You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What did i do here to allow this to happen?

edited April 2012 in The Poker Clinic

About an hour into this tournament i hadnt fires 3 barrells and shown my cards at any point on this table. Also i haven't played out of posistion or many hands prior to this. This player has not played against me frequently as don't play cash often and wouldn't sit at a table he is at if i was so he wouldn't have extensive notes.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
raymon1969 Small blind  30.00 30.00 2775.00
RemyMartin Big blind  60.00 90.00 2485.00
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • J

Batkin88 Raise  180.00 270.00 5227.50
EBBERDON Call  180.00 450.00 4860.00
mogsy1957 Fold     
tomo71 Fold     
raymon1969 Fold     
RemyMartin Fold     
Flop

Batkin88 Bet  225.00 675.00 5002.50
EBBERDON Call  225.00 900.00 4635.00
Turn

Batkin88 Bet  480.00 1380.00 4522.50
EBBERDON Call  480.00 1860.00 4155.00
River

• A

Batkin88 Bet  930.00 2790.00 3592.50
EBBERDON Call  930.00 3720.00 3225.00
Batkin88 Show
  • Q
  • J

EBBERDON Show

EBBERDON Win Pair of 5s 3720.00

Comments

• edited April 2012
    online soulread ftw :p
  • edited April 2012
    I have to say that I hate playing QJ utg. It's such a bad hand: If you see a flop you're ahead of very little, dominated by a great deal and never sure where you are when you hit. You're also very likely to be playing out of position. I'd just fold QJ pre-flop and not give it a second thought.

Having played it, I like your bet size on the flop and turn. Half-pot is pretty standard and carries a consistent line. The only thing I'd do differently is on the river. It's unlikely that our opponent has been calling us down this far with an Ace so we need to think about what we would do if we had a monster. If we had a set, a big Ace or an over-pair, surely we would bet bigger on the river after being called on the flop and turn. So I think a bet of 3/4 pot or so would fit your story better and would have been more likely to get through... With that said, I'm really just nit-picking.

You've carried on betting and fired all three barrells. It looks like Ebberdon was just determined to call you down on a dry board and you might not have got it through if you'd bet any more. I think there was one tiny crack in your story on the river but I actually think you played it very well. I'm surprised by the call since there are so few draws that you could have been betting with that Ebberdon could have put you on. Never mind. As AMYBR said; he simply read your soul... or was a bit tilty.
  • edited April 2012
    Yeah for the record i am not saying or intending he played it badly i respect this players game 100% i just wanted to know what I done wrong and yeah maybe the board was too dry to fire 3 barrels with the ace coming down. Didn't expect a set as a raise on the turn would of come IMO and definately didnt put on an ace as if AT probably also re raising turn but also didnt put it into his range due to calling posistion pre.
  • edited April 2012
    QJo UTG defo on the cusp but good to fold as likely get call from next 3 players and be OOP with a reverse implied odds hand.

Flop cbet fine, tbh on turn although it's really weak/nitty whatever but I just give up as you're only repping overpairs and A10/K10 here and with those you'd probably bet more on both streets for value. If turn was A/K obvz Q/J then defo fire but OOP on such a bone dry 4 card board, and flop call most likely won't fold turn as 6 changes very little apart from 79 and raising that UTG would be rare.

Having bet that turn river is a 100% bet as it's the perfect card to rep and the sizing for me is fine too as looks valuey. 

Fact he stationed down 3 streets is amazing but just make sure you have a hand next time and take dat fella to value town ;).
  • edited April 2012
    He could have called yr initial raise with anything including pp's as he has position. Having missed I would have checked down and lost less or put in a small bluff bet at the end if he only checked down also.
    U could have lost only 180 if he had shown strength at any time.
  • edited April 2012
    Does everyone valuebet river if we have say A9?

your play is fine imo, as long as 1/2 pot is your standard
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: What did i do here to allow this to happen?:
    Does everyone valuebet river if we have say A9? your play is fine imo, as long as 1/2 pot is your standard
    Posted by grantorino
    This is the perfect post which i didnt realise until now the c-bet half pot isn't my standard but i would never of realised this and this is 100% a leak in my game at the moment. I think i'm playing scared at the moment which is unlike me but the downswing is contributing to this.
    Thank you
  • edited April 2012
    i respect this players game 100%
    Well if he's calling like that against you and you know it, how do you ever lose to him?
  • edited April 2012
    lol playing some Monday tournements for the 1st time and got busted with KK already(level2)to a regular on the site which was what im expecting as well as  the other 2 as well
    Gonna write these down and let you know.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: What did i do here to allow this to happen? : This is the perfect post which i didnt realise until now the c-bet half pot isn't my standard but i would never of realised this and this is 100% a leak in my game at the moment. I think i'm playing scared at the moment which is unlike me but the downswing is contributing to this. Thank you
    Posted by Batkin88
    +1 consistent sizing FTW
  • edited April 2012

Hi Batkin88,

Thank you for your post, If you would like us to analyse this hand on tomorrows Poker Clinic Show at 8pm, please post your hand ID and which tournament its from.
    Unfortunately we can only show hands from tables with the TV icon.

All the best

TV TEAM