You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

-£ but most +ev. Is my math correct here?

edited April 2012 in The Poker Clinic
dnt like the raise preflop if your floating why not call ? and try take down later street and on the turn its deffo a check call here 

Comments

• edited April 2012
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancedub1Small blind £0.25£0.25£89.09VillainBig blind £0.50£0.75£57.01 Your hole cards67    Fold    DealerFold    dub1Raise £1.25£2.00£87.84VillainRaise £4.00£6.00£53.01dub1Call £3.00£9.00£84.84Flop  1053   dub1Check    VillainBet £5.00£14.00£48.01dub1Raise £12.57£26.57£72.27VillainCall £7.57£34.14£40.44Turn  K   dub1Bet £14.50£48.64£57.77VillainAll-in £40.44£89.08£0.00dub1Call £25.94£115.02£31.83dub1Show67   VillainShowJJ   River  7   VillainWinPair of Jacks£113.22 £113.22
    Is my math correct?

we have 25% equity vs villains hand
    (Edit, and vs villains range.
     AA,KcKd,KcKh,KdKh,QQ,TT,AcKc,AdKd,AhKh,AsTs,KcQc,KdQd,
    KhQh,KcTc,KdTd,KhTh,QsTs,JsTs,AcKd,AcKh,AdKc,AdKh,AhKc,
    AhKd,AsKc,AsKd,AsKh,KcQd,KcQh,KcQs,KdQc,KdQh,KdQs,KhQc
    ,KhQd,KhQs,KcTd,KcTh,KcTs,KdTc,KdTh,KdTs,KhTc,KhTd,KhTs we have25% equity)

so if we fold we loss £31.07
    so if we fold 4 times we loss £124.28

If we call we loss 3 times £171.03
    And win 1 time £114.02

£171.03 - £114.02 = a total loss of £57.01

So Fold vs Call.

Fold we loss £31.07
    Call we loss £14.25

So allthough -£ the most +ev play in this situation is to call.

• edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: -£ but most +ev. Is my math correct here?:
    dnt like the raise preflop if your floating why not call ? and try take down later street and on the turn its deffo a check call here 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    I didn't rereiase pre. Villian is a big 3Bettor IP, 3Betting QJs+ so i feel that on alot of low flops i can take the pot away with a reraise.
  • edited April 2012
    I don't mind the call pre-flop if we're in position, out of position I think it's better to either 4-bet, or fold. It's a pretty hand though and I hate having to fold it, but I think it's the best play.

OOP: Fold /> 4bet > Call IMO.

Once we've been set all in on the turn, the call is correct.
  • edited April 2012
    I don't mind the call pre-flop if we're in position, out of position I think it's better to either 4-bet, or fold. It's a pretty hand though and I hate having to fold it, but I think it's the best play. OOP: Fold /> 4bet /> Call IMO. Once we've been set all in on the turn, the call is correct.
    Posted by EvilPingu
    I totally agree and vs most villain i am 4Betting or folding OOP, but vs this villain I feel i have his range down to high cards and feel that i can check raise so many low flops and make a hugh profit.

Villains also has no calling range and at a guess i'd say he's 3Betting 12%

10s+,A10o+, A9s+, All suited broadways and KQo
  • edited April 2012
    £25 into £89 with 12outs @ turn.

If played this way have to call turn once opened.  Math is slghtly off, but still closer to a call than fold - ergo a call.

Bink & apologise.
  • edited April 2012
    Pre is awful - esp readless
    I don't like flop either
    K usually hits villains range pretty strongly
    River I don't know, I guess it's call - but the hand is pretty muddled imo

even flatting 67s IP wouldn't be ideal vs a laggy villian readless, never mind oop
  • edited April 2012
    also fwiw I have no issue withhow you play this hand.

You do the opposite of what I see and hear so much lately.  You give yourself EVERY chance to with this pot.  Sure, he has J's on this occasion.

BonB, we get creative, pick up equity and try to push him off what would often be a marginal holding.

I cant be a computor.  Every hand oughtnt to be a cooler.  One would think that creative aggressive poker is a good thing, rather than something to be criticised.  Even though he is at the top of his range here, you still put him in a hard spot and still hold plenty of equity.

I may be hugely wrong, maybe it is better to play like a robot.  Maybe this isnt great multi table approach.  But it certainly isnt bad poker.
  • edited April 2012
    You should have just folded preflop, villian owns your soul.
  • edited April 2012
    also fwiw I have no issue withhow you play this hand. You do the opposite of what I see and hear so much lately.  You give yourself EVERY chance to with this pot.  Sure, he has J's on this occasion. BonB, we get creative, pick up equity and try to push him off what would often be a marginal holding. I cant be a computor.  Every hand oughtnt to be a cooler.  One would think that creative aggressive poker is a good thing, rather than something to be criticised.  Even though he is at the top of his range here, you still put him in a hard spot and still hold plenty of equity. I may be hugely wrong, maybe it is better to play like a robot.  Maybe this isnt great multi table approach.  But it certainly isnt bad poker.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Can i just add. That when I called pre I had a plan, any low flop im check/raising based on my read on villains range. The fact i had a gutter was just a bonus, Turn played its self.

Some of the replys to the thread arn't making much sence.

Im not asking if my play is good or bad, Im asking someone to check my maths, as this isnt my strong point.

Also villain is raping me IP with these 3Bets, I do have a 4Bet bluff range and I'd guess that if I 4bet or folded vs villian than I'd be even money, that said I wanna make money by exploiting villian in this situation. so I've choose a 3Bet calling range with the intention on check/raiseing alot of low flops.

If anyone can tell me a better way to exploit villains 3Betting IP than please elaborate instead of telling me my play sux.

Input from some of the respected regs would be nice?
  • edited April 2012
    I think your call was fine, your maths looks good to me and very interesting to see put like that.
  • edited April 2012
    I think your call was fine, your maths looks good to me and very interesting to see put like that.
    Posted by Spad3s
    Thanx for your input spad3s, and yes you were the villain.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: -£ but most +ev. Is my math correct here? : Thanx for your input spad3s, and yes you were the villain.
    Posted by dub1

Only flaw in your maths is your taking it I have jacks, what if I have higher flush draw, or sets etc.

You could nearly be dead already.
  • edited April 2012
    For example against as ts you have 6 percent equity, one of worst cases for you though.
  • edited April 2012
    For example against as ts you have 6 percent equity, one of worst cases for you though.
    Posted by Spad3s
    Vs AA we have 26%
    Vs KK we have 23%
    vs K10s we have 25%
    vs AsQs we have 20%
    and vs As10s 6.8%

But vs range its 25%.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: -£ but most +ev. Is my math correct here? : Vs AA we have 26% Vs KK we have 23% vs K10s we have 25% vs AsQs we have 20% So all hands in your range are about the same.
    Posted by dub1

Ok, I guess  AsTs is only hand your bad against.

I would just unhappily snap call from your spot in that hand to be honest, too little time for me to do maths.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: -£ but most +ev. Is my math correct here? : Ok, I guess  AsTs is only hand your bad against. I would just unhappily snap call from your spot in that hand to be honest, too little time for me to do maths.
    Posted by Spad3s
    Lol, well thats what I did hoping 12outs which I know is 25% equity and seen I had almost 4/1.

I just thought it would be a good hand to review for people in the forum, and to show that a -£ call can be better that a fold.

Hope someone can learn supm from all this.  
  • edited April 2012
    also fwiw I have no issue withhow you play this hand. You do the opposite of what I see and hear so much lately.  You give yourself EVERY chance to with this pot.  Sure, he has J's on this occasion. BonB, we get creative, pick up equity and try to push him off what would often be a marginal holding. I cant be a computor.  Every hand oughtnt to be a cooler.  One would think that creative aggressive poker is a good thing, rather than something to be criticised.  Even though he is at the top of his range here, you still put him in a hard spot and still hold plenty of equity. I may be hugely wrong, maybe it is better to play like a robot.  Maybe this isnt great multi table approach.  But it certainly isnt bad poker.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Hero doesn't have a good grasp on Villain's play clearly or else he would never be making this play and therefore it is bad play imo. Flatting oop with suited connectors vs an unknown laggy opponent is no where near profitable - maybe vs a tight opponent who doesn't go to showdown much and is tight so you can push them off the pot easier but here I don't think so. It's spewy 

ps. sorry to op I'm not brilliant with maths so I can't really comment but it looks fine - I didn't realise you didn't want your play analysed as well. My bad
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: -£ but most +ev. Is my math correct here? : Hero doesn't have a good grasp on Villain's play clearly or else he would never be making this play and therefore it is bad play imo. Flatting oop with suited connectors vs an unknown laggy opponent is no where near profitable - maybe vs a tight opponent who doesn't go to showdown much and is tight so you can push them off the pot easier but here I don't think so. It's spewy  ps. sorry to op I'm not brilliant with maths so I can't really comment but it looks fine - I didn't realise you didn't want your play analysed as well. My bad
    Posted by percival09
    Villain is raping me IP with these 3Bets, I do have a 4Bet bluff range and I'd guess that if I 4bet or folded vs villian than I'd be even money in the long run, that said I wanna make money by exploiting villian in this situation. so I've choose a 3Bet calling range with the intention on check/raising alot of low flops.

I think my grasp on villains range is correct.

So are you saying that the villian cant be explioted in this situation? And i just have to except breaking even from folding 3/4 of the time and 4Betting 1/4 of the time?
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: -£ but most +ev. Is my math correct here? : Can i just add. That when I called pre I had a plan, any low flop im check/raising based on my read on villains range. The fact i had a gutter was just a bonus, Turn played its self. Some of the replys to the thread arn't making much sence. Im not asking if my play is good or bad, Im asking someone to check my maths, as this isnt my strong point. Also villain is raping me IP with these 3Bets, I do have a 4Bet bluff range and I'd guess that if I 4bet or folded vs villian than I'd be even money, that said I wanna make money by exploiting villian in this situation. so I've choose a 3Bet calling range with the intention on check/raiseing alot of low flops. If anyone can tell me a better way to exploit villains 3Betting IP than please elaborate instead of telling me my play sux. Input from some of the respected regs would be nice?
    Posted by dub1
    I just dont even know if i ought to be offended by this????

Plus I already covered the math:  "£25 into £89 with 12outs @ turn.If played this way have to call turn once opened.  Math is slghtly off, but still closer to a call than fold - ergo a call.".
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: -£ but most +ev. Is my math correct here? : I just dont even know if i ought to be offended by this???? Plus I already covered the math:  "£25 into £89 with 12outs @ turn.If played this way have to call turn once opened.  Math is slghtly off, but still closer to a call than fold - ergo a call.".
    Posted by AMYBR
    No you souldn't be offened. Sorry I can see how it looks bad.
  • edited April 2012
    Am I a respected reg?..can I comment lol.... Anyway the numbers look cool.  Fwiw I don't like ur flop size really...maybe it's better if you are gonna be check raising some complete air balls too.  

Just a cooler with how it's played.  Also the villain in the hand is decent so threfore the range is a lot wider than most on the site...
  • edited April 2012
    Am I a respected reg?..can I comment lol.... Anyway the numbers look cool.  Fwiw I don't like ur flop size really...maybe it's better if you are gonna be check raising some complete air balls too.   Just a cooler with how it's played.  Also the villain in the hand is decent so threfore the range is a lot wider than most on the site...
    Posted by scotty77
    What do you feel about the plan in general of calling 3Bets OOP vs a percieved range of 12-14% all broadway combos, and check/raising low flops, some people have disagreed, claiming it to never be +ev?
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: -£ but most +ev. Is my math correct here? : What do you feel about the plan in general of calling 3Bets OOP vs a percieved range of 12-14% all broadway combos, and check/raising low flops, some people have disagreed, claiming it to never be +ev?
    Posted by dub1
    Just in case you're referring to my post here - I stated it's 'definitely not profitable' meaning over a long period of time.. Occasionaly of course this will work - but so will the worst plays in the book. Just to clarify I said calling a 3b oop vs a laggy opponent with 67s ISN'T profitable over a long period of time - It's not going to be a low flop enough of the time in order for it to be
  • edited April 2012
    When calculating the math you have to add the amount you have to call on top of the pot to work it out

(89 + 25) = 114/25 require equity 25%, thus making it a call as you are clearly getting over 4-1, River is +EV to call, rest of the hand is prob not so, flop is so dry a float would be better and make a play on the turn.

dubdubdub interesting hand though, note taking here ;)
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: -£ but most +ev. Is my math correct here? : Just in case you're referring to my post here - I stated it's 'definitely not profitable' meaning over a long period of time.. Occasionaly of course this will work - but so will the worst plays in the book. Just to clarify I said calling a 3b oop vs a laggy opponent with 67s ISN'T profitable over a long period of time - It's not going to be a low flop enough of the time in order for it to be
    Posted by percival09
    Percival09?

In previous posts you seem to think that i donk have a clue about villains range. Villain and I have played 1k's of hands together. I think I have villains range down. Like I said 12-14% all broadway combos.

I Have to disagree with you about not being able to turn a profit long term.
  • edited April 2012
    I'm certainly not a well respected reg, but I'll offer my opinion anyway.

First; Yes the numbers on the call are fine. You can reasonably expect to have 12 outs, so are 3/1 to win. Therefore you need 3/1 pot odds and 89/26 is better than 3/1. You'd be pretty unlucky to see a higher flush draw.

I do have concerns with your flop raise size and your turn bet size though.

The problem with the flop check-raise is that you offer really good odds on the call. I don't necessarily hate the size but you have to be confident that it will get two random overcards to fold (so it's read dependent). You are making a pure bluff here. You can't like getting called and if you can't get two overs to fold, then what's the point? With that in mind, one of two things is wrong: Either the size of your raise is wrong or the range you're assigning to your opponent on the turn should not include those AK, KQ type hands that had no hand and no draw on the flop. You should be making a raise that you would expect to only be called by a made hand, not be called by just two overs or as a float.

The issue I have with the turn bet is that it's a bit small. If you're leading out on the turn you might as well make a bet that continues a reasonably strong story and gives a chance to those weak one-pair hands to fold. You're not going to be bet-folding, so make it £20. However, I'm not sure we should be leading on this turn.

The alternative to the bet-call line on the turn would be a check-fold, I think. I wouldn't mind that since you should expect that your check-raise on the flop would only be called by a made hand, with no draws on this dry flop. Once you check you wouldn't be getting the right odds to call, unless he makes a very small bet, and you might just get a free card out of him.

As for playing out of position; we do need to form strategies for doing it. We definitely don't want to play out of position but it can't always be avoided. In this case, I think you had a sound strategy for dealing with someone who had been 3-betting alot. Calling with the 67s or similar and check-raising a dry flop is fine but once our check-raise fails, most of the time we'll have to give up.

So in this hand, if I was using your strategy, I'd check-raise the flop to about £15 or £17, then check-fold the turn. I'm sure there are people who'd disagree.
  • edited April 2012
    If our opponent is capable of frequently floating our check-raise with air then we shouldn't call the 3-bet pre-flop. Allowing a highly-skilled laggy player to have position on us in an inflated pot with 67 isn't going to be profitable.
  • edited April 2012
    EV of folding =0 (as it always is)

EV of calling (assuming your range correct)
    =(89.08*0.25)-(25.94*0.75)
    =22.27-19.46
    =+£2.81

so its a call.

We dont own money in pot already so I would usually use above method, your method may be fine also
  • edited April 2012
    also if you want to go nuts in this hand I prefer c/c flop c/r turn. Fold>>4b/f>>>>>>>>>>call pre, unless you completely own villain
  • edited April 2012
    If we use solomons rule i think its something like (number of outs x 4)-(number of outs in excess of 8)=%

This is with 2 cards to come though but we can just divide this by 2 to give us a more accurate % than using the rule of 2 and 4.

So we have 12 outs.... (12x4)-4=44/2=22%.

Using gt's maths which i believe to be correct

=(89.08*0.22)-(25.94*0.78)
    =19.60-20.33
    =-0.73.

Hopefully someone can double check that as i have only just recently messed about with this. If i am right here then this is -EV but very marginal.

I'm not a respected reg,i am a simple micro stakes player so if someone could confirm whether my math is right or wrong it would be appreciated.