You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

3betting AK planning to fold to 4 v reg NL4

edited April 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Obviously not played in a while. Hand obiously i rekon Acidmans openung range is tight anyways but im always 3betting this spot. However after the hand had a discussion with dohhhhhhhh about folding here to a 4bet so thought id clinic it.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
play_sport Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.91
frankspen1 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £16.71
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

AcidMan27 Raise  £0.20 £0.26 £3.80
The_Don90 Raise  £0.84 £1.10 £3.32
chefo Fold     
play_sport Fold     
frankspen1 Fold     
AcidMan27 ??????

Comments

• edited April 2012

I think if your going to 3 bet I personally call off the 4 bet If you dont have the intention of getting it in after he 4 bets(if he does) just call the initial raise in 1st place and play hand in position and take it from there m8

• edited April 2012
    Your 3-bet is really big and about 1/5 of your stack. I assume that AcidMan shoves on you (You haven't actually shown us that) but I don't think we can give a 4-bet credit for being only AA or KK. It can be quite alot more than that since your 3-bet isn't necessarily perceived as monster strength. As it is, I don't think there's enough action to lay down the AK here. QQ, JJ, TT, 99, AQ could make this 4-bet or your opponent can just believe you're making a move on him, isolating in position, so could potentially 4-bet quite light...

The significance of your large bet size can be viewed by your opponent in two ways:
    i) You have a big hand and want to get as much in before the flop as possible.
    ii) You don't have a big hand and have bet big as an attempt to take down the pot pre-flop.

Having put 1/5 of your stack in the middle, I think it would be a mistake to fold to a shove. Enough of his 4-betting range is hands that you beat or are flipping with to make it the right call. When facing a 5-bet or 6-bet I think you can make more of an argument for folding but the 4-bet doesn't narrow his range enough.

You also need to have a plan when making the 3-bet about what you'll do when facing a 4-bet. If it's just going to be a fold then maybe you shouldn't make the 3-bet at all.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to 3betting AK planning to fold to 4 v reg NL4:
    Obviously not played in a while. Hand obiously i rekon Acidmans openung range is tight anyways but im always 3betting this spot. However after the hand had a discussion with dohhhhhhhh about folding here to a 4bet so thought id clinic it. Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance play_sport Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £2.91 frankspen1 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £16.71   Your hole cards K A       AcidMan27 Raise   £0.20 £0.26 £3.80 The_Don90 Raise   £0.84 £1.10 £3.32 chefo Fold         play_sport Fold         frankspen1 Fold         AcidMan27 ??????
    Posted by The_Don90

WAT

call if you have to fold to a 4bet.
  • edited April 2012
    ye dont 3 bet if your not calling a ship, or you are essentially bluffing with AK!
  • edited April 2012
    Why are we getting into pots with other regs when there's much easier money from the fish? In any other game, 3-bet it all day long, but @ 4NL where all regs are going to be playing really nitty, I think there's a case for flatting to keep the weaker part of opponent's range (AJ/AQ/KQ) in the hand or maybe even folding, and avoiding getting into pots with regs unless we've got an absolute monster.

If I feel a reg is opening too many pots and I decide I'm going to 3-bet/fold, I'd rather do this move with a random junk hand, rather than a hand where we're likely already ahead as there's value in just flat calling AK and getting opponent to pay us off when we hit top pair and have our opponent outkicked.

Bottom line: Don't 3-bet fold if you're not happy getting it in with AK, and if you are going to make this move, you'd be better off doing it with some junk so you don't waste the value that you have with a premium hand like AK.
  • edited April 2012
    call if your going to be folding to a 4 bet

playing AK as a drawing hand versus regs at NL4 is best imo

if u 3 bet then jam on the 4 bet obviosuly )
  • edited April 2012
    3betting is fine if you're happy getting it in but that sizing against a REG is too much for me, 50-60p POSSIBLY allows him to bluff more (not that he would at this level lol), 84p is burning more money if you do fold to 4bets often.

Of course if you don't want to get it in pre then just flat IP and see what the flop brings.
  • edited April 2012
    why on earth are you 3betting so big if you are folding to a 4bet

Without really clear reads on both flatting and 4betting ranges of villain either flat or 3b/5b. I doubt a reg flats much oop when you 3bet massive v his ep open, so 3b/f sucks imo