You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

50PLO - Non-nut straight, shove?

edited April 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Figured that the villain wouldn't have J9xx as he would've bet the flop, so when turn gives me the second nuts, and opponent doesn't even bet full pot which he probably would if he was betting for value, should I be getting the money in here?

I know it's probably a mistake to be in this pot in the first place despite having the button as it's a rubbish hand, but thoughts on the turn decision please?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
badbyrne1Small blind £0.25£0.25£53.11
kelflex17Big blind £0.50£0.75£5.50
 Your hole cards

AHiOYeahFold    
Bossman180Raise £1.75£2.50£179.00
EvilPinguCall £1.75£4.25£75.09
badbyrne1Call £1.50£5.75£51.61
kelflex17All-in £5.50£11.25£0.00
Bossman180Call £4.25£15.50£174.75
EvilPinguCall £4.25£19.75£70.84
badbyrne1Call £4.25£24.00£47.36
Flop

• Q

badbyrne1Check    
Bossman180Check    
EvilPinguCheck    
Turn

badbyrne1Bet £18.00£42.00£29.36
Bossman180Fold    
EvilPingu???

Comments

• edited April 2012
    To bh i play alot of omaha usually and this has gotta be J9 "badburn" is checking to probly induce a bet from the pre flop raiser "bossman" when he checks then "badburn" instantly fires out a very strong bet maybe hoping you got 97 as you have

Personally i fold i suppose if you hit your heart on river thatl be better hand but its not worth the turn call in the long run if the river blanks say 2s what you gunna do if he bets again?

Only call turn if your willing to call a bet on the river but then again the way you stacks are no point flatting might aswell just try get in in on the turn and then if he has got it you got some outs , it looks like hes got j9 but as theres 2 flush draws out he doesnt wanna let sumone hit it cheaply

Gl what ever you did

• edited April 2012

Just pot it yer.
    You have 2 blockers to him having the nut straight + a Flush Draw which may be out if he does have the nuts, without a FD himself.
    I'm thinkin he has a set protecting against those 2 FD's and was plannin on c/r'in the flop but couldn't as bossman didnt fire a c-bet.

If the worst came to the worst, I hope u just got it in miles behind and hit the 8h FTW - simples!

* Great diary in GPC btw it makes for a good read :)

• edited April 2012
    Firstly, you know this but it needs underlining.

FOLD PRE

Now that's said we're in an ugly spot.  I don't like potting at all as you're turning 2nd nuts into a bluff (or at least should be, some players at this level potting is a complete VBet and I would be expecting the get it in well ahead).  Readless I'm torn between calling and folding.  Folding is tough as we do have 2nd nuts and if we're in this pot with our junk then why are we folding this.  Calling is nasty as well as we have no clue where we are and half the deck is bad for us on the river.

With position I think I call here to reassess on the river, praying for a brick or the 8h, which is never a good place to be.  This is an example of how we can really make life tough for ourselves by making a mistake earlier in the hand.

Also I disagree he doesn't have J9 here ever, he could be either looking to C/R, pot controlling versus a combo draw or hoping to value cut.