You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

was this a fold?

edited April 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hi im a relatively new player trying to achieve something like recreationally correct player to help improve my general game, anyway this hand happened earlier and it has bugged me thinking i won but should i have?

2 things - i first though an utg raise meant 8 or 9 unlikely unless pocket 8/9 but reassessing the min raise could this be a sign of slightly more speculative holding?

my bets did get progressively less in relation to the pot - more pot control than anything. this more than likely led to the raise on the turn.  should i have folded? or is my assumption that firstly a flush would never raise esp as i have Ah? so it really is a 8 or 9 which i would make it to mean quads? or is it a good placed bluff that i with much deliberation shouldn't have called ?

or maybe i was right to call? or bet larger on the streets?
Thanks for any thoughts!!

ps on table maybe 10 mins and not really had much to go on in terms of ranges/ bluffing potential etc.
dgw69 Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £10.12
snakederck Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £8.19
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

vladibg Fold     
Assasin10 Raise  £0.16 £0.28 £8.18
neluck Fold     
Tingo Fold     
dgw69 Fold     
snakederck Raise  £0.32 £0.60 £7.87
Assasin10 Call  £0.24 £0.84 £7.94
Flop

snakederck Bet  £0.42 £1.26 £7.45
Assasin10 Call  £0.42 £1.68 £7.52
Turn

snakederck Bet  £0.60 £2.28 £6.85
Assasin10 Call  £0.60 £2.88 £6.92
River

snakederck Bet  £0.60 £3.48 £6.25
Assasin10 Raise  £2.64 £6.12 £4.28
snakederck Call  £2.04 £8.16 £4.21
Assasin10 Show
  • J
  • Q

snakederck Show
  • A
  • A

snakederck Win Two Pairs, Aces and 9s £7.54

Comments

• edited April 2012
    You can 3bet pre MUCH bigger, 50p minimum for me. 

Flop bet bigger.

Turn bet bigger.

River bad card as all his 9x hands are ahead and after calling two streets that's a decent part of range but could also be uber slow-played 8 or JT that missed. Slow played flush as well is a part of it although doubt they'd raise double-paired board with it. 

In terms of getting value on river possibly TT-KK pays you of but JJ+ most likely get it in pre at this level so probz just TT that can call. Random Ace high aswell but tough when you have AA. 

Overall I'd just C/F river or C/C if you think they can bluff.

If you bet it has to be to Bet/Fold as he should never have bluffs here and longterm you defo lose money making this call, at least without great reads.
  • edited April 2012
    Hi,

Thank you for your post, If you would like us to analyse this hand on tomorrows Poker Clinic Show at 8pm, please post your hand ID and which tournament/Cash Table its from.
    Unfortunately we can only show hands from tables with the TV icon.

All the best

TV TEAM
  • edited April 2012
    bigger pre, flop and turn

c/f river
  • edited April 2012
    cool thanks for that! def understand the half pots a bit on the smallside and i have been finding it hard in general to 'shoot 3 times' when i miss completly ie should i have had ak. question pre - its already heads up so his 16p i have charged and extra 3blinds - 24p. is there an agrument that any more will scare away draw hands low pairs that you want action from resulting less value or is a 3bet of pretty much 3x the raise a better course of action
  • edited April 2012
    c/f river is lol,

Because you bet small through the streets he could call with anything, 10j, 77, 2 overs etc so does not define his hand only to a 9x that's pretty generous,  3-bet bigger pre YES, i tend to make it bigger with all my hands from the blinds, there is a lot of value pre-flop since players want to see flops; simple, so charge them more imo. 

OTR just because the 9 comes, it would be rili-bad to auto pilot c/f, you bet is tiny so expect to be bluffed at when you are tempting you oppo to think he has fold equity, with a nice pot. River i prob c/c if he called with 77,66,10j etc then he is not going to call a river bet, so checking allows him to bluff at it.

Next time m8 to get the best analysis from the hand blank out the outcome, so you get no bias comments; as my 2p worth could be accused of exactly that...

p.s good first post
  • edited April 2012
    @ snakederck - Reason you can raise more pre is because at these levels people rarely give much attention to bet sizing as they might higher up the levels, which means you can essentially raise as much as you want and with AA (which you don't get very often) you want max value.

@ WHOAMI196 - Think you've been influenced by results here mate, you really think he calls river with JT/77 playing J or 7 as kicker? Overs as in Ace is possible but that's too thin for me. 

C/C seems bad longterm for me as most likely only bets hands that beat us, FH/Flush, Ace wouldn't usually bet, if he can float two streets with 66/77/J10/random stuff then bluff river then he probz should be playing higher up lol

I admit river bet looked weak here but thats because it was weak and shouldn't have been made imo, and fwiw MOST players raising river here have better than Q high and are rarely bluffing at all but if they are just say well done and move on to easier players. 
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: was this a fold?:
    @ snakederck - Reason you can raise more pre is because at these levels people rarely give much attention to bet sizing as they might higher up the levels, which means you can essentially raise as much as you want and with AA (which you don't get very often) you want max value. @ WHOAMI196 - Think you've been influenced by results here mate, you really think he calls river with JT/77 playing J or 7 as kicker? Overs as in Ace is possible but that's too thin for me.  C/C seems bad longterm for me as most likely only bets hands that beat us, FH/Flush, Ace wouldn't usually bet, if he can float two streets with 66/77/J10/random stuff then bluff river then he probz should be playing higher up lol I admit river bet looked weak here but thats because it was weak and shouldn't have been made imo, and fwiw MOST players raising river here have better than Q high and are rarely bluffing at all but if they are just say well done and move on to easier players. 
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Dude dont kid yourself ;), you have played wayyy to many DYMs if you can c/f river here!! we have under-repped our hand post flop to some extent, if he shoves river we can think of folding for sure, but to c/f to pot sized bet or less is bad imo, we only have to be right a small percentage of the time to make it the right/profitable call if we elect to c/c ovc, i think c/c psb or less is the way to get max value from hand and lose minimum. 
  • edited April 2012
    whoami196 thanks for your comments onposting hands, have subsequently been reading through some and realise that blanking the result would remove any potential bias. think im learning bet stronger throughout. the easy half pot bet loses value and when your unsure where you are a small bet on the end achieves next to nothing except what happened a tough decision you didn't want! cheers
  • edited April 2012

Hi Snake!

I don't play cash BUT from what I do know from playing MTT/STT's for a while and reading the clinic ...
    1. You've been VERY lucky!
    2. As someone else has said it's always best to leave the end of the hand missing (from where you want the advice.)
    3. It's also a good idea to blank the names of you opponents/villians when posting as a courtesy.
    4. Keep posting...great way to learn!