You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Mistake on turn?

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all,

Was this a mistake to check on the turn.
No real reads at this stage, but I know v1 was the loosest at the table.
Checked for pot control and was aware v1 could have had a better kicker.

Wished I had jammed but in the lon-run would this be a decent play?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceneluckSmall blind £0.10£0.10£26.77v1Big blind £0.20£0.30£36.10 Your hole cardsJQ   painy12Call £0.20£0.50£34.97Arteta4Raise £0.80£1.30£20.08yidarmy747Call £0.80£2.10£11.12UltracatCall £0.80£2.90£49.05neluckCall £0.70£3.60£26.07v1Call £0.60£4.20£35.50painy12Call £0.60£4.80£34.37Flop  5Q7   neluckBet £0.80£5.60£25.27v1Call £0.80£6.40£34.70painy12Fold    Arteta4Raise £3.20£9.60£16.88yidarmy747Fold    UltracatFold    neluckFold    v1Call £2.40£12.00£32.30Turn  4   v1Check    Arteta4Check    River  6   v1Bet £6.00£18.00£26.30Arteta4Call £6.00£24.00£10.88v1Show37   Arteta4MuckJQ   v1WinStraight to the 7£22.80 £49.10

Comments

• edited May 2012
    When you raise flop is it for value? If you don't think worse calls you should probably just flat IP as it keeps worse hand in.

Turn don't mind check behind for pot control although could bet for value against FD's and possible worse Q's even other SD's.

River really bad card with 4 to a straight on board so think you can fold here as his bet also looks valuey, you also don't beat much apart from worse Q's and they would usually check and hope for showdown.
  • edited May 2012

Yeah, betting the turn is the best line.
    You are most often against draws here (one of which got ther, 68). Against passive players, there is little benefit to checking the turn, and hoping they bluff the river.

River is probably a fold - so many hands have now made 2 pairs / straights, and someone who has called all other streets, suddenly wants to jam 30BB's into the pot.

Raising the flop is fine - if the lead was bigger (over half pot) then a call is best, but got to raise as it's such a small bet.
  • edited May 2012
    Bet turn

River prob fold
  • edited May 2012
    Grim, oppo calls bet and raise on flop w/ gutshot lol :)

Dont hate flop raise, think pleny worse + draws come along.  Have to be prepared to GII with sizing though with this line.

I cant find a reason not to bet turn, since we raised flop tbh.  Could argue PC but dont really like it on board this uber wet thats saw action from most seats pre.

Given that oppo has only slightly more than pot behind I just make a committing bet @ turn.

UL
  • edited May 2012
    In position, as you were I think the best thing would have been a bet on the turn. Not so much so that you'd be devistated if you lost the hand, just enough to try and push the villain away. However, it could be argued that after putting in around a quarter of his stack he was willing to take it further so that could have just resulted in a greater loss.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Mistake on turn?:
    When you raise flop is it for value? If you don't think worse calls you should probably just flat IP as it keeps worse hand in. Turn don't mind check behind for pot control although could bet for value against FD's and possible worse Q's even other SD's. River really bad card with 4 to a straight on board so think you can fold here as his bet also looks valuey, you also don't beat much apart from worse Q's and they would usually check and hope for showdown.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Thanks for the feedback.

Raise on flop was to find out where I was with the hope he would then check the turn to give me a choice to bet/check behind.

Called river in the hope he had a missed flush draw.
  • edited May 2012
    you should have bet turn but to be honest wouldnt make diff with this player i mean he is calling you with 73 so same outcome but in genral bet turn is what i would do