You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Deep Stack Tournaments - Top Tips?

I've got into Deep Stack tournies, anyone got any tips on how to

play them?

Comments

• edited May 2009
    Patience! You have so much more time to pick up hands so dont think that any ace is good enough to raise/see a flop with. Being patient and selective with your hand requirements means that if you're the sort of person who likes to make moves you'll get much more respect when you get round to it.

That said, don't try to make any moves, at least pre-flop, untill the antes have been introduced (assuming you don't play all of your deepstacked tourneys on Sky). Picking up dead money in blinds and antes will be crucial later on in the tournament so reserve all of your funky 3-bet-from-the-blinds-because-the-button-is-probably-stealing plays untill when the antes come into play as the pots will be much bigger, hence you're laying a better price to win the pot.

Other than that i'd just say go with the norm - you know, play position, don't defend your blinds too often (especially in the first few levels) etc.

Alternatively, play super loose to begin with and see cheap flops with your 56dd and 22 because you're getting massive implied odds if you flop a monster.

Take all of that with a pinch of salt if I were you, as I think I've only played 1 deepstack event that wasn't on Sky.
  • edited June 2009

Lots of tips, but I'll limit it to a few for now......

PATIENCE.

Do NOT mix it up with the speed merchants early doors. They will all go busto before halfway. Bide your time, no need to get serious in the first 6 or 8 levels.

OBSERVATION.

With a deep stack, & slow clock, you have time to get a feel for who is doing what. Watch who is in every hand - thats a BIG clue that they play "any two", who can, or cannot, Pass to a Re-Raise, who "calls light", who ignores Position. Absorb all that, & you have a big advantage over the field.

WHERE ARE WE?

That's relative to others, to the Blinds, how many get paid, how far off the money are we, da de da. I look at the Lobby once every Orbit to check this.

CURVE BALLS

Now and then, do something unexpected, out of character. It confuses the opponents no end.

REMEMBER THE BASICS

Don't Limp after Level 4, use Position, c-Bet, steal orphaned pots.

BET DON'T CALL

You can Bet with air, you  need a hand to Call. If the cards are not coming, nick a few hands.

AGGRESSION DIAL

The further you progress in a Tourney, the more aggressive you need to be. Turn up that Aggrerssion Dial as you go along.

VARIANCE

No matter how good you are, you will only Cash once every 3 or 4 Tourneys on average. Even the likes of Hellmuth do not cash much more than 1 time in 4. 

ENJOY

That's the ONLY reason to play.
  • edited June 2009

It's surprising how often you can make the money (or close to it) without playing a single hand. Be so tight that the pips squeak till you get to M<7 which takes a loooong time in a deep stack tourney.

• edited June 2009

I multi-table when playing a deep stack, 1 deep stack and 1 speed tournament, the speed game lasts maybe 1 hour, by the time this is over the deep stack blinds are getting big enough that you can start playing bigger pots.

• edited June 2009
    won the 350 gart last night played 5 pots in 1st hour got up 2 1000 chips after sencond hour up 2 15000 chips played about 8 pots after that got more invole and played more hands i would say slowly build up ur stack and be prepare 2 fold ace rag
  • edited June 2009
    dont play them.......the guarantee has just gone down (again)  they r only worth £350 now and take a lifetime to win the £100 for first
  • edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Deep Stack Tournaments - Top Tips?:
    dont play them.......the guarantee has just gone down (again)  they r only worth £350 now and take a lifetime to win the £100 for first
    Posted by huuuuume
    You had a good run the other night mate. Well done.