You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Good or bad call?

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I know i won the hand but im starting to think it was a bad call.
Table was very limpy thats why i didnt re-raise pre flop as i new i would get 3 callers (is this a good or bad aswel?)
Hand History #514313018 (16:29 03/05/2012)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceBIGVAL88Small blind £0.05£0.05£14.07dwayne1980Big blind £0.10£0.15£4.98 Your hole cardsKQ   MMmm101Raise £0.20£0.35£13.08robham1Call £0.20£0.55£5.69thomas87Call £0.20£0.75£11.86BIGVAL88Fold    dwayne1980Call £0.10£0.85£4.88Flop  J96   dwayne1980Check    MMmm101Bet £0.20£1.05£12.88robham1Call £0.20£1.25£5.49thomas87Raise £0.80£2.05£11.06dwayne1980Call £0.80£2.85£4.08MMmm101Call £0.60£3.45£12.28robham1All-in £5.49£8.94£0.00thomas87Call £4.89£13.83£6.17dwayne1980All-in £4.08£17.91£0.00MMmm101Fold    dwayne1980ShowK7   robham1Show6J   thomas87ShowKQ   Turn  10   River  10   thomas87WinStraight to the King£16.56 £22.73

Comments

• edited May 2012
    its not about the call here why are u raising the flop its not k q of hearts if u had that hand then yes raise with a gut shot and 2 overs this is never a raise here call and peel a turn card once u have raised here i would fold u put yaself in a dilemma by raising the flop which i dont tbh 
  • edited May 2012
    Its neither good or bad.. its horrific call. You have a gutshot draw and two overcards to the board. Even assuming your KQ are live cards you are calling off your stack with 40% equity at most, and could well be far worse (and you were in this hand with 21%). And yes in an ideal world preflop I'd have 3bet the min raise preflop to try and thin the field and give your button postion even more power. KQ often plays very badly against a raisers range, so hand have to be very careful with, as you can be dominated many, many times when calling, but at least you have the button.

I know what you mean about the 10p stacks on here. Its full of very bad players that will limp and still call raises or raises and 3bets that happen after they limp. Which is funny as their hand wasn't good enough to raise but is fine to call a raise or more. Hell, I've just been testing the software and got my QQ cracked by 26 after they called my 3bet to UTG's 3bb opening raise, and then called 2 streets of betting with bottom pair before making two pair on river.... Crazy players I agree.

Still not a good call this one, and one should avoid. Pretty much its ALWAYS bad to chase gutshot draws. Different to bet with a gutshot and overs, as you put them to the question, but unless its cheap you should have got off this hand on the flop. And you did have cheap option to see turn and should have taken it as played, rather than a raise with nothing and risking what happened; IE a shove.
  • edited May 2012
    Worst call I've ever seen and you're the type of person that gets me on life tilt
  • edited May 2012

Ok thanks idonkcallu, i put at least one oppo on a FD so thought it was better to charge them to get there? but taking on board what u have said and looking over the hand it would have been better to call and peel a turn as i made my straight and would have felt better about my hand (untill the river lol)

• edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Good or bad call?:
    Ok thanks idonkcallu, i put at least one oppo on a FD so thought it was better to charge them to get there? but taking on board what u have said and looking over the hand it would have been better to call and peel a turn as i made my straight and would have felt better about my hand (untill the river lol)
    Posted by thomas87
    You've taken a poker play and used it in the wrong situation. You can make some pay to see a flush draw, BUT only really if you have a made hand, or at very least have a strong draw yourself. Simply though you normally charge a drawer when y ou have a made hand and you want to give them bad odds to call chasing their draw.

Plus in this case you didn't know this was the case. Mainly because you had one bet and one call before action got to you. Yes, they are weak bets into that pot, but thats still two people that have some interest in that flop, and with a lot of beginners having no idea about bet sizing they could be holding anything right then, and you are holding nothing. So take the free, or cheap cards when you can in a multi way pot or you risk getting blow off your draw etc.
  • edited May 2012

Thanks kam99 it is hard to take sometimes when as u say raise a limper with AK they call u down every street and hit bottom pair with 83 off.
    Maybe i was tilting a bit from these bad beats and called because of it, who knows but many thanks for your reply

• edited May 2012
    I'd just call flop bet IP with a GS + possible over cards, by raising you give people the chance to 3bet with draws and get you off. 

Also multi-way it's gonna be REALLY hard to get this sort of move through, though if you are going to try it I'd raise more as that raise prices most draws in anyway which defeats the point of raising. 

When the guy shoves I you have to fold as like KAM say 40% chance to win but that's at the best with both overs live.