You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Quad Jacks

edited April 2012 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance_ARAZI_Small blind £0.25£0.25£108.49bearlytherBig blind £0.50£0.75£48.75 Your hole cardsJJ   Robusto1Raise £1.50£2.25£46.50EvilPinguFold    neluckFold    Beardy200Fold    _ARAZI_Fold    bearlytherCall £1.00£3.25£47.75Flop  87J   bearlytherCheck    Robusto1Check    Turn  9   bearlytherBet £2.00£5.25£45.75Robusto1Raise £6.50£11.75£40.00bearlytherCall £4.50£16.25£41.25River  J   bearlytherCheck    Robusto1Check    bearlytherShowJJ   Robusto1Muck10A   bearlytherWinFour Jacks£15.43 £56.68

Comments

• edited April 2012
    So i smooth called the raise in the bb with jj from an utg open i check to the raiser and he checks.  I can see there is an argument for leading here. The 9 comes off on the turn i bet he raises with any 10 giving him a straight i call hoping to pair the board or evaluate the hand on the river.  The river comes a jack giving me quads i can put him on a 10 with his bet on the turn so i figure its a good opportunity to check raise.  I check and he checks it back.  Value missed or just unlucky he didnt bet as most people would bet in that spot? Would like some thoughts on the hand please.
  • edited April 2012
    its a good check by him, but i would expect him to check a 10x hand back a ton here tbh, the flush came and the board paired, he cant really get a call from you with worse; maybe ~AJ ?, but yea i lead this river you are definetaly getting called with correct sizing, CRAI would be nice if it worked lol
  • edited April 2012
    I'll reply again here )

bet is best, not certain oppo will bet - most will check it back with straight or b/f
    How much would oppo bet with a straight ? whatever the amount you double it when you bet river )
  • edited April 2012
    Yes think bet would have been better on this occasion but if i had the A10 i would probly bet the river as may get paid off by aj some of the time here thats why i thought checking was best.
  • edited April 2012
    I think your line is ok, but most of the time I would bet
  • edited April 2012

Hand ID #507341398Mastercash8From mastercash 50p-£1 would be good to have this hand shown on Thurdsay nights show please.
  • edited April 2012
    hand is fine imo
  • edited April 2012
    Pre-flop: 100bb deep, there's an argument for 3-betting and looking to get it in with JJ, although this depends on how you perceive the UTG raiser. As it is an UTG raise, I don't think a call is bad here either.

Flop: I'd donk bet on the flop. On a wet flop when we're not expecting our opponent to c-bet most of the time unless he has a hand, I'd want to protect my hand and build the pot - After all, if he's got nothing, he's going to fold anyway, or check/fold unless we get outdrawn. On a dry board, I don't mind check/raise (I'm assuming this was the plan) but we're going to get checked back to a lot of the time here and we're getting no more money in the pot, and letting a possible danger card come on the turn.

Turn: Seems fine to me tbh. Know you're probably behind but I don't mind calling and hoping the board pairs

River: You've put your opponent on a straight - From our opponent's point of view, Jh is the worst card in the deck - If he put us on a set or flush draw before, he's gone behind, if he put us on 2 pair, he's not getting another penny out of us, so makes no sense to bet. Therefore, I'd do one of two things here:

1) Value shove, hope that the 10 he had was AThh or a weirdly-played a set and opponent has a full house to pay us off with
    2) Bet really weak - If we put him on a 10, we're not getting much out of our opponent. Bet a tiny amount (£4 or something) so that he can either call and hope for a chop enough of the time that he thinks calling is profitable, or maybe give him the opportunity to turn his hand into a bluff if he thinks we've got a 10, we're weak, and can take the pot away from us.

Checking is the worst thing you can possibly do on the river IMO.