You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Blood Boil???

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
Is it just me? Or is anyone esle really pi***d off with "pretend players" who pay, (all be it a fair amount of money) to get into tournaments, but play the game like total bloody amatuers. They call with any cards, go "all-in" with inside straight draws, or with last card flush draws, and hit the draw with the last card, when they went "all-in" with nothing to begin with.

Whats the point of paying good money to get into a tournament when someone like that is just in it to play like a "tool" and ruin the game for everyone else.

It is not just a one off occurence, it happens time and again to me, and I am sure to a lot of other players as well. I know that there is nothing that can be done to stop these "wasters" entering and playing, but is anyone else not getting really sick of them and how they waste , what is a pretty good past time, for all of us who like to sit down at the end of the day with a nice beer and play some "decent" poker!!!!

Comments

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Blood Boil???:
    Is it just me? Or is anyone esle really pi***d off with "pretend players" who pay, (all be it a fair amount of money) to get into tournaments, but play the game like total bloody amatuers. They call with any cards, go "all-in" with inside straight draws, or with last card flush draws, and hit the draw with the last card, when they went "all-in" with nothing to begin with. Whats the point of paying good money to get into a tournament when someone like that is just in it to play like a "tool" and ruin the game for everyone else. It is not just a one off occurence, it happens time and again to me, and I am sure to a lot of other players as well. I know that there is nothing that can be done to stop these "wasters" entering and playing, but is anyone else not getting really sick of them and how they waste , what is a pretty good past time, for all of us who like to sit down at the end of the day with a nice beer and play some "decent" poker!!!!
    Posted by tait2383
    a-they have problems away from poker and are basically on life tilt.

b-they have no regard for money and will burn out soon enough.

• edited November 2009
    Hi tait

this is an issue that has often been discussed in the forum.  generally, the best advice is to remember who these players are, and if you come up against them again, then you can get their chips, as they are playing losing poker.  More often than not, they will miss their draws, which is to your benefit, so whlst the odd beat is annoying, it is part of the game, but you can expect to be a winner against them over all...

Also, check out the forum deepstacks etc, as there are some really good tournaments with quality play, which would be to your liking.  have a look at the threads appearing daily to find out about them.
  • edited November 2009
    ban the fish imo
  • edited November 2009
    it is annoying. best thing I have found, it is best to sit tight early in the tournament, let these players bust out and then try and play.

Unfortunately still hurts when you get AA or KK and they call your big raise and hit a pair 27 as an example. Nothing you can do but blame sky for bad beats in area 51 :-)

Keep the head up and only play when you have strong hands. Best chance you will get to bust these players.
  • edited November 2009
    They pay their money, they can play whatever way they want.

Its their choice.

Your job as a poker player is to work out how to adjust your strategy when playing with them.

All the best
  • edited November 2009
    I agree with urdadi.
    Sit tight in the early stages and just play the premium hands. If they get busted by a bad player, there is not a lot you can do, but at least you know that yours is a winning strategy and you will win more than you lose.
    As for banning the 'Fish'. No way, they are the main source of chips for the good players.
  • edited November 2009
    if you cant beat a fish then you are one. ban the good players instead.
  • edited November 2009
    work out who the fish are on the table, and take their money.

• edited November 2009
    dont be silly its the fish  or new players ,

that create the money /honey pot for us hungry bears,

where else do you think we could get such easy honey /money

no bees or sharks plzzzzz,

more and more and more fish yes .

ok i wont waste this post ,

look those fish up on www.sharkscope.com

you will see they have lost a lot of money,

oh and get some ice for your head m8y /  this will reduce the pain,

1 last bit of advice

if you let this kinda thing get to you on the table ,

its going to make your play in future suffer .

so sort your own game 1st,

and let them others worry about their own game ,

have to go now barak obama is on the dog and bone ,

da mn nuisance that man wants me to sort out world peace .

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Blood Boil???:
    it is annoying. best thing I have found, it is best to sit tight early in the tournament, let these players bust out and then try and play. Unfortunately still hurts when you get AA or KK and they call your big raise and hit a pair 27 as an example. Nothing you can do but blame sky for bad beats in area 51 :-) Keep the head up and only play when you have strong hands. Best chance you will get to bust these players.
    Posted by Urdadi
    Glory be
  • edited November 2009
    They pay their money, they can play whatever way they want. Its their choice. Your job as a poker player is to work out how to adjust your strategy when playing with them. All the best
    Posted by Sherlock
    Glory be Mark 2.
  • edited November 2009
    If everyone had the same ability, nobody would make any profit.

I'd far rather play at a table with 5 "fish" than 5 "decent players" any day of the week
  • edited November 2009

Sorry you feel like this Tait.

Poker is beautiful, and it's beautiful because it's exactly like life: You shouldn't just take risks; you should take calculated risks. If you lose when you've gone in ahead, then you need to assuage your tilt by remembering that in the long term, you'll have the best of it.

In other words, working out what you've got isn't enough. You have to be aware of what your opponent might have. But even that's not good enough... What does he/she think that you've got?

Even then, you're not out of the woods... What does your opponent think that you think they have?

Complicated, ain't it?

You could of course play Subbuteo, which is far simpler, and doesn't rely so heavily on variance.

I could go on, but there's only so many patronising lessons I can issue in one night, in a vain attempt to gain entry into the Poster's Freeroll...

• edited November 2009

A quite superb & perceptive Post by FlutNush.

PS - FlitNush played perfect poker in tonight's Deepie without many, or any hands, but semi-bubbled - more of the same Mr Flut, & the Cashes will come in regularly.
  • edited November 2009
    Is it just me? Or is anyone esle really pi***d off with "pretend players" who pay, (all be it a fair amount of money) to get into tournaments, but play the game like total bloody amatuers. They call with any cards, go "all-in" with inside straight draws, or with last card flush draws, and hit the draw with the last card, when they went "all-in" with nothing to begin with. Whats the point of paying good money to get into a tournament when someone like that is just in it to play like a "tool" and ruin the game for everyone else. It is not just a one off occurence, it happens time and again to me, and I am sure to a lot of other players as well. I know that there is nothing that can be done to stop these "wasters" entering and playing, but is anyone else not getting really sick of them and how they waste , what is a pretty good past time, for all of us who like to sit down at the end of the day with a nice beer and play some "decent" poker!!!!
    Posted by tait2383
    Im really trying to find something positive to say about this thread and your argument, but i cant, so good luck with all your losses
  • edited November 2009
    I hate it when this happens, its like there not bothered if they win or lose, but sometimes it can work in your favour and set you up for the tourny =)
  • edited November 2009
    excuse me mr tait---there must be some mistake here---I can personally assure you that there are not any nutters on this site
  • edited November 2009
    Posted by tait2383
    is this for real.....................wat do u want to do..... ban the fish...
  • edited November 2009
    Interesting take by the OP, which reminds me of a little story.

On a different site, a friend of mine could be found nightly playing $100/$200 cash and I use to watch him regularly whilst I was playing 2c/4c, and lets just say he was a very successful player at cash. He probably played around 12 hours per day just to give you some perspective.

However after about 10 hours of cash play he would enter a $5 or $10 MTT, that might pay a first prize of $500. His reasoning for this was that he used the tournament as a winding down period after a long hard grinding session. He was able to relax, and wasnt bothered if he made the money or not, he played the game for a bit of fun and enjoyment.

He would make some very strange plays, and the tourny allowed him to loosen up his playing style and you could guarantee that someone would call him a fish at least once per tourny, and he would probably end up busting out well before the money.

All he was doing was exactly what the OP says he wants to do. Sit down with a beer, relax and take his mind of what he considered his day job (cash poker). I knocked him out of a few of these tournies and probably made more money that he ever did from these type of games, not that I made that much myself.

He was also responsible for making me look the biggest fool ever on a poker table when I called his all in raise with my favourite hand of 9 T os for him to turn over aces, there were a lot of comments on chat box about what a donk play i made. However having seen him make the same type of move with any 2 cards on numerous occasions before, I felt it was worth the call, however he did refund my entry fee to the tourny afterwards, so I can forgive him for that :)He also cracked my pocket  kings with his all in raise of 7 2 os by flopping a full house , but as I say in those situations I came out the winner more than the loser.

However the one thing I would say is given the same situation I would make the same play against my friend every time, as 80% of the time I would be ahead pre flop, as I was playing the player and not so much my cards.

So yes it hurts when others make what you consider to be unreasonable plays and it pays off for them, but I'd rather have them playing than not, because it is a lot easier to make money of those players in the long term than it is against those who play a decent game at the level you are playing at.

• edited November 2009
    You call with 9T... jeez you dont even beat the average hand!!!
  • edited November 2009
    You call with 9T... jeez you dont even beat the average hand!!!
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Against this one particular player yes cos it was a profitable play for me, as 9 times out of 10 when he made that move I would be ahead

Didnt say I would do it against other players, just this one :)

The point of the story wasnt however what I would call someone with, it was the fact that a very profitable high level cash player, was prepared to play junk at what I consider low to average value MTT tournies, not because he was a bad player but because he was using the tourny to bring back a bit of fun into his poker game and I would guess that it was most of us play for.
  • edited November 2009

Remember if people arn't calling you when their behind.......... then they are calling you when their in front. Why would you want that?

I'll take a bad player making a bad call all day long rather than sit at a table with a bunch of players that are better than me and only give me action when they have me dominated.

I can't say i've never been guilty of getting irate when someone outdraws me but in the long run that's they only way i want it. I want them putting their money in when they are behind and looking for that 2 - 4 outer. I don't want people calling my All In when their only sitting on aces or kings. I want them gambling cos the odds will be in my favour, i'm not guaranteed to win when i get my wish but i do have a h e l l of a better chance 

• edited November 2009
    work out who the fish are on the table, and take their money.
    Posted by Hogg321
    I wouldm't bother using shark scope, it doesnt give you atrue reflecton of their ability.
    Just check out tikay if you dont believe me lol
  • edited November 2009

I love that long Post by Aski - more of the same Sir, you write beautifully, & in a very readable style.
  • edited November 2009
    I love that long Post by Aski - more of the same Sir, you write beautifully, & in a very readable style.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Many thanks for the kind words Tikay, I may not post very often, but when I do I try and get my monies worth as they say.

Aski :)
  • edited November 2009
    Good post aski ,playing the player is just as important as position when you're card dead .
  • edited November 2009
    hOW MANY TIMES WILL YOU GET PAID OFF THESE TYPE OF PLAYERS,,,7/10 MIN,,,

SO SHUT UP,,DONT TELL THEM OF THEIR ERROR,,AND YOUR POCKETS WILL BULGE...
  • edited November 2009
    im a fish in a sharks clothing.....or is it the other way round...im just not sure ...so ill go all in anyway ...lol
  • edited November 2009
    oh tikay ....just to say that he wrote that peice very slowly ...as we know you cant read very fast ....hahaha!