You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How Poor were you.?

edited May 2012 in The Shed
 Yes,  we were so poor as children we could only go out to play one at a time as Mum& Dad could only afford one pair of shoe's for all of us.    Dads size 10s 

Comments

• edited April 2012
    We were so poor we could not afford tinsel for the Christmas Tree... so we just waited around for Grandpa to sneeze...
  • edited April 2012
    We made a hole in the kitchen wall, behind the cooker, and we used to dip our bread in next door’s gravy!
  • edited April 2012
    we were so poor instead of selling the big issue, i had to use it for toilett paper
  • edited April 2012
      To make the shopping money go round our Mum would dry the tea bags and put them back in the box.  She gave us biscuits as a treat till we found out the Dog next door buried them in our garden.  We got one fizzy drink to last a week so she tied a knot in the straw's.  We were that poor even Oxfam refused our old clothes.
  • edited May 2012
     We were that poor that during the Winter we all had to take turns at holding the light bulb to keep warm.!
  • edited May 2012
    We were so poor when we went to KFC we had to lick other peoples fingers
  • edited May 2012

When I asked Mum for a new dress she said, "New clothes are for Posh People and your old dress was not worn out till there were more holes than material.  My Nickname at school was Cinderella

We used to think Cardboard was another name for Leather as Dad would put it in our shoes to cover the holes.!

• edited May 2012
     As Children we formed a Girl Band called   "The Rumble Tummies" 
  • edited May 2012

when i was younger, one day we were so poor we had to let the cook go.
    the butler, had to use the upstairs maid to make dinner.
    we even had to ration the shells that the gamekeeper could use.

LIFE WAS HARD  IN THOSE DAYS.
  • edited May 2012
     Terrible for Rich people becoming poor.   You have to feel for them.?  sob! sob!

Poor people getting poorer no big deal.  ha! ha! 
  • edited May 2012
    We were so poor that if i hadn't been born a boy i wouldn't have had anything at all to play with.
  • edited May 2012
    We were so poor when a neighbour saw us kicking a can down the street she thought we were moving.
  • edited May 2012
       The mice in our house were anorexic  ?
  • edited May 2012
    As Children we would look forward to the wriggling Spaghetti each week,  till the Health Worker told us it was Earth Worms.!
    Mum said we were lucky as French Children had to eat snails.?   Euck !
  • edited May 2012

to save money, we used to run behind the bus, that saved us 20p.
    now i run behind a taxi, saving £5.00.
    i think i should be the chancellor. move over osbourne.
  • edited May 2012

We were given Pogo Sticks to get to school.  Well that's what Dad said.!  Mum told us they were Poo sticks.?  So we chucked them over the Bridge on the way home.?

• edited May 2012
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: How Poor were you.?:
    ... luxury.
    Posted by aussie09
    So silver Spoon boy,   tell us ?
  • edited May 2012

im amazed just how well off you all were. tales of extravigence and excess.
    you must all have lived in a world of plenty.
    i on the other hand lived in true poverty, at one time we had no caviar for a whole week.
    and we could only afford pheasant out of season.
    beef wellington was only served on sundays.
    and moet was served, ony in the evenings.
    now that was true hardship.
  • edited May 2012

to save energy my father only beat me on fridays
  • edited May 2012
    im amazed just how well off you all were. tales of extravigence and excess. you must all have lived in a world of plenty. i on the other hand lived in true poverty, at one time we had no caviar for a whole week. and we could only afford pheasant out of season. beef wellington was only served on sundays. and moet was served, ony in the evenings. now that was true hardship.
    Posted by bludreid11
    Yep!  bet you even claimed the Maundy Money from the Queen,?     Roll on Friday.?   :=))
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: How Poor were you.? : Yep!  bet you even claimed the Maundy Money from the Queen,?     Roll on Friday.?   :=))
    Posted by logdon
    yes the maundy money from auntie liz did help but it was only once a year, we had to go to the back door of the palace to get our weekly allotment. uncle phillip, thought that we would SHOW him up, if we entered the front door.
    during the colder months "PAPA" would have to burn down a few "tied cottages " to keep us warm.
    and our sport was reduced to SHOOTING RUSTICS in the fields, this really wasnt a sport because as we crept up on them,
    they would see us, stand to attention and tug their forelock, as we brought our guns to bear, they just said good morning my lord. NOT MUCH FUN IN THAT.
    many people dont understand the hardships we had to endure, the fact that AUNTIE liz felt the need to give us money shows just how empoverished we were.
    now that i have children, i have kept up the family tradition of only beating them on fridays, going green in my dotage i think.
    i will put this to the government, SAVE ENERGY, ONLY BEAT ON FRIDAYS.
    now in my last posts, ive saved money and energy. move over cameron