You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker basics, 2 pair (3rd pair on board) river desision

edited April 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Don has asked me to post this hand up for discussion as to how to play this hand. Its from a freeroll so not the best of players but im still learning.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
saintpeter Small blind  100.00 100.00 4925.00
xBig blind  200.00 300.00 17120.00
  Your hole cards
  • A

lol_i_call Call  200.00 500.00 10465.00
brazzo1414 Fold     
BOOM31 Fold     
saintpeter Fold     
xCheck     
Flop

xCheck     
lol_i_call Check     
Turn

xBet  200.00 700.00 16920.00
lol_i_call Call  200.00 900.00 10265.00
River

• A

xBet  200.00 1100.00 16720.00
lol_i_call ??????

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Ive asked mel to post this hand based on board texture. Im not sure if thats maybe a little advanced as ive just tried the standard ABC coaching so far. Which as we all know im not the best at, but ive basically said bet big with a big hand and fold with a small hand.

However i think this hand is one of those hands inbetween, im not sure we can raise the river here, but then again im really not sure. So i think it was best posting on the clinic and getting some views. I know most of you won't want to comment on freeroll hands but mel really wants to learn the game. And she listens far better than me.

Edit, just incase my question isnt clear. It is, do we raise or call this river.

Also ive said to mel she sould be raising or folding here pre.
  • edited April 2012
    raise pre, bet flop, bet turn, bet river

as played, deff bet flop, and i'm deff raising river
  • edited April 2012
    raise pre for value

bet flop for value

raise river for value
  • edited April 2012
    raise pre i never limp in any situation by raising u are taking the initiative othis is a great flop for top pair top kicker i would be betting every street if in doubt click the 3/4 pot bet :)
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Poker basics, 2 pair (3rd pair on board) river desision:
    raise pre, bet flop, bet turn, bet river as played, deff bet flop, and i'm deff raising river
    Posted by SHANXTA
    ok
  • edited April 2012
    To keep it simple:

If you think you have the best hand then bet or raise
    If your not sure if you have the best hand then check or/and call

If you bet or raise and then get raised, think again about your hand and also think about what the oppo is raising with that you beat - don't think about what specific hand oppo may have but more a range of hands - just think, what do I beat

"If in doubt, don't bet out"

Your only betting hands that you think are the best

this hand:

pre = raise
    flop = bet
    turn = bet
    river = bet

as played

raise turn
    raise river

if you are then raised, then think again - probably fold

Remember: you betting because you beleive you have the best hand, if your then raised- think again

• edited April 2012
    raise pre
    as played bet flop
    as played call turn
    as played raise river
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Poker basics, 2 pair (3rd pair on board) river desision:
    To keep it simple: If you think you have the best hand then bet or raise If your not sure if you have the best hand then check or/and call If you bet or raise and then get raised, think again about your hand and also think about what the oppo is raising with that you beat - don't think about what specific hand oppo may have but more a range of hands - just think, what do I beat "If in doubt, don't bet out" Your only betting hands that you think are the best this hand: pre = raise flop = bet turn = bet river = bet as played raise turn raise river if you are then raised, then think again - probably fold Remember: you betting because you beleive you have the best hand, if your then raised- think again
    Posted by rancid
    thank you too every1s comments i sorta have an understanding now ill see how i get on at the freeroll at 4pm today and if i have any more queries i will be sure to post to ask