You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I look silly now, but does it mean i was wrong to fold?

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
robbie1992 Small blind  20.00 20.00 8370.00
I_Will Big blind  40.00 60.00 2357.50
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

richhazza Fold     
donk3y Fold     
UareLIMPER Raise  120.00 180.00 7515.00
robbie1992 Call  100.00 280.00 8270.00
I_Will Fold     
Flop

robbie1992 Check     
UareLIMPER Bet  160.00 440.00 7355.00
robbie1992 Raise  320.00 760.00 7950.00
UareLIMPER Raise  520.00 1280.00 6835.00
robbie1992 Call  360.00 1640.00 7590.00
Turn

robbie1992 Check     
UareLIMPER Bet  1150.00 2790.00 5685.00
robbie1992 Call  1150.00 3940.00 6440.00
River

robbie1992 Check     
UareLIMPER Bet  3500.00 7440.00 2185.00
robbie1992 Fold     
UareLIMPER Show
  • K

UareLIMPER Win  3940.00  6125.00
UareLIMPER Return  3500.00 0.00 9625.00

Comments

• edited May 2012
    this player had been playing very tight and hadnt really been involved in any hands so i felt i had to respect him, i think i was correct ?
  • edited May 2012
    I prefer 3bet pre as he should be wide OTB.

Flop as played pre I just check call flop, if you raise though it has to be for value meaning you should be happy getting it in, when he min4bets I wouldn't be too happy tbh and would need some sort of history to continue.

6 gets any 9 there so bad card, so close to folding here for me as not gonna like many river cards....

River flush gets there also so only beating like very strongly played AT/KT which is rare as he can just check behind these on wet board.
  • edited May 2012
    Flop click back is really polarising, we are basically shouting our range.

Not sure about river fold tbh, just because of how far we muddy the waters playing hand as we do.

Not a criticism!!!:  Would you mind explaining your thought process when you click bacl flop?  What it is your trying to achieve?  Every bet we make has to be for a reason & with a goal.
  • edited May 2012
    i reraised because i felt i had the best hand at the time but i didnt want an all in situation because straight and flush draws were on, and i dont want to leave it done to running good, i want to get to each stage and make a decision then, i went on to finish 5th so i still picked the right moments
  • edited May 2012
    I don't mind pre if you don't think villain's gonna call a 3b w/ worse - plus it'll put you in a difficult spot if villain 4bets
    as played just c/c flop - you built the pot unnecessarily - if you think villain is bluffing then fine get it in but with your reads it doesn't seem that way so I'd probz fold to flop 3b
    I'd fold to turn bet with your reads
    I think its the right fold - you should've gotten away much earlier tho. Was your plan to call the river if the flush didnt come? 
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: I look silly now, but does it mean i was wrong to fold?:
    I don't mind pre if you don't think villain's gonna call a 3b w/ worse - plus it'll put you in a difficult spot if villain 4bets as played just c/c flop - you built the pot unnecessarily - if you think villain is bluffing then fine get it in but with your reads it doesn't seem that way so I'd probz fold to flop 3b I'd fold to turn bet with your reads I think its the right fold - you should've gotten away much earlier tho. Was your plan to call the river if the flush didnt come? 
    Posted by percival09
    Why should i check the flop, let him have a free card? like i said he was near enough a NIT so if i bet i was half expecting him to fold, my mistake was on the turn, if i was gonna call that i had to expect to call another bet, i regret that but i think the rest of it i didnt play badly.  I dont even really regret the fold there was so many draws that i think it had to be done
  • edited May 2012
    You DID check the flop :S , I presume you mean check call? Reason to check call is it keeps worse hands in, I.E 10x hands that think they're good, if you raise however you can make these fold which is bad for you.

Bad thing with check call is you make it cheaper for draws but that's a risk you take.

If you raise though it HAS to be for value as an overpair is too strong to turn into a bluff and just removes all value from the worse hands mentioned above.
  • edited May 2012

3 bet preflop would be best.
    It's a button raise, and we are miles ahead of his range, and people don't like to fold, therefore we can get more chips in the pot now.
    Flatting isn't bad though.

Flop is horrible.
    If you are going to raise, which is fine, make it bigger - something around 500 - 550 would be better.
    You can lead this flop. Lots of draws, 1 pair hands / overcards, which could check back the flop, which loses us value, and lots of turn cards which either stop us getting value, or make his hand.
    Also, not a spot where I want to be check calling 3 streets, and not that many cards which improve our hand.

His 3 bet is interesting.
    It's a bit too easy, as we can see the result, so apologies if this looks like fitting the analysis to the hand that he had, but....

If he had a decent draw, he would probably either call your raise, or make his raise bigger (i.e. either see another card, or get you to fold now).
    If he had a big hand (overpair, two pair, set) then probably a similar story.

If he has a weakish hand, but thinks you have raised with a weakish hand to get him to fold (which is what your raise looks like) then this is the kind of raise you would expect him to make.

Turn and river are two really bad cards, which mean that all of the draws get there, so can't blame you for folding, but when he bets the river big, he polarises his range between a flush and a bluff - if he had a set / 2 pair, the turn and river slow him down.
    If he hits a 9 on the turn, the river card makes it less likely that he trys to get big value on the river.

Like I say, the board run out makes it look like a fold (and I probably fold quite often), but his story doesn't quite add up............ and you can't win if you fold!

• edited May 2012
    You DID check the flop :S , I presume you mean check call? Reason to check call is it keeps worse hands in, I.E 10x hands that think they're good, if you raise however you can make these fold which is bad for you. Bad thing with check call is you make it cheaper for draws but that's a risk you take. If you raise though it HAS to be for value as an overpair is too strong to turn into a bluff and just removes all value from the worse hands mentioned above.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    ty dudeskin.  Everytime I typed a response to this it just sounded rude so didnt post it :p

• edited May 2012
    this player had been playing very tight and hadnt really been involved in any hands so i felt i had to respect him, i think i was correct ?
    Posted by robbie1992
    No you were not correct NEVER have respect for this player 
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: I look silly now, but does it mean i was wrong to fold? : No you were not correct NEVER have respect for this player 
    Posted by MickFoley
    LOL why ?