You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

EXIT HAND - FINAL TABLE AT £300 UKIPT SIDE EVENT

edited April 2012 in The Poker Clinic

Hello guys,

I have just returned from the UKIPT at Dusk Til Dawn where I was fortunate enough to finish 3rd in the £300 side event for a payout of £7500.

I would welcome your opinions on my exit hand.

With 3 of us left myself and one another guy had about 20 big blinds each and the 3rd player had a massive chip lead.

I was on the button with an Ace/2 suited. I raised to somewhere between 2.5 and 3x.
The small blind who was the player with a similar sized stack to me looked very uncertain and then went all in.
The big blind chip leader folded.

So I was stuck with a suited ace with the worst possible kicker having already committed over 10% of my stack to my original raise (and was big blind again next hand). I knew the villain's range was fairly wide and I picked up that he was weak and desperate not be called so I thought there was a good chance he'd have King or even Queen high and called.

I was correct that he was weak and didn't want a call, but he turned over Pocket 3's meaning I had to come from behind, which I didn't and I was out and he went on to play heads up.

I know now I should have just gone all in with my 20bb big stack and put the decision on him, he would have folded his pocket 3's and I'd have picked up the blinds and antes and we'd move on to the next hand.

Once I had raised and he went all in though, what do people think I should have done then?
Would you have folded or called in that spot?

Look forward to your opinions.
MATT8

Comments

• edited April 2012
    I don't like open shoving here, but any raise HAS to be minimum, simply no need to make it more as you'll get same answer with both. 

Calling just depends on your reads and how much he's been shoving over raises previously, if its a lot snap it off, if he has hardly been out of line than fold as he should have better. 

Overall though I hate raise folding from 20bb stack espesh 3-handed with an Ace so would need strong reads to fold. 
  • edited April 2012
    Dont like shoving 20bbs 3 handed for me. 

Min raise folding your stack to 12-13 bbs imo and then open ship your stack if you go down that low.
  • edited April 2012
    depends what your doing with your air, small and bigger hands, I would assume the same - opening 2x or something tis good

3 handed you gotta be opening a lot so... raise/fold or call it off - reads and dynamics dependant 3 handed - can't really say in a vaccumm  - if oppo is capable of shoving back with K high then it's fine - if oppo only does this with pairs and Ax then I prefer a fold with A2

- well done on your cash - you must of played great to get this far so wohooooooooooo leand me a tenner )
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: EXIT HAND - FINAL TABLE AT £300 UKIPT SIDE EVENT:
    depends what your doing with your air, small and bigger hands, I would assume the same - opening 2x or something tis good 3 handed you gotta be opening a lot so... raise/fold or call it off - reads and dynamics dependant 3 handed - can't really say in a vaccumm  - if oppo is capable of shoving back with K high then it's fine - if oppo only does this with pairs and Ax then I prefer a fold with A2 - well done on your cash - you must of played great to get this far so wohooooooooooo leand me a tenner )
    Posted by rancid
    Sure I could donk you a couple on a cash table sometime soon mate ;-)
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: EXIT HAND - FINAL TABLE AT £300 UKIPT SIDE EVENT:
    I don't like open shoving here, but any raise HAS to be minimum, simply no need to make it more as you'll get same answer with both.  Calling just depends on your reads and how much he's been shoving over raises previously, if its a lot snap it off, if he has hardly been out of line than fold as he should have better.  Overall though I hate raise folding from 20bb stack espesh 3-handed with an Ace so would need strong reads to fold. 
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Thanks Dudeskin. Take your point my raise should have been minimum at that stage. Overall I think it was a really marginal spot; he hadn't been overshoving a lot but was certainly capable of it with worse than my Ace and the read I got was that he was quite weak, just unfortunate his weakness was a small pair that still put him way in front of me. Tough to be in such a marginal spot and lose when the ladder up to 2nd place was worth another £7k!