You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I think this is ok isn't it?

Big stack had been aggro but i was looking for a call, wasn't i.....

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancectm2Small blind 50.0050.004897.50shirley02Big blind 100.00150.001330.00 Your hole cardsQK   profman15Raise 300.00450.002212.50KINGCANUTEAll-in 7210.007660.000.00CRUZY10Fold    ZAMO53Fold    ctm2Fold    shirley02Fold    profman15All-in 2212.509872.500.00KINGCANUTEUnmatched bet 4697.505175.004697.50profman15ShowQK   KINGCANUTEShow1010   Flop  756   Turn  7   River  2   KINGCANUTEWinTwo Pairs, 10s and 7s5175.00 9872.50

Comments

• edited May 2012
    i dont think you ever really want to be raise/calling for your tourney life with king high 20+bb deep
  • edited May 2012
    Pretty much you are gambling for a stack.

It's a small losing play (if he does this with 88 - QQ, AJs+, AQo+), as we are probably 38% versus his range, plus we are calling rather than jamming - i.e. no fold equity.

If he 3xed it, and we jammed KQs it would be better (though we are a bit deep).
    If we were shorter (12 - 16BB's) it's an auto call.

For it to be a profitable call, we need him to be doing this with hands we dominate, KJ, QJ etc...
  • edited May 2012
    I suppose you are hoping he turns over what he does – lots of other re-raising hands have you in trouble and not many you are ahead of – no shame in folding I think
  • edited May 2012
    I prefer minraise pre with this stack size (as you lose less when you have to fold plus you should be doing a lot of minraising at this stage to steal blinds with worse hands than KQ) and unless he has been shoving EVERY hand I fold to the shove.

You also have to realise he hasn't just shoved for your stack size, he is essentially happy to be in against the SB who has 48bbs therefore IMO you have to let it go infront of massive strength. 
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: I think this is ok isn't it?:
    Pretty much you are gambling for a stack. It's a small losing play (if he does this with 88 - QQ, AJs+, AQo+), as we are probably 38% versus his range, plus we are calling rather than jamming - i.e. no fold equity. If he 3xed it, and we jammed KQs it would be better (though we are a bit deep). If we were shorter (12 - 16BB's) it's an auto call. For it to be a profitable call, we need him to be doing this with hands we dominate, KJ, QJ etc...
    Posted by jakally
    Thanks Jakally,
    I appreciate the thoroughness of your analysis. May i ask you though why is AA and KK not part of this range(because he'd check then raise post flop)?
     You've given him a 5.3% calling range and done your calc thro pokerstove...yes?
    Would the fact that it is a BH and he'd been aggressive previuosly affect this range in your opinion or do you put this as standard?
     Sorry to ask but i'm learning a lot on the forum.

TBH, i saw the av stack size as almost double my stack and felt a move was needed as i'd been a bit card dead. Maybe, a bit more patience was needed eh....and letting it go was the best play both statistically and from a strateg point of view. 
    After all, Chip Reese only had a chip...!!! 
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: I think this is ok isn't it?:
    In Response to Re: I think this is ok isn't it? :May i ask you though why is AA and KK not part of this range(because he'd check then raise post flop)?  
    Posted by profman15

Because most players act a little bit differently in these spots with AA & KK. (Raise smaller to get action).

In Response to Re: I think this is ok isn't it? :  You've given him a 5.3% calling range and done your calc thro pokerstove...yes? Would the fact that it is a BH and he'd been aggressive previuosly affect this range in your opinion or do you put this as standard?  
    Posted by profman15

I just made a reasonable guess at the hands he may do this with, then stoved it.
    The fact it is a BH may have some impact, but we have given him quite an aggro jamming range anyway, so I don't think we are too far off.

Unless you have played thousands of hands with someone, the best we can do is guess a range based on tendencies (loose / tight etc...).

• edited May 2012
    Yep, good points all and lots of things i should have considered more! TY