You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

this is why overbetting is gooood :)

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancedavevisioSmall blind 10.0010.002970.00IDONKCALLUBig blind 20.0030.002980.00 Your hole cards22   acesta18Call 20.0050.003040.00drenndivFold    SARAHKAYFold    tobias8610Call 20.0070.002880.00davevisioFold    IDONKCALLUCheck    Flop  22Q   IDONKCALLUCheck    acesta18Check    tobias8610Check    Turn  J   IDONKCALLUCheck    acesta18Check    tobias8610Check    River  3   IDONKCALLUAll-in 2980.003050.000.00acesta18Call 2980.006030.0060.00tobias8610Fold    IDONKCALLUShow22   acesta18Show8A   IDONKCALLUWinFour 2s6030.00 6030.00

Comments

• edited May 2012
    ----------> 

BBV is that way. Very bad call from the villain. Nut flush should be a snap fold on a paired board in this spot.

I think Jacks and Queens both raise pre, threes full of deuces should fold as this shove is representing quads, threes full (impossible for both players) or air (you'd have to be braindead to do this in the first hand).

You got lucky to get called by a massive fish IMO.
  • edited May 2012
    agree.

Not a great line am afraid bud.

Glad it worked out for you though.
  • edited May 2012
    I suppose you can say that if your regular value bet on the river is 50, then this shove only has to be called 1/59 times to be better... I'd have bet the turn though.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: this is why overbetting is gooood :):
    I suppose you can say that if your regular value bet on the river is 50, then this shove only has to be called 1/59 times to be better... I'd have bet the turn though.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    True, but at the same time, there's absolutely no way I'm getting to the river with quads without more money in the pot already, so my regular value bet would be bigger. Can understand checking the flop, I probably bet 40-50 on the turn and 120ish on the river, so the 1/59th thing would be more like needing to get called 1/15th of the times that a regular value bet gets called.

The more I look at this hand, the more and more I hate the OP's line. Our opponent can have a Q, but in a limped pot you'd expect stronger Qx to bet to charge worse hands and extract value from underpairs and big Ax which think Ax high is good. For that reason, I don't mind the flop check and check/calling, as if our opponent has a hand to call us with, he'll probably bet it anyway.

On the turn, our opponent can have any Qx, Jx, T9, KT, AT, AK, underpairs or a flush draw - all sorts of things which will pay off a bet of 40-50 chips or so when drawing dead, and a large amount of those hands will feature in a players' limping range. I think it's a huge error not to bet the turn, we'll get called so often and may even get a re-raise out of some hands occasionally.

If I did get to that river with such a small amount of money in the pot, I can argue both for and against a value shove, but it's a mistake to get into that situation where value shoving becomes correct in the first place. You've got quads, bet sooner, build and win a decent pot, not a tiny little pot of 50 chips most of the time. You got paid off this time, but as played, you shouldn't be called ever. Because fish exist, it's worth a gamble I suppose and it worked, but it's a mistake to get into that situation where value shoving becomes the correct play.

I much prefer the value shove is if the board double pairs, because someone with the overfull is going to be folding hardly ever (Zeebo's theorem), so it becomes significantly more profitable shove. In this spot, however, I much prefer betting turn, a standard value bet on the river which would be bigger as a result of the turn bet, and if our opponent is going to call a 150bb value shove with Axhh on a paired board, he's just as likely to go crazy with it when faced with a standard value bet, and get stacks in anyway, and a standard value bet allows us to get value from worse too.

Ultimately, it's only a difference of a hundred chips in most cases, and maybe extracting something from the other villain in the hand as well at some point, but in a game of such small edges, them extra chips that we could get from the other villain, or the extra chips we get from charging the draw on the turn when it misses the river, all add up.
  • edited May 2012
    only works versus bad players so...........................

but only way you can overshove like this if you beleive oppo has a house to be sure o my o my

• edited May 2012
    I think you may have been a bit lucky to get the the call. i can see why you didn't bet earlier as you want him to catch something but it must have been a nice feeling when he called, eh?
  • edited May 2012
    Wow you managed to stack someone who had the nut flush

Another thinly veiled brag, prob bet flop , definitely bet turn