You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

should i be betting on turn?

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
should i be betting on turn to force a fold from opponent considering if he calls i got so many outs? or did i lose the min?
batVanKo Small blind  £0.50 £0.50 £95.50
DrRunGood Big blind  £1.00 £1.50 £282.77
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

scotty77 Fold     
CeeCee480 Fold     
Mucka1 Fold     
style2737 Fold     
batVanKo Raise  £2.50 £4.00 £93.00
DrRunGood Raise  £9.00 £13.00 £273.77
batVanKo Call  £7.00 £20.00 £86.00
Flop

• J

batVanKo Check     
DrRunGood Bet  £13.00 £33.00 £260.77
batVanKo Call  £13.00 £46.00 £73.00
Turn

• J

batVanKo Check     
DrRunGood Check     
River

batVanKo Bet  £33.00 £79.00 £40.00
DrRunGood Fold     
batVanKo Muck     
batVanKo Win  £44.20  £84.20
batVanKo Return  £33.00

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Problem is if he has called flop with jack then betting the turn could mean you get blown off the hand by a big reraise or even shove. Sure with two out its less likely that is what he called with, but I don't have a problem checking the turn for a free card. I guess there is arguement for doing both methods.

Be interested what others think on this, as i've definely done both before, and often wonder which most think is right, as I've been blown off a hand like this before by a shove, as its difficult to call it even with straight/flush/overpair as you could be be drawing thin, or even dead.
  • edited May 2012
    Judging by your other post where this player called you on river after 3 barrels with 2nd pair i wouldnt be betting turn EVER v him.

Take free card and fold as you did.
  • edited May 2012
    I'm not convinced your beat on river.  I have no knowledge of oppo though.

Would certainly be closer to a call than a fold for me.
  • edited May 2012
    The Jack on the turn is the worst card in the deck for you - It means that if your opponent was ahead on the flop, he's still ahead on the turn. You'll never get a fold so I think the best line is to check back turn and hope you hit on the river.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: should i be betting on turn?:
    Problem is if he has called flop with jack then betting the turn could mean you get blown off the hand by a big reraise or even shove. Sure with two out its less likely that is what he called with, but I don't have a problem checking the turn for a free card. I guess there is arguement for doing both methods. Be interested what others think on this, as i've definely done both before, and often wonder which most think is right, as I've been blown off a hand like this before by a shove, as its difficult to call it even with straight/flush/overpair as you could be be drawing thin, or even dead.
    Posted by KAM99
    ive done both aswel and always leaves u wondering what if you did the other thats why id like to find out what others think. if i bet on turn and he shoves i fold then im left thinkin if i took the free card hit str8 or flush would i have had it.
  • edited May 2012

Like amybr I wouldn't be auto folding river here, think its usually a fold though

Think you have to fire river if you fire turn, but stacks a little awkward for river bluff. 
  • edited May 2012
    Nothing wrong with that at all, to check call the flop I think he at least has an under pair and he may even have been planning to check raise the turn with Js. Either way you would have been beat and a shove on the river would have been a little fishy following a check back. 

Save your money for a better hand :)
  • edited May 2012
    tricky spot here opponent could be floating the flopif he put u on a arange of ak a q when u reraised preflop he could easily have a busted flush draw i think id have to sigh call this hand he cant have medium pair imo he wouldnt value bet the river looks like a jack ace 10 value bet or complete air ball