You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How bad is my logic here?

edited April 2012 in The Poker Clinic
In a nutshell I believe the 2 limpers are hoping to take out the BB who is short at circa 10bbs so could be playing a wider range. I raise although accept out of position and multi handed (was looking for an all in from bb and at least one other to fold leaving 3 in hand at worst). BB folds!!  2 limpers call but not thinking the flop helps either caller so C bet. 1 folds and I get re-raised. Committed at this point so all in expecting to see a decent pocket pair which I could have taken on the chin. When I see K8 i'm over the moon until the river!

Accepting it was probably an error that I played AJ out of postion in a 3 way pot was the rest of the play ok??
sinoz Small blind  30.00 30.00 1490.00
elo18564 Big blind  60.00 90.00 621.25
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • A

enigma12 Call  60.00 150.00 7287.50
Granty64 Fold     
tinytren24 Fold     
Aaaces3 Call  60.00 210.00 2662.50
sinoz Raise  270.00 480.00 1220.00
elo18564 Fold     
enigma12 Call  240.00 720.00 7047.50
Aaaces3 Call  240.00 960.00 2422.50
Flop

sinoz Bet  480.00 1440.00 740.00
enigma12 Fold     
Aaaces3 Raise  1080.00 2520.00 1342.50
sinoz All-in  740.00 3260.00 0.00
Aaaces3 Call  140.00 3400.00 1202.50
sinoz Show
  • J
  • A

Aaaces3 Show
  • K

Turn

River

Aaaces3 Win Two Pairs, 8s and 6s 3400.00

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Don't 3bet from the SB in this spot with this small a stack ever. You're right that by betting 480 on the flop you are pretty much commited, so if you're gonna call a shove anyway, then just do the shoving yourself to give yourself a better chance of making him fold (which I'm almost certain you would have).

That aside, in a crazy roundabout way, you actually got it in good, and he got lucky and hit one of his 6 outs.
  • edited April 2012
    I'd just shove pre, raising is gonna get you in tricky spots like here when you brick and either check fold or bet fold (not an option I think) as bet call means you're often gonna be behind.

It works out here with guy going crazy with K high but just easier to shove pre imo. 
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: How bad is my logic here?:
    Don't 3bet from the SB in this spot with this small a stack ever. You're right that by betting 480 on the flop you are pretty much commited, so if you're gonna call a shove anyway, then just do the shoving yourself to give yourself a better chance of making him fold (which I'm almost certain you would have). That aside, in a crazy roundabout way, you actually got it in good, and he got lucky and hit one of his 6 outs.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Thanks Lambert - funnily enough I feel I play a bit too tight normally and this is quite an out of character play for me especially early in a tournament.

Would a call be acceptable here and reassess if bb shoves for examply. At least that way I get to see what the 2 limpers do.
  • edited April 2012
    The problem with calling is, you might get 1 or more raises/shoves and if that happens, you're AJ is virtually never gonna be the best hand so you'll have to fold.

And even if everyone calls, with 4 people in the pot, you're gonna need to flop very well to be happy that you're ahead.
  • edited April 2012
    I'd just shove pre, raising is gonna get you in tricky spots like here when you brick and either check fold or bet fold (not an option I think) as bet call means you're often gonna be behind. It works out here with guy going crazy with K high but just easier to shove pre imo. 
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Dudeskin thanks m8. Will be playing this far less aggresively in the future (and normally would actually)!
  • edited April 2012
    Don't 3bet from the SB in this spot with this small a stack ever. You're right that by betting 480 on the flop you are pretty much commited, so if you're gonna call a shove anyway, then just do the shoving yourself to give yourself a better chance of making him fold (which I'm almost certain you would have). That aside, in a crazy roundabout way, you actually got it in good, and he got lucky and hit one of his 6 outs.
    Posted by Lambert180
    mm, he didnt 3bet  raising is fine

what hands does he fold that we want him to fold?
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: How bad is my logic here? : mm, he didnt 3bet  raising is fine what hands does he fold that we want him to fold?
    Posted by grantorino
    Sorry, you're right, it was a raise, not a 3bet, but I still never raise from the SB here for abuot 20% of my stack, when as he found, any c-bet is gonna commit him to the pot and he's gonna miss the flop 2/3 times.

I'm not by any means encouraging this sort of play GT, I think it's pretty terrible. But when he's raised, he's happy to get the rest in when he has practically no FE and no hand. Surely if he genuinely believes 100% he is still ahead when he's raised on the turn (i.e. the villian has complete air), then wouldn't it be better to flat?