You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Have i lost it or am i just getting real unlucky?

edited April 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Back a few years ago i used to make good money from poker and enjoy it alot. Itook a couple of years away with new commitments like the birth of my son and over the last 6 months have come back in love with the game again. However i did win a tournament on skypoker for about £150 quid but now i always seem to play tournaments where i will go in favourite and get out flopped or like last time for instance went in with 88 against a7 and they hit runner 77. Is it that im playing worse now then i did before, getting unlucky or should quit all together? i dont have any hobbies or interests really so i like to play but get frustrated now with the outcomes? please help on any advice you may be able to offer,

Many Thanks

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Keep The Faith !!!!
  • edited April 2012
    read the mental game of poker,dl free pdf.
  • edited April 2012

Variance!

It took me a long time to understand how brutal variance can be. Ive had 3month break even stretches. I think down swings defo are extended by tilting, I mean after a few weeks, even days its hard not to think you might be doing something wrong.

In the example you gave above 88 vs A7, 88 is only a 70% favorite so you can expect to loss 1 in 3 times.

Edges in poker are very small so all you can ask yourself is, are you getting it in with the best of it the majority of the time, and if you are, then you can expect to win in the long run.

Hope this helps
    All the best
    dub1