You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Gear changes.......missed it again."I'll never pass my test! Grrrr!"

Hi folks
I know that in MTT's a gear change is essential but where would people class early as ending and mid as starting? For example, maybe the first break?
Also, when we should become more LAGGY would a rough guide be to play hands say we'd only played in mid position up to then, to now play from UTG?
Similarly, where does mid finish and late start in your opinion?
I've even seen one book suggesting quartiles and changing your approach for each.......

This may seem a ridiculous q but it would be nice to know what you think....TY in anticipation

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Good guide to MTT stages is the same as OPR uses, which is 10%, 20%, 40%(middle), 20%(mid-late), 10%(late). So thats percentage of people gone out(middle) and left in (after middle).

I'm not a heavy MTT player myself, so you may get a better answer off others. However, I tend to be opening my range after the first break and I've had a look at the table. Will depend on my stack of course, and certainly by time the blinds hit the 100 to 200bb range I want to be opening a little more depending on field size and a few other things.

As for range. I don't tend to play early postion to much differently other than maybe on occasion using UTG as the button. Certainly though I'm getting more open and more aggresive from late postions as the blinds will start to get worth having. Definately look to be aggresive around the bubble. Look to see which players are going mega tight because they want to cash and be relentless on them. Soon as bubble pops I tighten up generally because you normally see a sudden rush of mad play from the ones over happy to have cashed.

Thats what tends to work for me. I don't play loads, but have had enough results when I have. So sure some will add to this, but thats my two pence worth of advice. :)
  • edited May 2012
    For me it completely depends on the table and the opponents. Everything is completely situational. It also depends on the structure of the tournament and your stack size in relation. For me to give you the best possible answer i need to know what kind of tournaments you play.
  • edited May 2012
    gear change depends on stack size

you can only play your stack

• edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Gear changes.......missed it again."I'll never pass my test! Grrrr!":
    gear change depends on stack size you can only play your stack
    Posted by rancid
    really m8? wow
  • edited May 2012
    i play tight early on then loosen up and a bit more agressive about quarter the way through to build up a decent stack sit back for a while and play tight then play a bit looser after the first break to get a lead then tighten up a bit nearer the end but loosen up a bit if you can bully the mid stack to short stacks.
  • edited May 2012
    play to exploit the other players

be aware of your own image (wont matter against bad players)

you need to be more aggro when blinds get larger relative to your stack
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Gear changes.......missed it again."I'll never pass my test! Grrrr!":
    Good guide to MTT stages is the same as OPR uses, which is 10%, 20%, 40%(middle), 20%(mid-late), 10%(late). So thats percentage of people gone out(middle) and left in (after middle). I'm not a heavy MTT player myself, so you may get a better answer off others. However, I tend to be opening my range after the first break and I've had a look at the table. Will depend on my stack of course, and certainly by time the blinds hit the 100 to 200bb range I want to be opening a little more depending on field size and a few other things. As for range. I don't tend to play early postion to much differently other than maybe on occasion using UTG as the button. Certainly though I'm getting more open and more aggresive from late postions as the blinds will start to get worth having. Definately look to be aggresive around the bubble. Look to see which players are going mega tight because they want to cash and be relentless on them. Soon as bubble pops I tighten up generally because you normally see a sudden rush of mad play from the ones over happy to have cashed. Thats what tends to work for me. I don't play loads, but have had enough results when I have. So sure some will add to this, but thats my two pence worth of advice. :)
    Posted by KAM99
    Cheers KAM

That's really good and is a way on guaging it that never occurred to me. I'll certainly be using it and did tonight in order to give me a better idea of where i was in the T. It's a plus from me. TY.
    PS I didn't win a penny mind!!
  • edited May 2012
    gear change depends on stack size you can only play your stack
    Posted by rancid
    Hi Rancid
    I saw an article in Poker Player which gave techniques for play considering your size of stack AND the tournament time(early, middle, late). I just wanted to get an idea of where people tend to put these boundaries. KAM's post above is set out on the OPR site so it may be an acceptable standard as so many books refer to 'this hand was played in a middle to late stage etc. Surely some standardisation is needed?
    What do you think?
  • edited May 2012
    i play tight early on then loosen up and a bit more agressive about quarter the way through to build up a decent stack sit back for a while and play tight then play a bit looser after the first break to get a lead then tighten up a bit nearer the end but loosen up a bit if you can bully the mid stack to short stacks.
    Posted by Dazler
    Hi Dazler

Ta for the post. Nice to hear from you. No offence but i see this written a lot and it seems a bit airy fairy to me. For instance "about a quarter way through". Is this time, players out, levels gone? And if "it depends" then depends on what and what adjustments do we make? I just feel that players out on the OPR site defines it better so we are all singing from the same hymn sheet as it were. It talks in context of percentages of players who have left the tournament. Clever, i think. Interesting q though eh?
    Maybe its the ex maths teacher in me who just loves definitions!!! Ha
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Gear changes.......missed it again."I'll never pass my test! Grrrr!" : Hi Rancid I saw an article in Poker Player which gave techniques for play considering your size of stack AND the tournament time(early, middle, late). I just wanted to get an idea of where people tend to put these boundaries. KAM's post above is set out on the OPR site so it may be an acceptable standard as so many books refer to 'this hand was played in a middle to late stage etc. Surely some standardisation is needed? What do you think?
    Posted by profman15
    I would suggest you read up on it, anything to do with playing early,middle and late stages - and how you should play certain stack sizes at each stage - never going to be an ABC answer as situations are always changing and it also depends on your playing style - the majority of mistakes in MTT are people not playing correctly according to their stack size, regardless of the stage of the tournament

happy reading )
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Gear changes.......missed it again."I'll never pass my test! Grrrr!" : I would suggest you read up on it, anything to do with playing early,middle and late stages - and how you should play certain stack sizes at each stage - never going to be an ABC answer as situations are always changing and it also depends on your playing style - the majority of mistakes in MTT are people not playing correctly according to their stack size, regardless of the stage of the tournament happy reading )
    Posted by rancid[/QUOTE
    Cheers Rancid

Ihave a high regard for your advice and that's what i'm trying to do. Must admit, i'm enjoying te process too. Would you rec a good MTT book or is the net adequate?

• edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Gear changes.......missed it again."I'll never pass my test! Grrrr!" :
    In Response to Re: Gear changes.......missed it again."I'll never pass my test! Grrrr!" : I would suggest you read up on it, anything to do with playing early,middle and late stages - and how you should play certain stack sizes at each stage - never going to be an ABC answer as situations are always changing and it also depends on your playing style - the majority of mistakes in MTT are people not playing correctly according to their stack size, regardless of the stage of the tournament happy reading ) Posted by rancid[/QUOTE Cheers Rancid Ihave a high regard for your advice and that's what i'm trying to do. Must admit, i'm enjoying te process too. Would you rec a good MTT book or is the net adequate?
    Posted by profman15
    One I've been having a read of recently is ElkY's book 'The Raiser's Edge' which has lots of advice for MTT play for different stages/stack sizes etc. However it does get quite heavy in some parts so you might need to read certain bits a few times for it to sink in. 
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Gear changes.......missed it again."I'll never pass my test! Grrrr!" :
    In Response to Re: Gear changes.......missed it again."I'll never pass my test! Grrrr!" : I would suggest you read up on it, anything to do with playing early,middle and late stages - and how you should play certain stack sizes at each stage - never going to be an ABC answer as situations are always changing and it also depends on your playing style - the majority of mistakes in MTT are people not playing correctly according to their stack size, regardless of the stage of the tournament happy reading ) Posted by rancid[/QUOTE Cheers Rancid Ihave a high regard for your advice and that's what i'm trying to do. Must admit, i'm enjoying te process too. Would you rec a good MTT book or is the net adequate?
    Posted by profman15
    Google is your friend, so much information out on the internet

Most books are outdataed, there may be some good new ones - Elky's book is supposed to be good

But what you have to remember is Elky play high rollers so, some of the play may not transfer to a £2 MTT on sky
    Play your stack accordingly, and adjust to your table -

• edited May 2012
    "Winning poker tournaments one hand at a time", by Eric "Rizen" lynch, Jon "Apesyles" Van Fleet, and Jon "Pearljammer" Turner are quite good as well if looking for MTT books. All 3 of them have done well as MTT players live and online. It's around 2008 the book, but its still got a lot of good solid information in it on how to think through hands vs your stacks and so on.

Also, I enjoyed Gus Hansens book he wrote where he goes over every hand he played when he won the aussie millions a few years back. Not everyones play style, but was interesting getting inside his head due to the fact he used a dictaphone to record his thoughts after each hand he played.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Gear changes.......missed it again."I'll never pass my test! Grrrr!" : Hi Dazler Ta for the post. Nice to hear from you. No offence but i see this written a lot and it seems a bit airy fairy to me. For instance "about a quarter way through". Is this time, players out, levels gone? And if "it depends" then depends on what and what adjustments do we make? I just feel that players out on the OPR site defines it better so we are all singing from the same hymn sheet as it were. It talks in context of percentages of players who have left the tournament. Clever, i think. Interesting q though eh? Maybe its the ex maths teacher in me who just loves definitions!!! Ha
    Posted by profman15
    none taken m8 just the way i do it sometimes, each players different its not written in stone, there are lots of things to consider at the time and you can never know how its gonna pan out. But as long as you have a bit of a plan i think it helps. I run deep in mtts and win a few at that. Im still learning myself especialy on the really big ring games which i do go very deep with lots of runners. Maybe i should read up in some good poker stratagy books. I never have and learned all my experience from playing as i find everyone has an opinion on how best to do it but there are a lot of contradictions with them too to. Some have a mathmatical head on them and play with that mindset im more of the creative type and maths not my strong point.