You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Aces OOP in 3b pot flop desision

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Seems like a strange one, but considering you have 160+ BBs if you fold, it's very early early stages of an MTT, I think you should fold to the flop raise. His bet has blatantly made it obvious you're playing for stacks here and you 1pr. I don't like getting in 160BB with 1pr on a relatively suited connecty board. Yes he could be drawing with you as a favourite but you already have a very decent stack and have no need to risk it.

Comments

• edited May 2012
    OK reads on villian here, he played almost every other hand always calling. This pot is isolated as the only one hes actually raised. Obviously preflop this doesnt bother me.

However on the flop he suddenly 1.5x pot which im not sure about. V this kind of villian is stacking bad ?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Dagnamit Small blind  15.00 15.00 5470.00
    The_Don90 Big blind  30.00 45.00 6170.00
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

67Bhoys Fold     
    villianRaise  120.00 165.00 6290.00
    DARNIK2005 Fold     
    lol_i_call Call  120.00 285.00 5345.00
    Dagnamit Fold     
    The_Don90 Raise  360.00 645.00 5810.00
    villianCall  270.00 915.00 6020.00
    lol_i_call Call  270.00 1185.00 5075.00
    Flop

• K

The_Don90 Bet  870.00 2055.00 4940.00
    villianRaise  3795.00 5850.00 2225.00
    lol_i_call Fold     
    The_Don90 ?????
  • edited May 2012
  • edited May 2012
    I agree with Rancid that you should get it in. I'm assuming this is an MTT, in which case it's spots like this that will build your stack to give you a shot at the win. Folding to a single raise is way too tight. Yes the board is connecting but there are only draws, not made flush or made straights, out there. We can't put our opponent on KK as it's unlikely they'd have only called our pre-flop 3-bet, so we're only afraid of TT, 66 or KT. These hands are conceivable, but only a small portion of the opponent's range which will also include KQ, KJ, and QJ as well as lower suited connectors.

Alot of the time I think we'll see a King or something like a QJ of spades.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Aces OOP in 3b pot flop desision:
    I agree with Rancid that you should get it in. I'm assuming this is an MTT, in which case it's spots like this that will build your stack to give you a shot at the win. Folding to a single raise is way too tight. Yes the board is connecting but there are only draws, not made flush or made straights, out there. We can't put our opponent on KK as it's unlikely they'd have only called our pre-flop 3-bet, so we're only afraid of TT, 66 or KT. These hands are conceivable, but only a small portion of the opponent's range which will also include KQ, KJ, and QJ as well as lower suited connectors. Alot of the time I think we'll see a King or something like a QJ of spades.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    hes never raised so surley KK has to be considered as part of that range.
  • edited May 2012
    easy ship opponent could have flush draw a k easily here all in a hope ya bullets hold 
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Aces OOP in 3b pot flop desision:
    In Response to Re: Aces OOP in 3b pot flop desision : hes never raised so surley KK has to be considered as part of that range.
    Posted by The_Don90
    It would be atypical for a player to raise with KK, be called and then only call a cold 3-bet. He'd assume that he's going to see a flop three-handed. It's unlikely that you'll see an opponent play KK this way. That doesn't mean that he doesn't play it this way but when we're putting him on a range we have to say what is likely and what is not.

It's unlikely that he'd play 72 this way but I'm sure there are people who would. Does that mean that we should include 72 in his perceived range? Of course not. Admittedly KK is more likely than 72 here but it's still quite unlikely. We can't guarantee what his range is but there are hands that are more likely than others.
  • edited May 2012
    you still have backdoor spades anyway - ) if oppo has the set
  • edited May 2012
    got ak written all over it

• edited May 2012
    If he had like clicked it back I'd be more suspisious but that bizarre over raise doesn't look as strong to me and as it's a 3bet pot I'd be happy getting it in here.
  • edited May 2012
    It does look like he is trying to protect something, which can't be the nfd as you have the As 

Most likely AK or QXs, although he could be protecting a set from the flush
    you say he is loose, so maybe he raised because this time he has 66 or, more likely, TT which for him is at the higher end of his range.

looks like early days in a deepstack, so probably not enough recent history for him to be trying to exploit your image unless you have previous history. If he is a DS reg maybe he finds this scares off most DS players who are looking for a longer grind.

guess it all depends on whether you'd prefer the easy option of folding and looking for an easier spot, or playing the percentages which I think means shove.
  • edited May 2012
    3bet bigger pre

get it in now, you should be good often enough I think. He prob doesnt raise 66 or the 2 pair combos pre, he can have AK , KQ lots and will sometimes be "protecting" JJ,QQ 
  • edited May 2012

Looks very much like AK or QJ spades or someting around that area of spades. I would say from your reads your ahead majority of the time so get em in. (Folding isn't bad)