You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should i be taking over betting at any point?

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
i would be trying to get stacks in on flop so i would raise to about a £1

Comments

• edited May 2012
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceTONTOBSmall blind £0.02£0.02£5.54philking14Big blind £0.04£0.06£1.19 Your hole cardsAK   xxRaise £0.16£0.22£3.29SwogCall £0.16£0.38£4.00TONTOBFold    philking14Fold    Flop  106A   xxBet £0.29£0.67£3.00SwogCall £0.29£0.96£3.71Turn  8   xxBet £0.48£1.44£2.52SwogCall £0.48£1.92£3.23River  7   xxBet £0.96£2.88£1.56SwogFold    xxMuck    xxWin £1.77 £3.33xxReturn £0.96£0.15£4.29
    No reads on this player, should i be 3 betting pre flop or on flop/turn. On the river i was unsure what to do! Looking back it looks likely he has AQ, AJ or some random two pair/set, does he have TP enough of the time to make the call on the river.
    Im assuming here that a flush/straight would play this different on the river, instead of the half pot (again)
    What would these half pots represent in your opinion?
  • edited May 2012
    I'd probably 3bet pre most the time but flatting is ok too.

As played calling down is fine but why do you fold on the river, his half-pot bets looks fairly weak to me so there's no way I fold river.

Raising at any point is tricky as might not get called by worse, if you know he's awful do raise but I prefer call down keep bluffs/worse hands in. Not many peeps raise pre at NL4 and to raise 4x shows some sort of knowledge so think calling is better. 
  • edited May 2012
    3 bet pre

or

raise wet flop
  • edited May 2012
    3bet pre

at 4Nl raise flop

call river
  • edited May 2012
    Thanks for the advice so far, i believe i played it okay up until the river. This is where id like more advice please.
    I think he could quite easily be making this weak bet with somethink that beats my top pair (i.e two pair/set).

I think pre a call in position keeps weaker holdings involved in the hand.

All im hoping for here is AQ AJ, surely? Are these holdings 33% likely for the call to be profitable?
  • edited May 2012
    The way you've played it you're hand is super under-repped so even though he could have a 2pair hand he could also be over-valueing a worse holding, AQ/AJ but maybe even A9. 
  • edited May 2012
    3 bet pre for value versus weaker holdings + to get better holdings to fold now or on flop

Put it this way, if oppo showed you they had AQ would you 3 bet

Likewise if oppo showed you they had AA, you would fold

what hands does oppo need to show you to make you want to call ?

By not 3 betting AK here you gotta put oppo on such a narrow range
    Also if oppo has pairs < QQ, how do you expect to get all stack on A75 flop

• edited May 2012
    I dont hate the flat pre IP tbh.  We want a ton of hands to stay in that we crush, then can value town dominated hands post.

3betting pre is obv fine alse, and perhaps a better line at NL4, just to go to flop HU IP.

If we think oppo is likely to have Ax here portion of time just hit the raise button and get it in for shizzle @ NL4.

Amusingly I would take this exact line @ NL100 vs a player I read well.  C/C him to bankrupcy.  Dont think we can ever fold river as played, oppo shows up with worse more than enough and wont likely think of a c/c line with worse Ax hands.