You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Aggressive play didn't work or?...

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
sox777Small blind £0.02£0.02£3.74
pl123Big blind £0.04£0.06£3.74
 Your hole cards

gers8816Fold    
_G_Fold    
DietChipsRaise £0.16£0.22£2.14
sox777Call £0.14£0.36£3.60
pl123Call £0.12£0.48£3.62
Flop

• J

sox777Check    
pl123Bet £0.04£0.52£3.58
DietChipsRaise £0.32£0.84£1.82
sox777Fold    
pl123Call £0.28£1.12£3.30
Turn

• A

pl123Check    
DietChipsAll-in £1.82£2.94£0.00
pl123Call £1.82£4.76£1.48
pl123Show
  • J

DietChipsShow

River

pl123WinPair of Jacks£4.40

Comments

• edited May 2012
    This is an example of why bluffing is not a great idea at NL4.

Pre fine.

He lays you 13-1 to hit your set with mindonkbet so I believe you should actually call here as odds are correct to hit plus you might have best hand anyway.
  • edited May 2012
    The 4p bet he put in after the flop was my reason for raising, then his check on the river was my reason for going all in. Just wrongly read I suppose...
  • edited May 2012
    alot of things wrong here your line is bad u raise pre then raise flop then ace comes your all in your repping 3 hands lol
  • edited May 2012
    I've never actually thought of that... so true
  • edited May 2012
    Simple fact is never bluff at this level, they won't be overly thinking about what you are doing, only that they have a pair on the board. So unless you've seen someone that has ability to lay down a hand don't bluff them, its not worth it. Don't mind a raise on button pre when action is folded to you. I don't like limping small pairs unless you limp other hands (which is also bad) as you will start to give tells that you only limp small PP's. Assuming any of them are actually paying attention anyway.. if not limping is not bad.

As played I'd likely be down with the hand when he donk bets into you. Rare at small stakes they are bluffing too, and anything he actually has is beating you unless its a smaller PP or the 3. You could call his donk bet i guess as he is giving you 13:1 pot odds to call, which is inside the odds of you hitting another 6, but still I wouldn't play your line at that level.. Yes the raise might push him off, but as it didn't there was not to much chance even with his check he would fold to a shove... they just won't no matter what if they have a pair unless you seen a laydown before from them.
  • edited May 2012
    I think I need to progress from the 2/4p tables. I've just been playing them for around 2 hours and they simply limp in with good hands, even if your raise pre is only 3BB they fold... EVERY TIME!
  • edited May 2012
    Well, bit of exaggeration there but what I'm getting at is they're willing to limp with any hand to see what comes out for the flop.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Aggressive play didn't work or?...:
    Well, bit of exaggeration there but what I'm getting at is they're willing to limp with any hand to see what comes out for the flop.
    Posted by DietChips
    And this is bad because ?
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Aggressive play didn't work or?...:
    I think I need to progress from the 2/4p tables. I've just been playing them for around 2 hours and they simply limp in with good hands, even if your raise pre is only 3BB they fold... EVERY TIME!
    Posted by DietChips
    this must be the first time ive ever seen "they fold... EVERY TIME" used when talking about nl4.

people like to limp at nl4, folding not so much
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah, I'm wrong there. What I was trying to get at is more often than not if you raise even to 2BB they tend to fold. No matter what they have, they are willing to limp to see the flop by calling the BB. That can be a good thing though I suppose, but not so much if you decide to follow them by limping to the flop with good cards to then see nothing come out for you. Yes, you could then represent a high pocket pair but they are then going to fold (good thing) or call with something from the flop. 

I'm going to have another go on the 4NL tables tonight and see how it goes :) This is not me complaining by the way, I'm still loving my poker!
  • edited May 2012
    13/1 isnt good enough direct odds to call flop if you are looking for a set ( you prob have some implieds though to make it ok)
  • edited May 2012
    Kam is spot on when he says " So unless you've seen someone that has ability to lay down a hand don't bluff them, its not worth it.

You can bluff at nl4 but you really need to know the players who can lay down a hand at this level,there are not many. This is why you should be involved in every hand and i obviously dont mean playing every hand.
  • edited May 2012
    simple

do not bluff at these levels in any way

wait for your spot and then bet big every street