You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

stupid play against a player who a know is a very weak player?

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
this oppenant had be playing very weak poker never laying down ragg aces to raises so i decide to take a strong line here and rep a over pair to this board thoughts pls
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
9se7enTr3y Small blind   50.00 50.00 5668.75
donnabelucky Big blind   100.00 150.00 5105.00
  Your hole cards

kickfast19 Fold        
3barrels Raise   350.00 500.00 5042.50
myrrdhin Fold        
9se7enTr3y Fold        
donnabelucky Call   250.00 750.00 4855.00
Flop

donnabelucky Bet   100.00 850.00 4755.00
3barrels Raise   700.00 1550.00 4342.50
donnabelucky Call   600.00 2150.00 4155.00
Turn

donnabelucky Check        
3barrels Bet   1100.00 3250.00 3242.50
donnabelucky Call   1100.00 4350.00 3055.00
River

donnabelucky Check        
3barrels Bet   2175.00 6525.00 1067.50
donnabelucky Call   2175.00 8700.00 880.00
3barrels Show

donnabelucky Show
  • K

donnabelucky Win Pair of 9s 8700.00   9580.00

Comments

• edited May 2012
    If oppo is a station, don't bluff
    once station oppo calls your raise, give up -
  • edited May 2012
    dont raise flop

definitely give up when he calls flop and turn brings low card

river meh, you dont know enough about him, give up
  • edited May 2012
    Don't raise so big pre, 3.5x is a bit too big IMO.

Call flop. Firstly, the villain is giving you a brilliant opportunity to call, spike a 4, and stack him. We know he's a station, so if we hit we'll get paid.

Secondly, we may still have the best hand as Villain can have A high or 2 overs here, but by raising we fold out air.

Thirdly, the sort of player that will min bet is likely to bet small on all 3 streets with both made hands and bluffs, so as well as giving you implied odds to hit a 4, he'll probably end up giving you a ridiculously good price to call on the river with what will essentially be a bluff catcher, so you can quite easily just call off 3 min bets here.

As played, don't pick a massive station fish to make moves against next time.
  • edited May 2012
    Was on my table last night.
    Couldn't believe how many times he was hitting the river!
  • edited May 2012
    Minraise pre, 350 is crazy big.

Just call flop for me and go from there as his bet looks weak and could have air.

If you're going to play like this I'd try and to it against someone you've identified can actually fold a hand, i.e not this player lol
  • edited May 2012
    alot of things wrong here 1st the raise size pre is to big should be 2.5 x so 250 and dnt like the massive raise on flop maybe raise for info bout 400 dont know y so big soon as u get called wave white flag 
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: stupid play against a player who a know is a very weak player?:
    raise for info 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Don't do this.
  • edited May 2012
    so the 100 bet u would just fold pingu that 100 bet looks so weak the amount of people that bet 100 and fold to a raise is unreal no point in calling a 100 dnt understand ya logic not this like to hear why ? i respect ya game alot but imo i think this is the best play if u call 100 then what u do on the turn call another bet this way is just wasting chips as by raising can win the pot 
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: stupid play against a player who a know is a very weak player?:
    so the 100 bet u would just fold pingu that 100 bet looks so weak the amount of people that bet 100 and fold to a raise is unreal no point in calling a 100 dnt understand ya logic not this like to hear why ? i respect ya game alot but imo i think this is the best play if u call 100 then what u do on the turn call another bet this way is just wasting chips as by raising can win the pot 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Yes, by raising, we can take the pot down, and if we had a hand like JTs where we're never ahead, I'd agree that we're never calling . But with 44, we could still have the best hand here and want to extract more value with the best hand, and if we are behind, we have implied odds to try and hit a 4 on the turn, knowing that our opponent is a weak player and will pay us off when we hit.

By raising with 44, we never get called by worse, and we never get better hands to fold, so raising achieves nothing.
  • edited May 2012
    i know thats y i raise as a bluff and win pot by calling u putting yaself in tricky spots and calling turn and river if brick brick and lose more chips imo might be losing play but hey ho 
  • edited May 2012
    raising for info is the worst thing you can do. We should be either bettiing for value or as a bluff
  • edited May 2012
    If he plays rag hands like you said then i would be very worried about that board, The way to get weak players that call like this is to play tight wait till you hit big and reel them in. No way would i try and make a stand against them with pk 4s by overbetting them not unless i hit a set. Dont try and out play them by betting big on a bluff because there gonna call you anyway and if they hit any of that your done for. Never bluff calling stations only bluff tight players that will fold if they havnt hit.
  • edited May 2012
    cheers for the input guys all pointers taken in
  • edited May 2012
    if your calling someone a weak player i would guess you should take his name out!!