You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sorry to hog the clinic...but i need help!!!

I think, i'd played a fow T's and DYM's and caught bad beats and made poor plays as well as poor calls. Felt a little tilted, took a break, then came back trying to rein myself in. This hand then popped in to say hello to my tilt....have i made the correct play or has tilt had an adverse affect on my thinking. Your thoughts....
PS If you're out there sxp031, i'd appreciate your thoughts on the hand and what you actually had just for interests sake though, i do understand that it shouldn't affect what i should've done.....you'd make an old man very happy!! Cheers...

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancepower462Small blind 25.0025.002132.50kevcoke69Big blind 50.0075.001925.00 Your hole cardsAQ   profman15Raise 100.00175.002117.50sxp031Call 100.00275.001585.00SOAMSEEFold    power462Call 75.00350.002057.50kevcoke69Call 50.00400.001875.00Flop  9A6   power462Check    kevcoke69Check    profman15Bet 200.00600.001917.50sxp031Call 200.00800.001385.00power462Fold    kevcoke69Fold    Turn  8   profman15Check    sxp031Check    River  Q   profman15Bet 300.001100.001617.50sxp031All-in 1385.002485.000.00profman15Fold    sxp031Muck    sxp031Win 1400.00 1400.00sxp031Return 1085.000.002485.00

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Pre good.

Flop bigger.

Bet turn for value.

As played bet river bigger and SNAP call now, am kind of in shock at that fold.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Sorry to hog the clinic...but i need help!!!:
    Pre good. Turn bigger. Bet turn for value. As played bet river bigger and SNAP call now, am kind of in shock at that fold.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Cheers for the prompt replies 'Dude'. I really think some previos T's and DYM's i'd played had affected my thinking. a couple of times in the previous couple of hours, i'd had two pairs and caught someone with a pocket pair and consequently  a set. I think i may have been in "oh no, not again!" mode!! Like what could he have to bet this way?
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah letting previous hands put you in a negative mind-set can be really bad as you then almsot 'expect' to lose which is not the right way to play. 

You've probably heard it mentioned many times but 'The Mental Game of Poker' goes through a lot of these things and really makes sense of it all ;)
  • edited May 2012
    I too am surprised by the fold on the river. It's pretty unlikely that he has called a pre-flop raise and a flop bet with any hand that makes a straight. Basically you folded out of fear of a set. Fear is not a good reason to do anything in poker and we have to establish a range of hands that our opponent could have played this way.

That range is going to include some hands that beat us - 66 and 99 - but alot more hands that we beat - Ax, A9, A6, A8, AQ, perhaps 89. We can't rule out a bluff, but it seems unlikely. He could have had 78, caught something on the turn and now thinks he can push you off on the river because you checked the turn and bet weakly on the river but it's not a likely situation... We know that it's unlikely that our opponent doesn't 3-bet pre-flop with QQ or AA, so those hands aren't in the range we assign to him.

So, you folded out of fear of a very small portion of quite a wide range. FEAR costs us money.
  • edited May 2012
    I can't fold this hand.

AA + QQ 3bet pre, and he's not deep enough for set mining to be correct IMO so this makes sets less likely, JT is the only hand I'd worry about, and I can't fold because of one hand which is possibly beating us.

I think opponent can also value shoves worse here as we've under-repped our hand so much - It looks a lot like we've barreled the flop, checked the turn because we've got nothing, then caught something on the river, so opponent can definitely value shove worse than our top 2 pair, especially if he puts you on just a Queen.
  • edited May 2012
    I can't fold this hand. AA + QQ 3bet pre, and he's not deep enough for set mining to be correct IMO so this makes sets less likely, JT is the only hand I'd worry about, and I can't fold because of one hand which is possibly beating us. I think opponent can also value shoves worse here as we've under-repped our hand so much - It looks a lot like we've barreled the flop, checked the turn because we've got nothing, then caught something on the river, so opponent can definitely value shove worse than our top 2 pair, especially if he puts you on just a Queen.
    Posted by EvilPingu
    Are you really going to worry that he floated the flop with JT, four-handed on an A96 rainbow board? I agree that players shouldn't be set-mining this shallow but players don't always do what we think they should...
  • edited May 2012
    Prefer opening bigger utg

Bet flop bigger

Bet turn

Bet river bigger, call it off when raised
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Sorry to hog the clinic...but i need help!!! : Are you really going to worry that he floated the flop with JT, four-handed on an A96 rainbow board? I agree that players shouldn't be set-mining this shallow but players don't always do what we think they should...
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Nope, didn't pick up on that lol. Also agree about the sets, not impossible, but the shallower the stacks, the less I'm worrying about them. Even more reason to put all the money in then as AQ is the effective nuts IMO :) 
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah letting previous hands put you in a negative mind-set can be really bad as you then almsot 'expect' to lose which is not the right way to play.  You've probably heard it mentioned many times but 'The Mental Game of Poker' goes through a lot of these things and really makes sense of it all ;)
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    ha ha!!!Dude ive been reading it for a couple of weeks now!! I understand what you say and i recognised the possible problem too. As you say, previous hands had interfered with my logic Its a great book, i think. Don't you...? Appreciate the help...
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah as all have said bet bigger all streets. Not sure why you checked turn? What were you thinking with the check there? Hands winning are 57, J10, any set. Can't see him floating with J10 on that board, nor likely playing 57 unless you've seen him playing crazy hands. Can't see a chance to fold this if its me, but I'd have more in pot by time at river so wouldn't be able to anyway. If he has J10 its "Nh" in chat box and a whsipered "you donkey". If its a set etc well its one of those things, but you can't really fold top two pair, as he could easy have some other two pair or worse.

As for why you folded. Stop playing if you making scared choices. Scared money is the worst case to have at poker table. Not saying quit, but if need be taking a couple of days off or something till you can make the choices based on the correct choice rather than a fear of being beat. Beats going to happen, and horrible runs can happen, but doesn't mean we should stop making the right choice, and if we can't we take a break or something till brain is back in order. :)