You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

so confusing

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
Hey guys, i'm not normally a mtt player because i enjoy my DYM but currently playing in a mtt and have noticed that maybe the hand values drop quite significantly? would this be a fair assumption because where as i would never play the likes of a10 and a9, i find that i am coming up against the likes of a5 and very raggy aces, and therefore i feel i can get away with playing these marginal hands, in a DYM you dont see many calls with rag aces but i have seen quite a few in this.

my personal opinion is that the standard of play is better in DYM or am i being a little stupid and maybe its about changing your game for mtt's?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    hi webby

i am not an exprert by any means, but i think you are right to a certain extent.  In a DYM, the aim is simply to finish in the top 3 so marginal hands are going to be played less often.  In a MTT, only the top 10% are paid typically, so players neen to make moves more often if they are to cash.  In my mind, that would increase the playability of the raggy ace hands you refer to above.

Given that, i dont think that the standard of play is necessarily better in dym compared to mtt's.

Ray
  • edited November 2009
    I'm exactly the same man.

Usually play DYM, tried a 2.30 bounty hunter, found myself in a great position. One person moves all-in, i raise, chip leader calls me (he only had about 11k i had 9k). Anyhow he had ended up flopping trip 9's when i had pocket 10's

was a 4k raise and he called with q9 off-suit!
  • edited November 2009
    hi webby--you need to remember that on most sites there is a certain percentage of NUTTERS!----if this percentage is only 20% you could play a few dyms without encountering one, whereas in an mtt, you are certain to come accross quite a few----hope this helps---lol
  • edited November 2009

want to know why the fees are so big on dyms.

• edited November 2009
    in the early stages of tournaments, you find people willing to call or raise with anything.  Played in one recently and the guy raised the BB x4 regardless of position. He did this every hand.  Eventually he went out.

Tend to find thee better plays comes late in the tournament. 
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: so confusing:
    hi webby i am not an exprert by any means, but i think you are right to a certain extent.  In a DYM, the aim is simply to finish in the top 3 so marginal hands are going to be played less often.  In a MTT, only the top 10% are paid typically, so players neen to make moves more often if they are to cash.  In my mind, that would increase the playability of the raggy ace hands you refer to above. Given that, i dont think that the standard of play is necessarily better in dym compared to mtt's. Ray
    Posted by Buistyboy
    this basically sums it up, 50% paid in DYM, and no difference where you finish. however MTT top 10% paid with a great difference between payouts
  • edited November 2009
     want to know why the fees are so big on dyms.
    Posted by nirvana29
    Its exactly the same rake as for an MTT that is 10% of the buyin, for example £5.00 + £0.50.
  • edited November 2009
    in the early stages of tournaments, you find people willing to call or raise with anything.  Played in one recently and the guy raised the BB x4 regardless of position. He did this every hand.  Eventually he went out. Tend to find thee better plays comes late in the tournament. 
    Posted by Urdadi
    This.

The faster starters are almost always the first to fall. Just like the Grand National.

I pretty much sit-out the early stages of any tournament, becasuse these guys are dangerous & unpredictable, & you can't win a Tourney in Level One, but you can lose it.

By Level 5 or 6, the wheat has been sorted from the chaff, the game is so much easier then, & a small chip defecit at this stage is not a problem.

An exception to the "fast-starter" syndrome is Scotty 77. This boy gambles early, & if you let him get chips early doors, you have a problem, because he's full-on in-yer-face non stop aggo thereafter - great player. So I generally make a stand against him early - re-raise him two or 3 times with air, to send him a message, especially if he has Position. Has to be done, otherwise he will bully you to death.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: so confusing : This. The faster starters are almost always the first to fall. Just like the Grand National. I pretty much sit-out the early stages of any tournament, becasuse these guys are dangerous & unpredictable, & you can't win a Tourney in Level One, but you can lose it. By Level 5 or 6, the wheat has been sorted from the chaff, the game is so much easier then, & a small chip defecit at this stage is not a problem. An exception to the "fast-starter" syndrome is Scotty 77. This boy gambles early, & if you let him get chips early doors, you have a problem, because he's full-on in-yer-face non stop aggo thereafter - great player. So I generally make a stand against him early - re-raise him two or 3 times with air, to send him a message, especially if he has Position. Has to be done, otherwise he will bully you to death.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Everyone please note this! Ryan is to be watched ;)