You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Right to shove here?

edited April 2012 in The Poker Clinic
£250 BH - just now.

Should I have flat called here instead? Stacks were 4k for me and 11k for villain?

Hand History #511511143 (14:21 27/04/2012)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancedeawatts14Small blind 50.0050.008310.00ConnManBig blind 100.00150.004640.00 Your hole cardsAJ   RUSHIEFold    Prop60Raise 300.00450.003205.00KEVMAC10Call 300.00750.0010707.50deawatts14Fold    ConnManFold    Flop  JKJ   Prop60Check    KEVMAC10Bet 750.001500.009957.50Prop60All-in 3205.004705.000.00KEVMAC10Fold    Prop60Muck    Prop60Win 2250.00 2250.00Prop60Return 2455.000.004705.00

Comments

• edited April 2012

First, I don't like raising to 300 out of a stack of 3500, pre-flop. I'd make it a min-raise or add a little bit for psychological effect. 220 perhaps.

On the flop, once you hit this massive flop, I don't mind the check. A c-bet would be very likely to get a fold from your opponent unless he has the King or a Jack. Any underpair is likely to fold on this board and if he had QQ or AA, then we'd have found out about it before the flop. He may call a smallish bet with QT but there are no other decent draws on this board so only a narrow range of hands would continue if we bet.

Having checked, we go and make a super-strong move by check-raising him. He's made a full pot bet here, so he is bound to know that our check-raise is almost certainly a strong hand. We've pushed him off all of his bluffs and perhaps allowed him to fold those pairs that we have crushed. We've lost all value against him. If we calll, we give him another chance to bluff the turn and if he does he's going to be forced to commit at least 1100 more. We can't guarantee that he'll bet again, but we have guaranteed that he won't by check-raising the flop and pushing him out of the hand. Again, by check-raising we're only going to get action from a very small section of his range. He'll need one of the hands we mentioned above to call your raise but if we call we give him the chance to bet or even call a value bet on a later street with a wider portion of his range.

• edited April 2012
    if you're going to check, don't c/r imo, either c/c and allow him to carry on bluffing or go broke with a K
    I don't mind c/c to extract value from an aggressive opponent or just cbetting yourself

• edited April 2012
    Only shipping if oppo is reallllly bad, we basically turn our hand into a bluff value wise and face up read wise.

C/c or lead, dependant on oppo.

You make it pretty easy for a K to fold and take away oppos chance to vb a K or keep firing his bluffs.
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks guys.

I guess I knew I'd ****ed up when he folded.

I finished 2nd btw - and not because I was short of a few chips - walked top 2pr into a slow played set - standard. All over a few hands later.

Thanks again.
  • edited April 2012
    why are u all in if the opponent is leading out its obv u have the best hand just check call everystreet by u check raising all in u might aswell have your hand face up
  • edited April 2012
    Always minraise preflop with this stack, 3x just gonna make life harder postflop when you miss.

Bet out yourself most times (as this is what I'd do with hands that had missed AQ etc) but if check has to be to check call, if you do that pot will be size of your stack on turn so getting it in should be pretty easy, by shoving here you just make him fold all bluffs which is pretty horrendous when you hold the effective nuts.