You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Set of Q`s insta call or fold?

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Deepstack tourney, oppo had limped into every hand,
Was the turn check ok or do i fire again?
What can we put him on here?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
FfLlTt89 Small blind  200.00 200.00 28079.05
Payney1978 Big blind  400.00 600.00 11960.00
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

davelufc Raise  1200.00 1800.00 16046.88
erkoume15 Fold     
mitre465 Call  1200.00 3000.00 9040.00
FfLlTt89 Fold     
Payney1978 Fold     
Flop

• K
  • A

davelufc Bet  1500.00 4500.00 14546.88
mitre465 Call  1500.00 6000.00 7540.00
Turn

• Q

davelufc Check     
mitre465 All-in  7540.00 13540.00 0.00
davelufc ???

Comments

• edited May 2012
    you play 300NL cash sometimes and need to ask this question?

snappiest of snapcalls
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Set of Q`s insta call or fold?:
    you play 300NL cash sometimes and need to ask this question? snappiest of snapcalls
    Posted by grantorino
    this

but any question in the clinic is legitimate imo, sometimes we all need to check stuff just for peace of mind.
  • edited May 2012
    Does he have AA or KK? No, he'd 3bet pre.

If he's got J10, nh wp.

Get the money in.
  • edited May 2012
    Do you mean he has limped into every hand, or limped into every hand he has chosen to play? Either way not the sign of a strong player. And I'm not really checking the turn, as now his shove has left a harder question over if he does have 10J. As only really 3 hands beating you I don't see how you can to easy fold. That said if the guy is a weak player this is quite often their go to move when they hit the nuts hoping they get a call, but I guess most bets at that pot size and blind level would be pot commiting, so shove could mean lots of things. If you'd bet teh turn, might have had more cause to think of a laydown, but as is he could have any combo of two pair or just a ace. Snap call and hope if he does have the straight you get lucky and pair board.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Set of Q`s insta call or fold?:
    What can we put him on here?
    By the fact that you have posted the hand he either has AA, KK or JT. Seriously, why are you posting this?
  • edited May 2012
    Do you mean he has limped into every hand, or limped into every hand he has chosen to play? Either way not the sign of a strong player. And I'm not really checking the turn, as now his shove has left a harder question over if he does have 10J. As only really 3 hands beating you I don't see how you can to easy fold. That said if the guy is a weak player this is quite often their go to move when they hit the nuts hoping they get a call, but I guess most bets at that pot size and blind level would be pot commiting, so shove could mean lots of things. If you'd bet teh turn, might have had more cause to think of a laydown, but as is he could have any combo of two pair or just a ace. Snap call and hope if he does have the straight you get lucky and pair board.
    Posted by KAM99
    You post good stuff here, but you are way overthinking this

Checking turn doesnt leave a hard question. We have a set, have played hand like we have air and only have just over a potsized bet behind. Villain can bet a ton of worse hands and even against JT we have some equity

Betting turn and even considering folding with stacks as they are would be lolbad unless you had a soulread on villain beelzebub would be proud of. 
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Set of Q`s insta call or fold? : By the fact that you have posted the hand he either has AA, KK or JT. Seriously, why are you posting this?
    Posted by jugglegeek
    I apologise mush, i forgot that players never bluff at poker, you never repped a hand?
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Set of Q`s insta call or fold? : I apologise mush, i forgot that players never bluff at poker, you never repped a hand?
    Posted by davelufc
    What I mean to say is there is no way you can fold this. It's a snap call. If he has AQ,AK,33, KQ, AJ,JJ,TT or any number of other hands that are worse than 4th nuts then you get a nice increase in your chip stack and you think nothing more about it. If he has AA,KK or JT then you are out of the tournement and think about how you could have folded on the turn. You think about it so long that you convince yourself that it was a bad call and so you post it on the forum to check. So I'm wagering that he had KK+ or JT because you have posted, not because it's obvious from the betting

It wasn't a bad call. It was a cold turn card.
  • edited May 2012
  • edited May 2012
    Only read OP.

Open smaller pre.

Dont mind continuing on flop, but had we opened smaller we can c-bet smaller.

Get the impression from thread that your behind, but after c-betting such horrible flop, getting called then spiking a queen, I cant get it in quick enough :p

UL :)
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Set of Q`s insta call or fold? : You post good stuff here, but you are way overthinking this Checking turn doesnt leave a hard question. We have a set, have played hand like we have air and only have just over a potsized bet behind. Villain can bet a ton of worse hands and even against JT we have some equity   Betting turn and even considering folding with stacks as they are would be lolbad unless you had a soulread on villain beelzebub would be proud of. 
    Posted by grantorino
    Yeah your right, semi didn't read the hand fully or rightly was half asleep. Though at turn he had 3 times the pot behind (hero), and villian had around pot sized. I agree though 100% right about no way you can fold to a shove if you make bet on turn as pot odds would just be to go with our hand strength there regardless of what he is holding.

That said sometimes with this type of hand a sould read wouldn't be impossible. You've got a passive player limping into every hand, so also possible he could just flat his big hands preflop too. The float on the flop would be pretty bad with 10J unless it was done with the plan to take the pot down on turn regardless of hitting a gutshot, but possible from weak player to call chasing gutshots (lets face it they do it all the time). But what bothers me most is when  a passive player shoves, and if he is as passive post flop as pre I'd be surprised to look him up with a bluff or just top pair here. So think two pair or above, but I do agree can't see any easy way to get off this hand.
  • edited May 2012
    Minraise pre 100% of the time, 3x is bad as you then have to do it with your awful hands that you're just stealing with and then play bigger pots post flop which sucks.

Flop cbet fine.

Turn bet yourself for value (he might check behind weak hands for pot control) and snap call all in.