You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A few losing hands

edited April 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Ok as some may know i am going through a bit of a tough time on here at the moment. I decided to sit down and grind 2 nl10 cash games tonight and play the 3 dtd tourneys. I actually played well in the MTT's got it in ahead and lost a few times but also got it in behind and won a few aswell. Made a small profit so the downswing on hold :)
I have searched my hand history only for losing hands over £2 in the last 6 hours there are 6 in total (Is that good/bad or average?? )

Here are a few 

1) PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceFudleySmall blind £0.05£0.05£14.77carty10Big blind £0.10£0.15£9.47garazmafiaSit out     Your hole cardsQQ   ThomasoFold    dgw69Fold    Batkin88Raise £0.30£0.45£8.57FudleyCall £0.25£0.70£14.52carty10Raise £0.60£1.30£8.87Batkin88All-in £8.57£9.87£0.00FudleyFold    carty10Call £8.17£18.04£0.70carty10ShowA10   Batkin88ShowQQ   Flop  695   Turn  A   River  5   carty10WinTwo Pairs, Aces and 5s£16.68 £17.38

2) I think i should fold turn or call river looking back

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancewenelinhoSmall blind £0.05£0.05£9.25Bricktop01Big blind £0.10£0.15£12.57 Your hole cardsJK   Batkin88Raise £0.30£0.45£22.55kingeckCall £0.30£0.75£6.09Curt360x27Fold    jigstarCall £0.30£1.05£6.28wenelinhoFold    Bricktop01Call £0.20£1.25£12.37Flop  8J4   Bricktop01Check    Batkin88Bet £0.94£2.19£21.61kingeckCall £0.94£3.13£5.15jigstarFold   <td class="hhamt" style="text-align:right !important;padding-bottom:7px;margin:0px;padding-left:5px;padding-right:5px;font-family:verdana;color:#666666;font-size:0.9em;

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Made a loss of £0.62p this session i think mainly because of the QQ hand. Also reason i shoved as this player had joined this table with £1.90 and basically called two all ins with weak hands and binked and ended up with this stack and this was within about 2 orbits so i knew i wasnt losing my customer 90% of the time here
  • edited April 2012
    1. That's a mega big 4bet shove. I'd probably 4bet smaller cos I'm impressed you got a call there (maybe it's this crazy image you have) but yeah then you just get outdrawn when you're a big favourite.

2. Yeah fold turn or call river, think I prefer to fold turn.

3. Maybe I'm too nitty but I think you can fold to the flop raise. When it gets checked back to you, there are very few hands that do that where you're ahead.

EDIT: Just saw your comment about the shove in hand 1 so yeah I guess that's fair enough. It's just standard, you were about 80% favourite giong in, you just got unlucky.
  • edited April 2012
    These arent great "losing" hands tbh, but slightly losing play 

1, whatevers, shove is bad

2, fold pre, c/f turn

3, on dry flop when raised your A5 is never good, albeit NL10 but still a fold, im likely to check flop, if i were to bet i c-bet smaller like ~65.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: A few losing hands:
    These arent great "losing" hands tbh, but slightly losing play  1, whatevers, shove is bad 2, fold pre, c/f turn 3, on dry flop when raised your A5 is never good, albeit NL10 but still a fold, im likely to check flop, if i were to bet i c-bet smaller like ~65.
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    Can you explain why you think the shove is bad? I don't disagree but just saying whatevers shove is bad isnt really helping is it because i may lose my customer?
    Why would i fold KJ pre here 6 max?? Surely if it's part of my range (which it is) I have to open with a raise?
  • edited April 2012
    Are you happy with your fold on the middle hand?

If so, why?

The 7 brought in a straight draw, but nothing else.  Did you fold because of the river card, or because of the size of the bet?

IMHO, if you call the turn, then you have to call the river too.

Worst case scenario, you lose the hand but your colleagues know that you cannot be pushed off top pair.

• edited April 2012
    Are you happy with your fold on the middle hand? If so, why? The 7 brought in a straight draw, but nothing else.  Did you fold because of the river card, or because of the size of the bet? IMHO, if you call the turn, then you have to call the river too. Worst case scenario, you lose the hand but your colleagues know that you cannot be pushed off top pair.
    Posted by Padzz77
    No i think i should be folding the turn tbh but if i call the turn i should call the river but i got to the river and realised i should never of called the turn lol
  • edited April 2012
    1. 4bt smaller and call AI, shoving loses value imo. 

2. UTG just about a fold (don't worry about ranges at this level, most won't even notice), turn really bad card so got to check fold, if call turn got to call river.

3. Probably fold pre vs shortish stack but raise ok too. Flop very easy B/F, when he raises he should ALWAYS have better espech on that bone dry flop, if he has a bluff fair play but without reads has to be fold. Again you're folding a street late on turn when has to be on flop so leaking money in these spots which adds up. 
  • edited April 2012
    On the first hand i can see the argument for calling or shoving. If you know he's weak and is liable to have a go with rubbish then a shove will surely mean he'll call and from how you described him, you're likely to be ahead a lot of the time.

Because you had reads on the player i think the shove is fine, although might not have been if you were readless/against someone else.
  • edited April 2012
    1, meh you probz shouldn't shove as you're losing value most of the time but you knew your opponent and you got your money in as a 80% fave 

2, pre's fine, I'd make it 0.4 utg tho, wp imo - no way you should be c/f to that turn card - I'd probz b/f, I also think c/r would be ok vs villains stack, esp if you think he's a fish/donk, he'd probz go broke with less, if not you're drawing to Jd

3, pre is good - I think b/f is ok READLESS! you have no reads on villain? 

also it seems your play is improving imo - the hands you're posting seem to be played much better than previous posts
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: A few losing hands : Can you explain why you think the shove is bad? I don't disagree but just saying whatevers shove is bad isnt really helping is it because i may lose my customer? Why would i fold KJ pre here 6 max?? Surely if it's part of my range (which it is) I have to open with a raise?
    Posted by Batkin88
    Yes losing value ovc, soz with the "whatevers", its in reference to the hand being a cooler.

kj is a fold pre tbh, i personally would not open a10o from utg, is a tough hand to play esp in EP vs stations that can call you IP, overall its not the most profitable hand to play either, no one cares about your range, and balancing you range is over-rated to some extent and its pretty much N/A at all micro levels imo.
  • edited April 2012
    1. Fine, you can 4b small but that sometimes loses value as well

2. Dont get what you are saying about KJ being in your range. Why is it in your range, also your range shouldnt be static. prob b/f turn, I'd be tempted to b/f

3. check back flop, as played fold to raise. wtf are you calling to fold turn blank

reads would help
  • edited April 2012

Thanks all i have picked up some decent things here especially folding a street late on two hands so really going to work on that. I think the shove has to kinda be a shove or call with queens on the basis this bloke is calling me with 72 o/s here so didnt really fancy 3 betting letting him see flop then not getting full stack if he misses. I would not of played this way without reads so maybe not a good one for the clinic as it was kinda table dependent.