You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Satellite question

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
3 left, first gets seat, second gets 4 buy-ins cash. KT 3-handed is pretty strong, but with the other big stack in the small blind is there an argument for either folding pre or min-raising and folding to small blind/calling off against short stack in big blind? Not sure if this is just standard or if I could've played this better.

Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance
bungle72 Small blind   600.00 600.00 11520.00
tempusfuge Big blind   1200.00 1800.00 4800.00
Your hole cards
  • K
Giant811 All-in   8880.00 10680.00 0.00
bungle72 All-in   11520.00 22200.00 0.00
tempusfuge Fold        
bungle72 Unmatched bet   3240.00 18960.00 3240.00
bungle72 Show
  • Q
  • A

Giant811 Show
  • K

Flop
  • J
Turn
River
bungle72 Win Ace high 18960.00   22200.00 

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Tempus is short but you're not to deep either so I like shove and overall pretty unlucky to run into AQ. 

Minraise folding would not be an option for me as it would badly damage you, it's only ever shove or fold and shove feels right to me.
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah, it's a shove for me too but I'd be irrtiated that bungle72 didn't "get it" and fold. Tempusfuge has 5BB and I'd expect a player with good sat strategy knowledge to fold AQ in the SB... How much difference in value is there between 4 buy-ins and the seat? If it's one of those one seat in five sats, then I'd be pretty surprised to be called by AQ.

Still, it's not for us to question our opponent's play and I think the shove is fine. You're not super-deep and you don't want to fold a stronger than average hand here if there's any chance that bungle might fold and give a walk to tempusfuge.
  • edited May 2012
    Looks fine, depends a lot on how big stack plays though
  • edited May 2012
    Think shove is fine here also. Last thing I want in this spot is to be to weak going into heads up, and so I'm shoving here and hoping BB calls me with worse as he only has less than 5bbs and has left it way late to shove. I ideally in this spot with only first playing want to be the one to knock out the last guy and more so if behind in chips to the leader, as while you can overturn 3:1 chips leads it does make it harder if you coming into HU with that imbalance.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Satellite question:
    Think shove is fine here also. Last thing I want in this spot is to be to weak going into heads up, and so I'm shoving here and hoping BB calls me with worse as he only has less than 5bbs and has left it way late to shove. I ideally in this spot with only first playing want to be the one to knock out the last guy and more so if behind in chips to the leader, as while you can overturn 3:1 chips leads it does make it harder if you coming into HU with that imbalance.
    Posted by KAM99
    I don't agree that tempusfuge has made a mistake by letting his stack get so short. The big stack has only 10BB and tempusfuge could actually fold to a shove in this hand and still have fold equity in the next hand with just 4BB. The stack sizes and satellite dynamic make this a very different situation to a standard MTT or SnG.