You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

This happens often, surely it cant always be a bad beat......

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
richie0710 Small blind 40.00 40.00 5165.00
robbie1992 Big blind  80.00 120.00 5852.50
 Your hole cards

flick60 Call  80.00 200.00 2240.00
THETANK Raise  320.00 520.00 2117.50
KEV955 Fold     
richie0710 Fold     
robbie1992 Call  240.00 760.00 5612.50
flick60 Call  240.00 1000.00 2000.00
Flop

robbie1992 Check     
flick60 Check     
THETANK All-in  2117.50 3117.50 0.00
robbie1992 Call  2117.50 5235.00 3495.00
flick60 Fold     
robbie1992 Show

THETANK Show
  • Q
  • Q

Turn

River

• Q

THETANK Win Three Queens 5235.00  5235.00

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Fold pre as set mining odds are poor.

Flop fine.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: This happens often, surely it cant always be a bad beat......:
    Fold pre as set mining odds are poor. Flop fine.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Usually i would but i was stacked and this player i had read well in earlier hands so i felt even out of position, i could make a move if i didnt hit.  But come on 11% chance of hitting trips, i do that and still cant win, what would the odds of been of him hittin 1 of the 2 remaining queens?
  • edited May 2012
    Ok... Dude is right. You should fold this preflop, you are not getting the implied odds to call the raise against someone with 2k stack as your odds to hit the set (trips is when you have one and hit two more on board) is about 8.5/1 and then you still have to consider if you will get their stack when you do call and hit.

Yep, its a bad beat, and sucks when it happens, but it does. Much like he could have said it sucked if his queens got cracked by jacks and so on.. it happens. As for the odds. Well he was about 9% to win on the flop.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: This happens often, surely it cant always be a bad beat......:
    Ok... Dude is right. You should fold this preflop, you are not getting the implied odds to call the raise against someone with 2k stack as your odds to hit the set (trips is when you have one and hit two more on board) is about 8.5/1 and then you still have to consider if you will get their stack when you do call and hit. Yep, its a bad beat, and sucks when it happens, but it does. Much like he could have said it sucked if his queens got cracked by jacks and so on.. it happens. As for the odds. Well he was about 9% to win on the flop.
    Posted by KAM99
    alrite thanks, i understand the fold pre thats a valid point but i suppose it is a bad beat but how long can a player keep saying that, im so determined to improve but these things make it feel impossiable to do well so much, the worse things is 2 hands later, 44 beat my ak, which really ended my tournament when if i would have won this hand i woulda gone 2nd, thanks for the advice tho hopefully i wont be on these forums as much as i would have learned lol
  • edited May 2012
    y isnt he getting the odds its 7/1 to hit a set the tank has raised extra 240 out of 2117 stack so if u think u will get hes stack when hitting hes set this works out 9/1 roughly 240 times 9 so i think call is fine here just unlucky 
  • edited May 2012
    y isnt he getting the odds its 7/1 to hit a set the tank has raised extra 240 out of 2117 stack so if u think u will get hes stack when hitting hes set this works out 9/1 roughly 240 times 9 so i think call is fine here just unlucky 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Yes, its marginal on the call on the odds of hitting his set. But you do have to factor in how often will you then get all of his 2000 chips when you hit the set. Yes this time he would cus he has QQ, but will he have QQ all 9 times? No of course not. I guess on occasion if you feeling lucky, but on the whole when its this fine a line its not worth doing it often as you just aren't certain to get all of his stack often enough to make it correct. Thas my thoughts on it the way i was taught the method for set mining in tournaments, but I can see the other side of it too. :)
  • edited May 2012
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Thanks, i would of folded if i missed to any bet, so i think it was worth taking considering my stack and his stack and the fact iv got good infromation on him.  Like you said if i hit i would take his take which i did and tbh he even said after in chat how unlucky i was so its just one of those things i suppose, buts its happening quiet often :( btw this was the £11 bounty hunter so taking his stack was important
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: This happens often, surely it cant always be a bad beat...... : alrite thanks, i understand the fold pre thats a valid point but i suppose it is a bad beat but how long can a player keep saying that, im so determined to improve but these things make it feel impossiable to do well so much, the worse things is 2 hands later, 44 beat my ak, which really ended my tournament when if i would have won this hand i woulda gone 2nd, thanks for the advice tho hopefully i wont be on these forums as much as i would have learned lol
    Posted by robbie1992
    MTT's are fickle things. I played in a 3000 field one a few weeks back and made the money second in chips, and then went out in spectacular fashion in 4 hands when I was between 60-80% favourite each time. You need a bit of luck at times at the tables, and definately in MTT's, as no matter the odds in your favour if they aren't drawing dead you can still lose, and will sometimes. Just have to shrug and move on to the next one, even if sometimes they do sometimes crush the life out of you some of the hands if its really sick beat.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: This happens often, surely it cant always be a bad beat...... : MTT's are fickle things. I played in a 3000 field one a few weeks back and made the money second in chips, and then went out in spectacular fashion in 4 hands when I was between 60-80% favourite each time. You need a bit of luck at times at the tables, and definately in MTT's, as no matter the odds in your favour if they aren't drawing dead you can still lose, and will sometimes. Just have to shrug and move on to the next one, even if sometimes they do sometimes crush the life out of you some of the hands if its really sick beat.
    Posted by KAM99
    Yeah MMT im not massively keen on for the reason you said just there, its very fickle, but then again the feeling of winning one if better then alot of things.  But we say you need the luck and all that, but how do pro's constantly make money, not everyone can constantly have luck on there side, iv never worked that one out
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: This happens often, surely it cant always be a bad beat...... : Yeah MMT im not massively keen on for the reason you said just there, its very fickle, but then again the feeling of winning one if better then alot of things.  But we say you need the luck and all that, but how do pro's constantly make money, not everyone can constantly have luck on there side, iv never worked that one out
    Posted by robbie1992
    That comes under the same banner as why i can't dunk like jordan, hit a golf ball like tiger woods once could, sprint like bolt, or any other amount of things that other people can do better than me. Fact is some are always going to be the best, or better at stuff than you or me no matter how long we try. Doesn't mean we can't get there, but point is that there is the cream of teh crop at everything. :)
  • edited May 2012
    Fold pre as your losing the majority of your stack over time by calling here your getting 7/1 but hitting the set 12/1 (i think) and also your going to run into alot of flops where you think your hand is good e.g one over and end up doubling others up. You hit your set but remember your hand was crushed pre and you hit your 2 outer he just did the same.
  • edited May 2012
    Fold pre as your losing the majority of your stack over time by calling here your getting 7/1 but hitting the set 12/1 (i think) and also your going to run into alot of flops where you think your hand is good e.g one over and end up doubling others up. You hit your set but remember your hand was crushed pre and you hit your 2 outer he just did the same.
    Posted by Batkin88
    About 8.5/1 for making a set, but agree with the rest as I put earlier. :D
  • edited May 2012
    It's just over 7:1 (7.5) to flop a set. You also have to take into account the head-prize when looking at the pot-odds.