You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

JJ in $1200 mini BH 12 players left. Call or fold?

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Was mulling this hand over and wanted to see what others do in same spot. Villian is chip leader at time of the hand, and about 4 hands previously he had shoved over my open raise with AQ and I'd folded it. He then said he had KK after I folded. So when I open with JJ and he shoves over I'm not feeling great about them, but my stack is now at 20bb with the blinds due to raise to next level in about one minutes time. So call or fold?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
SiHarvey Small blind  200.00 200.00 17170.00
angel091 Big blind  400.00 600.00 4180.00
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

Roydo Fold     
KAM99 Raise  850.00 1450.00 7810.00
nosgoth05 Fold     
SiHarvey All-in  17170.00 18620.00 0.00

Comments

• edited April 2012
    If it’s me I’m making a stand so call – not in love with situation though!
  • edited April 2012
    I don't care how tight the opponent is, if you're not getting 20bb in with JJ, then you're making a mistake IMO. Snap call it off.
  • edited April 2012
    u cant raise fold jack jack 20 bigs simples with the this mi raise preflop i thought u was intiscing a all in after your bet and for some reason doubted yaself its a call all the time here 
  • edited April 2012
    Hi Kam

read "Jacks the lads or just plain messi?' in brags, beats a nd variance section. You'll see why I'm not sure that i'm the one to answer this question after my recent experience with Jacks.Ha Ha

PS For what it's worth you have  m=13 though effective m is lower. I'd say call but i think it may be a flip with 54:46 in your favour ie AKo etc. Your min raise+ doesn't look too strong does it. Mind, you should ask yourself why doesn't he just triple your raise? Did you notice how he was playing before this? Had he just had a cooler and may be tilted etc? That sort of thing...
    PS i've not been doing so well recently in MTT's so its only an opinion. I don't think call or fold is outlandishly wrong myself. What happened, by the way?
  • edited April 2012
    Yeah, happy enough with that feed back. I decided it would be just stupid to fold 20bb at this stage with blinds about to rise even though I wasn't happy I was going to like what I saw. I called and he showed KK and they held up. He had shown signs earlier to get it in with lesser holdings like KQ, so there was for sure a chance I would have been racing while ahead, but as it was I was in a deep hole that got filled in. :)

And yes Idonk I was min raising partly for action, but had been varying my raises from 2-3bb since 200BB level. So yeah, i was looking for action, just didn't like somewhat how fast he shoved his stack in. There was like zero thought before he shoved, and thats rarely good sign.
  • edited April 2012
    You can't raise fold JJ with 22bbs! lol   
  • edited April 2012
    you would need a very strong read to fold here. I'd prob call off the AQ too fwiw
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: JJ in $1200 mini BH 12 players left. Call or fold?:
    You can't raise fold JJ with 22bbs! lol   
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Ah its good you can laugh at peoples questions. I'm rusty with my MTT play as not played one in a year, so just wanted to check my call was correct for the BB level... but hey if you want to act superior in a forum thats there for questions good for you... don't worry I'm glad you are so good that the questions are beneath you.
  • edited May 2012
    To be honest I presumed you were a pretty decent player from previous posts you made in other threads about cash etc, didn't realise you hadn't played MTT's for a while, will try to be more observent next time. ;)
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: JJ in $1200 mini BH 12 players left. Call or fold?:
    To be honest I presumed you were a pretty decent player from previous posts you made in other threads about cash etc, didn't realise you hadn't played MTT's for a while, will try to be more observent next time. ;)
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Yeah, it was partly down to fact I  hadn't played an MTT in a long while, and not something I overly do anyway because I have very long run of bad luck with flips, so my MTT's tend to blow in later stages when you got to get some luck. But was also down to fact I'd seen him make the play so recently with KK, and just had a feeling I was up against a similar hand, and at very best flipping against AK. Didn't see him making it with much worse. Had seen him make a call with KQ early in the game against a short stack shove, but otherwise it was a pretty super strong hand. So I did spend a while afterwards thinking "could I have laid that down?" due to my read I thuoght I was beat before i called. Felt like a crying river call before I even hit the call button. To be honest I was border line shoving it preflop, but though at 22bb i wanted a little action or a shove offf someone else, bt preferable not the biggest stack.
  • edited May 2012
    Didn't you say he 'told you he had KK' ? 

People usually try to make you feel good about your play (folding) so you keep doing it when they have bad hands, therefore never trust until you have cold evidence, hand histories ;)