You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bankroll management.

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Been having a good run lately and would like to tighten up my BRM so I don't spew it all back.

I've heard that, to play a particular cash level, you want at least 20 buy-ins for that level.

What's the ideal for MTTs?

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Think something in the region of 2% of your BR as a buyin. Some what can vary, but obviously variance can be quite high in MTT's.
  • edited April 2012
    yeah normally 20 buy in is fine on cash table so if u have a bankroll of 100 quid then play 4 nl and likewise i think £2.20 mtts is fine with a 100 b/r gl at the tables 
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks guys.

Most helpful.
  • edited April 2012
    For MTT's it mainly depends on field size, in a very small one less than 100 runners I'd say 50+ might be enough but if you're playing the Mini events regular where runners sometimes reach 400-600 I'd want at least 150 BI's but if I wasn't playing cash or anything else to subsidise losses (which you will get) more like 200+ as variance is SUPER sigh and you will not cash very often if EVER win.  

Of course this is all pointless drivvle if you can regulary deposit mony on to ya account, in that case play what the hell ya like but stick to a budget. 
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Bankroll management.:
    For MTT's it mainly depends on field size, in a very small one less than 100 runners I'd say 50+ might be enough but if you're playing the Mini events regular where runners sometimes reach 400-600 I'd want at least 150 BI's but if I wasn't playing cash or anything else to subsidise losses (which you will get) more like 200+ as variance is SUPER sigh and you will not cash very often if EVER win.   Of course this is all pointless drivvle if you can regulary deposit mony on to ya account, in that case play what the hell ya like but stick to a budget. 
    Posted by Dudeskin8

Thanks Dude - i had a feeling it should be bigger for MTTs. I usually play 2,3, and 5 quid MTTs and BHs where there tend to be less than 60 or so runners. Treat myself to the odd mini if I've had a decent cash.

What would you recommend for DYM SnGs?

I'm trying to not top up and have managed to avoid doing so since January with steady progress from £20 towards a decent roll. MTTs have wrecked my cash game though!
  • edited April 2012
    Well I was recently playing DYM's and there defo lower variance than MTT's but still to be 100% secure in my game (not playing with scared money) I'd want 40-50 BI's as it is possible to have 10 BI downswings despite playing perfect poker and with say 20 BI's you're gonna be getting pretty nervous if that happens lol.
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks again m8
  • edited April 2012
    Well I was recently playing DYM's and there defo lower variance than MTT's but still to be 100% secure in my game (not playing with scared money) I'd want 40-50 BI's as it is possible to have 10 BI downswings despite playing perfect poker and with say 20 BI's you're gonna be getting pretty nervous if that happens lol.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    +1
  • edited May 2012
    if your starting at the lowest levels for dyms then 20 buy ins is fine

if you are playing slightly higher (upto £11_) then more like 40 would suit

gd lk
  • edited May 2012
    if your starting at the lowest levels for dyms then 20 buy ins is fine if you are playing slightly higher (upto £11_) then more like 40 would suit gd lk
    Posted by barnsie
    Thanks Barnsie

I'm generally playing 3&5 quid DYMs and MTTs. So I should have a BR of about £150 yes?

• edited May 2012
    I used to be a 30 buyin person but found myself doing stupid things like gambling up to the next level when i lost 3 or 4 in a row.  So now i have a 100 buyin rule for myself at each level to avoid going into this mindset.
  • edited May 2012
    I'm only low stakes, but personally I play 20 buy-ins on cash and stt's, 40 on mtt's but am prepared to subsidise mtt entries from cash profits.
  • edited May 2012
    I'm quite conservative in my bankroll management but, FWIW, I use a 50 buy in rule for cash and 100 BI for MTTs.

I also read some good bankroll advice from Tommy D's diary. He pointed out it's pretty daft stepping up a level when you've got 50 buy ins, losing a buy in straight away and stepping down straight away, so uses a 60-40 rule to give himself a bit of leeway - stepping up at 60 BI and down if you slip below 40.