You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bet sizing: How much it tells you about your opponent.

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
alot u should keep your bluffs and your nice hands the same bet size preflop on flop and turn river etc this way u cant get anytells :)

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Wrote a long post on this but kind of defeats the objective of the post.  So short & simple then:

When playing at any given table/format, how much do you believe you can know/learn about your oppo based solely on their bet sizings?

All thoughts welcome.
  • edited May 2012
    also i noticed the timebar if take ages and bets seems to be a good hand but a quick bet is less strength :)
  • edited May 2012
    Wasnt really the Q I was asking bud.

Timebar is usually true tho.

Maybe need to clarify: (but prob not - lol :p- )

What info can we ourselves gleam from our oppos when attempting to tag oppos @ table from their bet sizes.  Just assume we are very confident in our own game.  We are talking about our oppos and there generic bet sizing
  • edited May 2012
    People who min raise donk bet into me= fish.
  • edited May 2012
    everything, unless their a super balanced ninja

• edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Bet sizing: How much it tells you about your opponent.:
    everything, unless their a super balanced ninja
    Posted by rancid
    nice
  • edited May 2012
    bit pointless at the end of the day ambyr its what we do that matter how we play the hand that counts whet the opponent does doesnt make no difference 1 tell i know is if they raise on the turn = nuts :)
  • edited May 2012
    also i noticed the timebar if take ages and bets seems to be a good hand but a quick bet is less strength :)
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Think you can read too much into timing tells sometimes.

If I take the whole time bar to do something, it usually means something else is happening on another table.
  • edited May 2012
    bit pointless at the end of the day ambyr its what we do that matter how we play the hand that counts whet the opponent does doesnt make no difference 1 tell i know is if they raise on the turn = nuts :)
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Am not sure if your trying to be funny or not???? Hard to tell.

I cant agree with you at all tbh.  Our play/range has to run in tandem with the information we receive from our oppos.  Am pretty surprised that you think we ought to just disregard important information on the people we play against.  Agree with Rancid that the bet sizing is our clearest online indicator to oppos skill & tendancies, being frank, it was prob the answer I was looking for.

As much as our hand strength is important its only relative to the hand strength of our oppos positional strength & perceived range.

• edited May 2012
    Agree timer bar don't make much odds unless they only playing one table. Though quick calls can often be people on draws because they've premade up their minds on calling most bets on the flop.

As for betting tells. Yes, at low limits there are tons of them, and its quite common to silly stupid 1/20th pot bets when they got second pair or some draw and they hope you will just call rather than raise them. Occasionally this is a reverse situation and they are betting tiny because they so afraid their monster will not get paid more, so they bet tiny and pointless and when you reraise they will call or shove. One to watch sometimes. Higher limits unless its a fish with money then I doubt you'll get any tells from their bet sizing.

Agree on the turn raise when you've lead out on the turn. At low limits this very highly likely mean if all you have is a pair its no good. They may bet top pair or second pair etc, but if you are betting they normally call it down rather than raise in most cases.
  • edited May 2012
    Apart from the obv fish ones, you may be able to tell against good players if they are trying to set up stacks to make river tough for you to fold or tough for you to call.  
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah I utlimately decided I had phrased the Q wrong tbh.

Agree tho GT.

• edited May 2012
    It's a good question but one that is massively down to assessing the type of player they are quick. Because the 1/20th pot bet can be many different things depending on the type of player your against. Same as a pot lead. It's a good question but ultimately bet size reads are dependent on individual players or individual tendency E.G LAG NIT TAG an so on

It would be hard to define these in MTT's unless your a massive reg and the villain is aswell. But very good way to read others in cash
  • edited May 2012
    I personally don't make note of any of my opponents bet sizings because I don't think it's something you can use as a solid read

I agree bet sizings is the number 1 read you can get online, but that's only because you can't get many. I usually just go with how the hand is played and make judgement as it's happening. I think if you concentrate too much on opponents bet sizings you can often make a bad play yourself because you have a false/not as accurate read as you thought you did. But this is just my opinion, I may be, and probably am, completely wrong and I'm losing $$$$$$$$$ because of it

• edited May 2012
    People who min raise donk bet into me= fish.
    Posted by donkeyplop

Sorry, i'm being thick.
    What does a donk bet refer to?
    Is this a min raise followed by larger bet on a later street?
  • edited May 2012
    a donk bet is when a player bets into the pre flop aggressor
    e.g. hero raises on the button, the small blind calls and then the small blind bets into the guy on the button (the original raiser) instead of the usual check to the aggressor
  • edited May 2012
    I feel there is something on bet sizing. But you have to relate it to checks, the player, position and texture of the flop.

If there is a player who has been passive all game and then suddenly springs in to life 3 x betting under the gun and then firing again after the flop. The 3 x bet under the gun would make me sit up and notice and barrelling on the turn would probably make me fold - if I was still in!

An aggressive player who flat calls my 1/2 pot raise on a wet flop would make me wary.

KKA on the flop and first player to bet does a massive overbet. If they have the K would they really try and scare everyone off? Novice player might, experienced player unlikely - thats a milking hand and you'd want to keep players in but try and grow the pot a bit as well.

And I'm sure you could come up with more and better scenarios.

Bet sizing is just part of the story. 

I remember watching on television a pro female poker player (can't remember which one) playing with a post it over her cards and winning the tournament.