You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What does this river bet mean?

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic

just dont get this move if he hand a strong hand surely player would check it back since i had the betting lead and if it was a value bet why so small.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceWheresDirkSmall blind £0.10£0.10£19.97boyzee27Big blind £0.20£0.30£10.72 Your hole cards10Q   catiousFold    chipper88Raise £0.40£0.70£40.87super_flyRaise £1.20£1.90£28.47OkayPokayFold    WheresDirkFold    boyzee27Fold    chipper88Call £0.80£2.70£40.07Flop  563   chipper88Check    super_flyBet £1.40£4.10£27.07chipper88Call £1.40£5.50£38.67Turn  K   chipper88Check    super_flyBet £2.75£8.25£24.32chipper88Call £2.75£11.00£35.92River  8   chipper88Bet £1.00£12.00£34.92super_flyFold    chipper88Muck    chipper88Win £10.45 £45.37chipper88Return £1.00£0.55£46.37 

Comments

• edited May 2012
    why are you 3betting pre?

I'd be tempted to raise river, looks like a blocker with something like 77
  • edited May 2012
    I'd prefer flatting IP with a hand with good flopping power but on the other hand it's good to raise with different hands to balance so you get paid more with monsters.

Flop good.

Turn great barrel card.

River he's bet looks like a blocker to me with like 77/99/TT that doesn't want to pay off a chunky value bet, if you have that read from previous hand probz raise to around £7-8.
  • edited May 2012
     I have ZERO problem with the 3bet in postion, and its good to do on occasion. IF you only 3bet big hands like AK, JJ and above you will never get action with them unless they got a monster too. I mean hell watch a cash game of good players guys, they will often reraise with low value hands to increase their weight and threat while in postion. Long as sometimes you flat hands like this, which I'm sure you do its cool balancing move.

That said, I think your problem then came from flop on. He did likely have a small PP here and i don't think he believed your story that you had a big PP when you bet barely more than your preflop 3bet on the flop, only 1/4 the pot. Same on the turn, which was a good card to really fire at, as that would be believeable as AK. On the river its certainly a blocker bet and not a value bet I'd say, as to small, though some do this weird type of bet with the goods. Personally I'd have to guage what I do based on information gained on him. There is no reason he would check it to you with a strong hand unless he was sure you'd fire a last time on river and possibly miss his chance to value bet a good hand. I think most times I'm reraising here strongly unless I have information he is a calling station that just won't let go of any pair. Of course it could be a small bet to induce the raise from you, but hey, sometimes thats poker and you get your hand caught in the cookie jar.