You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Continue Betting

Oh dear. Could someone please let me know how to post hands aswell ty :)

Comments

• edited November 2009

This is usually the act that gets me into the most trouble, some times i can't get away from pots if i've tried bluffing once. ANy key information people coudl share would be greatful.
  • edited November 2009
    If you check after an initial raise it either sends out weakness or at least gives your opponant another card so betting is the better option.

But depends what you are betting with in the first place
  • edited November 2009
    continuation betting is what makes up a lot of late stage tournament play, normally the aggressor wins.

when doing a continuation bet, always bet a range of values, keep your opponent guessing between 1/2the pot to a pot size bet

Dont do it everytime! you can earn some respect from your opponents by checking a low board after a raise from you, it makes you more believable later on.

Becareful on low boards, a flop of 2 6 9 and you might think to yourself, surely he's not got anything and you're probably right. If you have ace high in this situation you can try the bet, but if you're raised, becareful as he could easy have a pocket pair, or maybe an A9

Keep your opponent guessing, its all about reading each other. People aren't always bluffing if they continue bet though, its a pretty difficult subject
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Continue Betting:
    This is usually the act that gets me into the most trouble, some times i can't get away from pots if i've tried bluffing once. ANy key information people coudl share would be greatful.
    Posted by HartshorN
    I know what you mean. You make the c-bet, fire a second barrel, fire a third barrel and just end up donking off your chips. But if you don't fire the second barrel, you've basically given up the pot.......

The fact is, you can't bluff a poor player or a calling station. So don't even try. Keep your c-bets about the 80% level - the 1 in 5 you don't c-bet should be mostly against the calling stations. If you think about it, it really is daft to try to bluff someone you know is going to call you, but people still do it.
    Assuming you miss or only partially hit, just keep pots low and be willing to show down a hand or just chuck it away.

One play I like when hitting big on the flop is the bet-check-bet.
    When you hit big on the flop, bet out. The villain will consider this a c-bet and often call. By then checking the turn, you have confirmed that it was a c-bet so he will often try to steal it from you. Just call him - don't raise.
    By then betting out big on the river, it looks like you've missed your draw and are making one last effort to pick up the pot. He will call you the vast majority of the time.

The majority of players who hit big on the flop go for a check raise and win a fraction of what you win by playing it as above. OK, so you run the risk of giving him a free card on the river if he doesn't bet the turn, but you can judge this on flop texture.

So to summarise:
    Just because you've raised PF, doesn't mean you have to carry on with it. Be willing to just lay it down sometimes.
    Don't c-bet 100% of the time.
    Don't try to bully a calling station or a poor player - it won't work on them.
    Don't bluff if you know you're going to be called (obvious, but amazing how often people do it!)
    Try to keep pots low if you don't hit big.
    If you do hit big, play it as if you were bluffing at it (bet-check/call-bet).
    Don't check raise. By raising PF then checking, you're telegraphing that you've hit. (By checking after raising PF, this also helps disguise the misses when you just wish to slow it down, as mentioned above).
    Oh - and don't go all-in on the river with your third barrel. It stinks of desparation and really is a very poor play.

Just keep flopping aces and you'll be fine though.

• edited November 2009
    try  that  a  lot  of  times  in  cash  games   most times   got  out  drawn  might  work  in  tourneys   u  do  not  give  free  cards    in  cash  games
  • edited November 2009
    No one has mentioned number of players going to a flop after your pfr.  One of the most important things imo.

eg you have AK utg, you raise and get 1 caller.  Flop comes low,  cbet 80-90% of the time
        you have AK utg, you raise and get 3-4 callers.  Flop comes low, check fold 80-90% of the time