You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Heads Up, Got him, Or do I?

edited April 2012 in The Poker Clinic
OK was I being too smart for my own good here.  Had a 2 to 1 chip lead and was very comfortable against this chap.  I limped in deliberately to try and induce the shove and I got what I wanted.  
Would I have been better just grinding him down with a reiase pre flop and hoping to take down a small pot and keep on playing.  Did I go for the jugular too soon?
Hand History #505343819 (14:21 13/04/2012)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceJockBMWSmall blind 15.0015.002230.00VillanBig blind 30.0045.00725.00 Your hole cardsAQ   JockBMWCall 15.0060.002215.00VillanAll-in 725.00785.000.00JockBMWCall 725.001510.001490.00JockBMWShowAQ   VillanShow8A   Flop  J75   Turn  K   River  5   VillanWinFlush to the Ace1510.00 1510.0

Comments

• edited April 2012
    You had a plan, and it worked perfectly :D

You're gonna win this like, 67% of the time? 

And the times you lose it, you're still left with 50% of chips in play, as well as a solid read, and a skill edge.

Add all that together and you're left with a very impressive winrate/ROI :)
  • edited April 2012
    yeah like doh said you had the plan you got him allin when you had him crushed just vul m8

also how did your coaching session go with coxy?.

said to him a while ago as soon get roll for 50nl might consider asking him for a sessions because when I`ve been at 50nl before a few times and just cant seem to move forward.
  • edited April 2012
    My post sounded really results orientated, as we can see his hand.

Should just add AQ is plenty strong enough to make this play against his range. 

Dont wanna get told off :P
  • edited April 2012
    I'd only do this if you occasionaly limp with not so premium hands to balance yourself
  • edited April 2012
    This thread seems kind or silly tbh, unlike the other threads which directly ask "is this silly?" :p

You got what you wanted & got it in miles ahead.  I probably make a small raise, but only because I always do atc here.

NH UL
  • edited April 2012
    Yeah as people have said above, I probably make my standard raise to about 75, still gives him plenty of opportunity to shove and think he can pinch it. But as others said, you had a plan, it worked and you were a big favourite.

I guess the underlying point in your question was did you go for the jugular too soon (should you be avoiding races and grinding him down slowly).  The thing with these HUs is that as he gets around to this chip stack or maybe a bit lower, for most players they only have one weapon in their game and that is to shove. So unless you wanna hand over chips easily or wait for a monster (and hope he gets it in with you) you need to be working out what your calling range is for his shove, which should be pretty wide. In these spots, I don't like to raise too often (that doesn't mean at all) with hands where I don't intend to call his shove.

So I'd be raising with probably Ax, KT+, QT+ and all PPs all with the intention of calling his shove. A good majority of the time, you will just be stealing his blinds and at least keep yourself level with the amount of times he open shoves and you fold.
  • edited April 2012
    induce is good wp

ul 

raising bvb from the sb is just yuk - but thats just me )
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Heads Up, Got him, Or do I?:
    induce is good wp ul  raising bvb from the sb is just yuk - but thats just me )
    Posted by rancid
    Did you have a bad experience with the small blind as a child?

raising the btn HU (or even any situation in an unopened pot from sb) with AQ is yuk? Why on earth do you think this?

OP, hand is fine. If you dont openlimp ever though I prefer minraise and call it off.Depends on your style though openshoving it can be fine too
  • edited April 2012
    lol @ above but have to agree.

wont raise A10 bonb from small @ 6max, AQ HU from sb is yuk?????????
  • edited April 2012
    Virtually nothing is yuk HU as long as it comes with a bet/raise
  • edited April 2012
    You had a read that paid off meaning you had a 72% chance of ending the game right here, just keep doing this and you'll win lots. 

FWIW I would raise most times OTB and then obvz snap any AI.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Heads Up, Got him, Or do I?:
    In Response to Re: Heads Up, Got him, Or do I? : Did you have a bad experience with the small blind as a child? raising the btn HU (or even any situation in an unopened pot from sb) with AQ is yuk? Why on earth do you think this? OP, hand is fine. If you dont openlimp ever though I prefer minraise and call it off.Depends on your style though openshoving it can be fine too
    Posted by grantorino
    wow I should pay attention in class, didn't realise it was HU lol
  • edited April 2012
    You got him a peach, dealer got you.

I can't see this playing out any other way. I reckon villian most likely shoving pre to any raise or calling if you shove (and generally not wrong to do so) - so same result.
    I'd be happy you got your chips in as 7:3fav at 16bb as there isn't much grinding left!
    Even if villain only shoving top 10% you still on the right side of a coin flip, so with the dead money it's +ev as played.