty but if you 3bet a frisky btn then btn should fold - or call with worse and then you can play some nice pokerz if you get a nice flop - obviously if btn floats you pre and you miss flop then c/f grrrrrrrr or if you hit then c/c yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa - or w/e flop and you c/r frisky btn c bet  boooooooooooom
  • edited April 2012
    Options pre fold: give up poker and take up knitting imo call: Personally I think this is the best given your reads, so long as you have a plan to c/r lots of flops you miss shove: well its likely profitable, but you turn your hand into a bluff. AT not quite the same as 72 here, but it it is the same as A2 3b/c: Ok if you think he 4bets a wide enough range. Not sure he does when you have no reads posted on his 4betting range, whether you have been 3betting 3b/f. Again turns our hand into a bluff but is likely profitable. Risks us folding against some hands we should call against. Leaves us a playable stack if he shoves
    Posted by grantorino
    I disagree because I do think players could call with A8,A9 here... 
    esp if villain thinks hero is just playing back vs a constant btn raise
  • edited April 2012
    [QUOTE
    Imo call: Personally I think this is the best given your reads, so long as you have a plan to c/r lots of flops you miss,
    Posted by grantor no
    Interested in this GT,  did you mean c/f? 
    Considering there will be 750 in the pot. What do you think minty’s actions would be on the flop? If he bets pot can we raise/shove? I agree with Jockbmw, given the tourney and stacks.
  • edited April 2012
    If we 3bet and get stationed we only have a pot sized bullet post flop.

How do we play stronger hands here?  AKAQAAKKQQ?  Personally I prob shove, as any 3bet I make will be slightly bigger oop, again leaving us only a pot sized bullet.  Only reason to make a 3bet to 850ish imo would be a) to make our hand look stronger than it really is vs buttons supposed range b) to snap off/induce a shove.

Because I ship all my stronger hands here for value - with pretty aggro image, feeling worse likely calls from stacks - + based on the slightly tricky stack size, I would only be shipping here or flatting.  Never ever a spot to 3bet as button will likely peel IP anyhow & doubtful we are 3betting to snap tbh.

Dont hate a shove.  Dont hate a flat.  Slightly lean towards a shove though.

Will also likely shutdown buttons trigger finger in following orbits also, if we are aggro as standard. 
  • edited April 2012
    Hi Lambert
    Without looking at other probably more assured reads I do feel that the shove with ur stack size is a little rash. Villain hasn't limped though a lot min raise these days don't they? I think your logic is sound enough though for the shove. I'd probably have called and seen the flop but some would say that's the worst option after folding. For your thinking your shove is sound but IMO , I wouldn't.
    Anyway, that's poker.....just as long as the Blues win tomorrow eh? Cheers
  • edited April 2012
    @glenelg, I doubt he fires potsized cbets if he opens 90% of btns, and I meant c/r

I dont think villain will flat a small 3bet often, is he really going to peel ip with only a potsize bet behind (assuming he's not a fish)

With regard to percival and amybr comments, its pretty image dependent and lambert hasnt posted any history between them, so Im assuming he hasnt being 3betting his btn opens too often. I dont expect him to call off 24BB more with A8 or KQ too often without a pretty interesting dynamic between them.

Im not really against any of the options except folding to the open.  
  • edited April 2012
    @glenelg, I doubt he fires potsized cbets if he opens 90% of btns, and I meant c/r I dont think villain will flat a small 3bet often, is he really going to peel ip with only a potsize bet behind (assuming he's not a fish) With regard to percival and amybr comments, its pretty image dependent and lambert hasnt posted any history between them, so Im assuming he hasnt being 3betting his btn opens too often. I dont expect him to call off 24BB more with A8 or KQ too often without a pretty interesting dynamic between them. Im not really against any of the options except folding to the open.  
    Posted by grantorino

Grr really beginning to get annoyed @ typing a post then spam coming up and locking it out....

We arent exactly shoving looking to get a call here, although I do feel there is the potential to be called by worse,

Think we can force out some even money flips with the solid ship.  I dont like our alternative tbh.  Flatting what we perceive as best hand oop to c/f flop majority of time vs almost assured cbet or making an ugly 3bet that is simply for the basis of information if we know we are snap folding to a shove - or leaves us in very bad territory on flop stack/pot wise when pf 3bet gets stationed IP

We can pick up 500 w/out running a board increasing our stack by 20%, while discouraging button moves in future orbits.

Unless button is tooight I pretty much always ship here.  When called I think we get the last bet in vs coinflips, wrse and even better hands we have equity vs.  We find a way to win pre/flip/ or behind with equity we can be much more confident on taking a seat.
  • edited April 2012
    @glenelg, I doubt he fires potsized cbets if he opens 90% of btns, and I meant c/r I dont think villain will flat a small 3bet often, is he really going to peel ip with only a potsize bet behind (assuming he's not a fish) With regard to percival and amybr comments, its pretty image dependent and lambert hasnt posted any history between them, so Im assuming he hasnt being 3betting his btn opens too often. I dont expect him to call off 24BB more with A8 or KQ too often without a pretty interesting dynamic between them. Im not really against any of the options except folding to the open.  
    Posted by grantorino

Well I disagree with this, you can fold this spot very easily
    Such a level spot, oppo will fold worse and call with better without dynamics
    If you really want to play back at frisky btn then ignore your cards and 3 bet atc

Just because btn is opening btn a lot doesn't mean you should hang your hat on A10

reverse the level and show oppo a hand -

if oppo is raising btn lots then oppo is either folding to a raise or calling/jamming with better

but anyway in a sat at this stage with no antes and that stack =FOLD OR 3 B/F
    You obviously take away the burden with more reads, so 3 b/f atc before this and what does oppo do - if you get my drift
    If oppo been raising btn lots then just 3 bet atc and say "Oi Behave!"
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Terrible Play or Unlucky? : Grr really beginning to get annoyed @ typing a post then spam coming up and locking it out.... We arent exactly shoving looking to get a call here, although I do feel there is the potential to be called by worse, Think we can force out some even money flips with the solid ship.  I dont like our alternative tbh.  Flatting what we perceive as best hand oop to c/f flop majority of time vs almost assured cbet or making an ugly 3bet that is simply for the basis of information if we know we are snap folding to a shove - or leaves us in very bad territory on flop stack/pot wise when pf 3bet gets stationed IP We can pick up 500 w/out running a board increasing our stack by 20%, while discouraging button moves in future orbits. Unless button is tooight I pretty much always ship here.  When called I think we get the last bet in vs coinflips, wrse and even better hands we have equity vs.  We find a way to win pre/flip/ or behind with equity we can be much more confident on taking a seat.
    Posted by AMYBR

Like I said I dont hate shoving

If I flat Im not c/f everytime I miss

Well the 3bet is really a bluff if we are 3b/f, I would think we get some hands we would like to fold to fold. Bluffing AT seems kinda bad to me here though, esp as the part of his range he folds that we beat flip with is so small. But we can still pick up 500 uncontested a lot.

Shoving is much the same although it may increase our fe and stops him reshoving worse or small pairs, Im not so sure shoving />3b/c though. Agree the fact we have some half decent equity against everything but AA is helpful if we want to shove or 3b/c

Yeah spr will be awkward if he flats, but unless hes a fish or slowplays KK+ he wont flat
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Terrible Play or Unlucky? : Well I disagree with this, you can fold this spot very easily Such a level spot, oppo will fold worse and call with better without dynamics If you really want to play back at frisky btn then ignore your cards and 3 bet atc Just because btn is opening btn a lot doesn't mean you should hang your hat on A10 reverse the level and show oppo a hand - if oppo is raising btn lots then oppo is either folding to a raise or calling/jamming with better but anyway in a sat at this stage with no antes and that stack =FOLD OR 3 B/F You obviously take away the burden with more reads, so 3 b/f atc before this and what does oppo do - if you get my drift If oppo been raising btn lots then just 3 bet atc and say "Oi Behave!"
    Posted by rancid
    Fold AT to a btn open from a guy who opens 90%? You can, you can fold KK too if you like

Our hand is pretty stroing to 3b/f, but yeah if you want to turn it into atc and do this its ok. You will also be getting close to the required equity to call v most ranges though. If our only other option is to fold we are turning it into atc anyway
  • edited April 2012
    Well the only way btn is getting it in versus us with worse is if there is a lot of history with hero 3 betting btns opens a fair few and then maybe btn jams on our 3 bet or even calls our jam

As it's a sat I would want more equity with that stack given that dynamic, btn may be aggro aggro waiting for a spot where blinds play back wider than btn calling range - don't see why we would wait till btn opens for the 20th time and just jam and level ourselves without being involved in previous action

These spots I feel require dynamics, this is like a snap jam I have had enough spot -

FOLD IS EZ
  • edited April 2012
    I stick by the earlier post, but it being a sat we can argue for making a tight fold.  Finding a spot where we have less resistance and more working in a favour. 

If oppo is tooight I prob take this line.

But as is I get it in for all the reasons stated.

GT & Rancid check your inbox.
  • edited April 2012
    Maybe I'm wrong but the way I see it, there's 450 in the pot which could be an additional 20% to my stack... Now what does he raise the button with considering how often he's raising the button... 22+, maybe any Ace, K9+, Q9+, J9+, tons of connector cards, tons of suited 1 gappers, maybe more than this. Then how many hands does he call a shove with... probably less than 5% of the hands he's gonna raise with?

I have decent equity against virtually any hand (other than AA) and have a VERY high chance of taking it down pre-flop.
  • edited April 2012
    Much too deep for this play.
  • edited April 2012
    its easy s[ot to shove with this shove u are getting pair 7s down to fold from initial raiser and same hand as u a9 a8 etc to fold imo i think its a fine shove to get extra 450 chips and i think its +ev 
  • edited April 2012
    its easy s[ot to shove with this shove u are getting pair 7s down to fold from initial raiser and same hand as u a9 a8 etc to fold imo i think its a fine shove to get extra 450 chips and i think its +ev 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    yeah cos its awesome when he folds A8
  • edited April 2012

I would be very tempted to hit the fold button pre in a sattelite in this situation with these stacks against that villain, as i know he will rarely raise fold and he certainly wont call with worse. Also agree with GT, that our hand may as well be A2. If im playing well i fold, and i do have a good record in these sats playing risk adverse stuff.
    But, if i am playing this hand, i ship it pre alot against what seems to be a serial button raiser (fwiw i dont think the villain is this, i think he just happened to have hands).

I hate the idea of 3 bet folding!

p.s lambert, i seem to remember a lot of similar SPT sat threads from you, you dont seem to have much luck do ya? Hope you bag your seat soon mate. 

• edited April 2012
    Maybe I'm wrong but the way I see it, there's 450 in the pot which could be an additional 20% to my stack... Now what does he raise the button with considering how often he's raising the button... 22+, maybe any Ace, K9+, Q9+, J9+, tons of connector cards, tons of suited 1 gappers, maybe more than this. Then how many hands does he call a shove with... probably less than 5% of the hands he's gonna raise with? I have decent equity against virtually any hand (other than AA) and have a VERY high chance of taking it down pre-flop.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Simple risk versus reward

The whole reason raise sizes have got smaller is because of this, where you can open and 3 bet smaller and no need to commit or jam. Combined with the game becoming more aggressive, players realised even though you get involved a lot more you don't need to be putting a lot of chips in the middle.

jamming stack to win 450 is not required, when a 3 bet to 800 does the same job.

Against oppo calling range your equity doesn't get above 40%, unless there is like a lot of history between you.

Why would you bang it in and be happy at best to be 40%, because that's what your doing effectivly

With our FE what hands do we hope oppo folds in a btn v sb set up

As GT states before there are options here, depends on dynamics.

Actually choosing the best option would imo depend on the history between you

A shove is only getting called by A9/A8/KQ/22-99 if there has been a history between you both on the table
    If oppo calls your jam with the range above then he must think you have nothing or very little, and to create the "I have nothing, I am just 3 betting you again or just jamming air" there has to be history

Picking up A10 with that stack with no history with oppo and just jamming it in the eye, is IMHO just not required

It would seem it's an option that's just easy and because your oop it would just seem the obvious anwser.

I mean you could even flat if you wanna play pokerz, we could c/c, c/f or c/r flop - obviously not the easiest route but sometimes we have to go with it

Honestly if the spot feels uncomforatble because of situation and your NOT 100% sure of what to do, then fold

Similar to 20bb stack and picking up 22 UTG, easy fold right )