You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Someone clear up the math?

I would like to know if this is a statistical anomaly.

Every time i have a massive winning day on here, the next day i lose it all and then some extra on top.

Day before yesterday i won 10 buy ins, then yesterday and today i've lost 12 buy ins WHEN GETTING IT IN AHEAD.

Every single time i'm in ahead i am getting beaten. 12 times in a row....what are the odds of having the best hand on the flop and being beaten for a full stack that many times in succession?

EDIT: make that 13.

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Did you question the odds when you won the 10 buyins, or just when you lose 10 or so?

As for the odds, more complex than just the hands in a row I guess, as some what would need to account for how much of a favourite you were when money went in on each of those hands. My maths is reasonable, but that would just make my brain hurt Ithink, so maybe someone else will bother to work it out.. though guessing they might not.
     Have to wonder how many hours a day and tables at a time you are playing to lose 12 buyins in a day. Can happen I guess if doing enough tables, but would be surprised  if not doing many unless playing a lot of hands maybe shouldn't?

maybe posts these long list of 12 hands here :)
  • edited May 2012
    I would just play every second (winning) day, tbh
    That'll sort out the variance
  • edited May 2012
    I don't know what the list of idiotic sarcastic responses are for, but i'm not moaning. I genuinely want to know what the odds are. EVERY all in i've done since yesterday has ended in me losing when i've been in front.
  • edited May 2012

u dont really want to know !
    get used to variance,  u will run worse than u ever thought possible, this is the game ,variance is your friend
    for what its worth most winning players experience 10 buy in downswings  regular   many have bigger its a high variance game

u cant figure out the odds without stating how much a favorite  u were each time the money went in
    would be a very tedious boring calculation

in poker u should allways think in the long term , each flip u get it in good u win really(outcome of hand doesnt matter,nor does outcome of 1 session) ,run it ten thousand times  and u will win your percent of times u were ahead

i get it you ran terrible but finding out how much a longshot/how unlucky u were wont help
    keep gettin it in good your gonna win longterm

• edited May 2012
    Yeah, as said, just accept variance. Its all part of the game, and can suck, or sometimes even be funny. Well funny if you are daniel, not so much if you are phil helmouth. Check the video below, and the odds of this happening are likely somewhere in the 0.1%, maybe lower. So sick stuff happens all the time. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV8FjnKpnZ8
  • edited May 2012
    There is no way of working out the odds unless we know all 12 hands ,what they were against and the flop.
    Feel free to post all 12 i would love to see them.