You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Haven't played here for a while - any advice on this hand welcome?

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
Why did put your whole stack in with nuttin?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    SpongeDoug Small blind  100.00 100.00 2230.00
    john100 Big blind  200.00 300.00 5430.00
      Your hole cards

kvfc50 Fold     
    abrack8 Raise  400.00 700.00 4435.00
    kumqat48 Fold     
    k3lvino Fold     
    SpongeDoug Call  300.00 1000.00 1930.00
    john100 Call  200.00 1200.00 5230.00
    Flop

• A

SpongeDoug Bet  600.00 1800.00 1330.00
    john100 Call  600.00 2400.00 4630.00
    abrack8 Fold     
    Turn

SpongeDoug All-in  1330.00 3730.00 0.00
    john100 Call  1330.00 5060.00 3300.00
    SpongeDoug Show

john100 Show

River

john100 Win Two Pairs, 6s and 2s 5060.00  8360.00
    My first game back on this site after a few months and I had presented a tight image that TK himself would be proud of so when I made this move I was representing at least an A or a flush. I had only shown one hand down previous to this so why this donk called I don't know.

May have to have another few months off. The dogs only just recovered from my last 'gone bust' moment.
  • edited November 2009
    Big blind and big stack called your minimum raise, hit middle pair and didnt believe you had the ace, it happens all the time
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: why?:
    Why did put your whole stack in with nuttin?
    Posted by SoLack
    I was making a move I believe is called a bluff having been cold decked and I had bit of a read on donk man!
  • edited November 2009
    doug building an image doesn't work on here...
  • edited November 2009
    The fella had 2nd pair and a gut shot.

He had 5.5k in chips

a 1300 call from him would still leave him chip happy.

Don't know what level game you were playing but if its a micro, 2nd pair is an insta call for a lot of people.

He called a raise with rags, I cant see him folding when he had actually hit the flop.

Not my sort of play, but people do like to play 'cards'
  • edited November 2009

I know I'm just tilting and my move was STOOPID but I did have a bit of a read on him I knew he didn't have an A or a Flush and he called with middle pair with an A on a flushing board.

I spose it was a BH and that may have influenced him it was the only game starting within the 5 mins that I logged on so serves me right.

• edited November 2009
    don't be silly doug .

you must use all these experiences ,

as building blocks ,

poker is like learning to drive ,

allow for the odd crash ,

bumps , scrapes ,

splashes of mud ,

but when you got the experience behind you ,

must be honest and i don't mean to hurt your feelings ,

but it was a silly move in your part ,

but remember learn from your mistakes ,

and don't worry about other peoples mistakes ,

hope this will help you ,

and play the deepstacks,

less luck  involved
  • edited November 2009
    I really dont know why players think 87 is a playable hand in any situation ? But then I'm still learning the game.
    As for this hand and play....youve lost me here  this goes right over my head !!
  • edited November 2009
    in my time here on sky poker, ive leant 2 rules... DONT EVER BLUFF DONKS, they cant put anything down even if it is mid pair, flushdraw....GUTSHOT sometimes, and the other dont ever take on the bigstack (not without a monster) its their day, they got a huge stack cos they've got lucky, and will continue to get lucky

also what the fu were u doin with 78?

...anyway thats just my £0.02
  • edited November 2009

So you've tried to bluff a big stack in a bounty hunter when he's getting 3/1 on a call, prob not the best idea!

And you seem to have taken it quite bad, maybe you're playin too high?

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Haven't played here for a while and this is why?:
    I really dont know why players think 87 is a playable hand in any situation ? But then I'm still learning the game. As for this hand and play....youve lost me here  this goes right over my head !!
    Posted by bennydip2
    why wouldn't 87s be a playable hand? ok this may not be the best spot, but neither of us have a line of the BB, if he's a rock and not re-raising/squeezing without a premium then it aint so bad
  • edited November 2009
    Hi
    One thing i've learnt is not try and bluff in the BHs. You say it yourself, you were trying to represent and he didn't believe you, so whats the problem. Thats what happens when you run a bluff sometimes. So why not just man up and get over it.
    col
  • edited November 2009
    Bounty hunter eh,

I think the reason you didn't tell us this in the first place is you knew the answer.

BH is definately not the place for any sort of bluff.

Now he has 5.5k chips, 2nd pair, gutsgot and 20% of his stack risked to get a head.

You didn't stand a chance.
  • edited November 2009
    I'll get my coat!!
  • edited November 2009
    I'll get my coat!!
    Posted by SpongeDoug
    Buddy are you back now? send me a pm if you are ready to tear up the tables again :)

I will PM you now anyway
  • edited November 2009

Hi Dave have PM'd you. Good to hear from you again!!!

I'm over my initial tilt moment wine and poker then good nights kip does world of good!!!

• edited November 2009

Good to have you back Mr Sponge.

Right move, wrong villain!

Would happen on any Site, or Live, I'm afraid - nay - pleased, to say. These guys are our profit!
  • edited November 2009

i can not understand what the heck you are moaning about!
    you called a min raise(allways suspicious) with 78 because "they were suited" then villian hits a pair and you cant let go?

if there is one thing i have learned about online poker it is not to make outrageous bluffs because the villian will almost certainly call with bottom pair!

tk is right you want these players so next time you call take the pot with a made hand....dave

• edited November 2009

As a piece of advice to all players, I'd say....bluff LESS!

Yes, bluffing gives us a feel-good factor, "wow, I'm good, haha", but it costs more than it gains in the long run.

Bluffing is fine - at the right time & place. Patience will serve you better.

Almost everyone bluffs too much these days - mostly for the wrong reasons, at the wrong time.
  • edited November 2009
    Good to have you back Mr Sponge. Right move, wrong villain! Would happen on any Site, or Live, I'm afraid - nay - pleased , to say. These guys are our profit!
    Posted by Tikay10
    Cheers TK I have missed you XXX

Go away for a little while and everything changes Michelle gone :( and Rich winning an open :)

And Davey, I was moaning cos tired and a little tipsy. First game back here for a while, an hour into it down to last 40 in mtt bh of about 140.

78 suited or unsuited can play well in some situations imo, but i wasn't really playing them i was playing the board and the player but timed and judged it totally wrong.  

FYI when I play a pot in future I will only have AA or KK. With KK i will fold when an A comes on flop ;)

• edited November 2009
    As a piece of advice to all players, I'd say....bluff LESS! Yes, bluffing gives us a feel-good factor, "wow, I'm good, haha", but it costs more than it gains in the long run. Bluffing is fine - at the right time & place. Patience will serve you better. Almost everyone bluffs too much these days - mostly for the wrong reasons, at the wrong time.
    Posted by Tikay10
    my sentiments entirely :)
    even in my pub poker game on a tuesday night people call with bottom pair,one guy cant let go of anything,i go all in with 2 pair and he calls on river with ace high(good times)

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Haven't played here for a while and this is why? : Cheers TK I have missed you XXX Go away for a little while and everything changes Michelle gone :( and Rich winning an open :) And Davey, I was moaning cos tired and a little tipsy. First game back here for a while, an hour into it down to last 40 in mtt bh of about 140. 78 suited or unsuited can play well in some situations imo, but i wasn't really playing them i was playing the board and the player but timed and judged it totally wrong.   FYI when I play a pot in future I will only have AA or KK. With KK i will fold when an A comes on flop ;)
    Posted by SpongeDoug
    yea sorry mate maybe i was a bit harsh with my critisism?
    i just dont know why people say"thats why i dont play on here" cos believe me all the other sites have just as many donks.i know how it peeves you off cos it happens to us all most nights lol,
    if i come across you on the tables in the near future i will fold to your push!
    because you wont be bluffing(honest guv)

good luck at the tables,...dave
  • edited November 2009
    This is exactly why you should want to play here.

Don't bluff the unbluffable and value bet them all the way when you have the goods.

Simple.
  • edited November 2009
    As a piece of advice to all players, I'd say....bluff LESS! Yes, bluffing gives us a feel-good factor, "wow, I'm good, haha", but it costs more than it gains in the long run. Bluffing is fine - at the right time & place. Patience will serve you better. Almost everyone bluffs too much these days - mostly for the wrong reasons, at the wrong time.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Point taken TK and I totally agree. 

I have to explain tho that in this particular situation I was seriously cold decked and fighting to just pay the rent. I was being sooo tight I was squeaking when I walked. I only had 1 premium hand and got to show it down when I dropped below 10BB. I knew the initial raiser was on a steal which proved right and the BB had more or less the hand I put him on. I so wish I hadn't made the initial call because that stoopid decision committed me to the pot and the only way I could win was a bluff.

But all critisisms and advice is welcome. I am always willing to learn and that is one of the things I have missed. This is a great site for that.
  • edited November 2009
    And yes the title to this post is too harsh i was just tilting when I wrote it.

I have changed it to something more appropriate!
  • edited November 2009
    Shouldn't be calling a raise from SB with a hand like 7/8 for a seventh of your stack just in my opinion.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Haven't played here for a while and this is why? : Point taken TK and I totally agree.    I have to explain tho that in this particular situation I was seriously cold decked and fighting to just pay the rent. I was being sooo tight I was squeaking when I walked. I only had 1 premium hand and got to show it down when I dropped below 10BB. I knew the initial raiser was on a steal which proved right and the BB had more or less the hand I put him on. I so wish I hadn't made the initial call because that stoopid decision committed me to the pot and the only way I could win was a bluff. But all critisisms and advice is welcome. I am always willing to learn and that is one of the things I have missed. This is a great site for that.
    Posted by SpongeDoug
    Your logic was perfect - but it don't work these days I'm afraid!

I regularly go an hour or mre in the Deepies & never play ONE hand. So when I suddenly bring in a Raise UTG, what do you think my range is? Correct. And yet I still seem to attract 4 callers, always the regulaqr stations.

The art of being aware of who is doing what, who is in every pot, & who is not, is a lost one, so all we are doing is out-thinking ourselves.

If they fancy their cards, they will Call, whatever the circumstances, & however nitty we are known to be. They just will.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Haven't played here for a while - any advice on this hand welcome?:
    Shouldn't be calling a raise from SB with a hand like 7/8 for a seventh of your stack just in my opinion.
    Posted by Hogg321
    Looking back I agree. I should have reraised or shoved pre flop if I was gonna play this hand but better still - FOLD.

• edited November 2009
    dont  put  all    yuor  stack  in  with  nothing     good  advice  from  tikay
  • edited November 2009
    I'll get my coat!!
    Posted by SpongeDoug
    Lol  .Spongedog I wasn't having a go at you, we all do things that might seem good at that moment,      The thing is, so many people say 10 2 the Doyle Brunson hand, has won him 2 WSOP bracelets.. but does anyone seriously believe he plays those cards all the time ...
    It's  the same as 8 7,     I know Mark keeps Banging on about  8 7  is the 'nuts'  but  in truth it's about as bad as  10 2 !!!     If your in the BB  with a couple of flat callers and you check your  8 7 fine  but  I wouldn't be playing it from any other  position not even the SB ..
    However I would play  3 4 ...4 5 ...5 6 ...6 7 .. depending on how many limpers where in from the 'cut off or BB'         but not 8 7 ..or 8 9 .....    glk benny