You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

JJ in an MTT (Being Disloyal)

edited May 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Busto (almost) hand:

Seat 1: sorble31 (52192 in chips)
Seat 2: hu2mel (18340 in chips)
Seat 3: Mr.Tonnson (15860 in chips)
Seat 4: BorinLoner (37808 in chips)
Seat 5: midyat47 (94381 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 6: drogba104 (69075 in chips)
Seat 7: newvir (71064 in chips)
Seat 8: montastack (3839 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 9: vLuckyBoy (32445 in chips)

Blinds 400/800 ante 100
Seat 1 is the button

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to BorinLoner [Jh Js]
BorinLoner: raises 800 to 1600
midyat47: folds
drogba104: folds
newvir: folds
montastack: folds
vLuckyBoy: raises 4000 to 5600
sorble31: folds
hu2mel: folds
Mr.Tonnson: folds
BorinLoner: calls 4000

*** FLOP ***
 [7c 7d Jd]

BorinLoner: checks
vLuckyBoy: bets 7200
BorinLoner: calls 7200

*** TURN ***
[7c 7d Jd] [Kd]

vLuckyBoy: checks

*** RIVER ***
[7c 7d Jd Kd] [5d]

BorinLoner: bets 24908 and is all-in
vLuckyBoy: calls 19545 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (5363) returned to BorinLoner

*** SHOW DOWN ***

BorinLoner: shows [Jh Js] (a full house, Jacks full of Sevens)
vLuckyBoy: shows [Kc Ks] (a full house, Kings full of Sevens)
vLuckyBoy collected 66790 from pot

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Inspired by Youtube video in the forum, here's a few examples of JJ in a deep-stack MTT:

Hand 1:

Seat 1: Gabib38 (3730 in chips)
    Seat 2: luckyboy (4860 in chips)
    Seat 3: easymoney (17765 in chips)
    Seat 4: winga699 (6570 in chips)
    Seat 5: maiconc_ (5586 in chips)
    Seat 6: aco3ca (7639 in chips)
    Seat 7: BorinLoner (10293 in chips)
    Seat 8: SamDMND (6080 in chips)
    Seat 9: volldemar88 (6229 in chips)

Blinds 30/60 ante 5
    Seat 7 is the button

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to BorinLoner [Jh Js]
    Gabib38: folds
    luckyboy: folds
    easymoney: raises 90 to 150
    winga699: folds
    maiconc_: folds
    aco3ca: folds
    BorinLoner: calls 150
    SamDMND: folds
    volldemar88: folds

*** FLOP ***
     [3h 8h Qd]

easymoney: bets 210
    BorinLoner: calls 210

*** TURN ***
    [3h 8h Qd] [2s]

easymoney: checks

*** RIVER ***
    [3h 8h Qd 2s] [Td]

easymoney: checks
    BorinLoner: bets 360
    easymoney: calls 360

*** SHOW DOWN ***

BorinLoner: shows [Jh Js] (a pair of Jacks)
    easymoney: mucks hand [9s Ts]
    BorinLoner collected 1575 from pot
  • edited May 2012
    Hand 2:

Seat 1: ringo2492 (850 in chips)
    Seat 2: luckyboy (8686 in chips)
    Seat 3: easymoney (13711 in chips)
    Seat 4: winga699 (7765 in chips)
    Seat 5: maiconc_ (10778 in chips)
    Seat 6: aco3ca (7259 in chips)
    Seat 7: BorinLoner (12348 in chips)
    Seat 8: SamDMND (2150 in chips)
    Seat 9: volldemar88 (11090 in chips)

Blinds 40/80 ante 10
    Seat 8 is the button

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to BorinLoner [Jd Jh]
    luckyboy: raises 120 to 200
    easymoney: folds
    winga699: calls 200
    maiconc_: folds
    aco3ca: calls 200
    BorinLoner: raises 530 to 730
    SamDMND: folds
    volldemar88: folds
    ringo2492: folds
    luckyboy: raises 790 to 1520
    winga699: folds
    aco3ca: folds
    BorinLoner: calls 790

*** FLOP ***
     [Ah 9c 5c]

luckyboy: bets 1440
    BorinLoner: folds
    Uncalled bet (1440) returned to luckyboy
    luckyboy collected 3650 from pot
  • edited May 2012
    This is an $11 buy-in with 22,500 runners. Starting stack was 5000.

So, in hand 1 I've been cast in the role of table-captain/aggro-monkey, 3, 4 and 5-betting to build a stack. However easymoney is new at the table so we are readless.

Pre-flop I don't see the benefit of building a big pot, this early in such a long structure. Against an unknown I make the call to play through the streets in position.

The flop brings one overcard and he fires a standard c-bet. Got to call this one, right?

Turn, he checks. Anyone think I should bet here? I figure that the only reason to bet is to charge the draws but there can't be that many draws in his range. I check for pot-control, to give him a chance to fire or call light on the river and because I'm not sure what I'd want to be called by here. Any contributions on that?

He checks the Ten on the river and I fire a small value bet. I didn't think that anyone would call with worse if I bet more than this. Any missed value here?

Hand 2

I'm not happy with my pre-flop 3-bet size here. I think 650 would have been better but that's not a big difference... just something to shout at myself about. I don't know about my play at all in this hand. Given the stacks I think I should have folded to luckyboy's 4-bet. I wasn't really sure where I was but figured I'd call in position and float a c-bet on a non-Ace or King flop. The Ace hits and I fold to a less than half-pot c-bet. It's not the strongest bet in the world but obviously an Ace is a much worse overcard than the Queen in hand 1. Anyone go for another float?

By this stage, I was watching TV whenever I wasn't in the pot so I don't have any reads on anyone.

Hand 3

The 3-bet size screams AK in my head so I'm going for the call and see a non-Ace or King flop again. I didn't think he'd be playing such a strong pair this way, since I'd been opening quite alot, but I'm not really sure what the plan was going to be on a non-Jack flop. I knew he was the type to give up if he missed the flop, so I wasn't expecting him to fire more than one barrell if he missed the board. Given that, I figured I'd check-call or check-raise the flop, depending on texture. (Check-raise on a wet flop, check-call on a dry one) Obviously I'd probably check-fold if an Ace or King hit...

As the board ran out, I'm pretty convinced that my only mistake was not hitting Quads on the river...

Min-cashed for $15.71... Woop!
  • edited May 2012
    i suspect i played the same tourny, never got going in it being honest.

Anyways hand 1 i like, hand 2 im not so sure at but im readless, as you say maybe folding pre to the 4b is an option im not sure if we;re deep enough to be set mining. Hand 3 meh ul.
  • edited May 2012
    1. Nh
    2. Either flat pre or 3b/5b unless you have reads he flats 3b oop a lot
    3. Shove or fold imo. Why do you think his 3b size screams AK? Don't think you are deep enough to call but maybe it's ok. Post flop obv total cooler
  • edited May 2012
    Hand 1) i prob 3 bet for value pre, post flop played perfect
    2)Weird how u flat first hand and not this one? im more inclined to flat ina multiway pot with jacks
    3)I agree with GT shove or fold, with his bet sizing im probably sigh folding cos if its not AK then its QQ+ 
  • edited May 2012
    hand 1 perfecto
    hand 2 peel pre
    hand 3 get it in pre. 

:-)
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: JJ in an MTT (Being Disloyal):
    1. Nh 2. Either flat pre or 3b/5b unless you have reads he flats 3b oop a lot 3. Shove or fold imo. Why do you think his 3b size screams AK? Don't think you are deep enough to call but maybe it's ok. Post flop obv total cooler
    Posted by grantorino
    I don't mean I thought it was definitely AK, it's just that bet size that screams "I want to get it in now because I don't know what to do on the flop". That's AK more than any other hand but could also be 88, 99, TT, JJ or maybe QQ. I didn't think that it would be KK or AA (bad read, clearly) basically because I'd been opening so often and I just didn't see him wanting to bet so big against me while I had such an obviously wide range - I didn't think he was really good enough to notice that I'd been playing almost exclusively in late position. Anyway, I didn't want to get it in pre-flop since that was so obviously what he wanted. It was always going to be a fold or a call for me and I just couldn't let it go.
  • edited May 2012
    Hand 1) i prob 3 bet for value pre, post flop played perfect 2)Weird how u flat first hand and not this one? im more inclined to flat ina multiway pot with jacks 3)I agree with GT shove or fold, with his bet sizing im probably sigh folding cos if its not AK then its QQ+ 
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Yeah, I didn't 3-bet the first hand because I was on the button, I didn't want to inflate the pot and the raise came to me uncalled. There was a pretty good chance that we'd go heads-up to the flop. In the second hand there had already been a call and I was only in the cut-off. I didn't want to call and see a flop at least three-handed, while also having the possibility that someone else would 3-bet and put me to a tricky decision. I don't like seeing the flop multi-way with JJ because then I'd really just be set-mining and JJ seems too strong to be set-mining to me, even on a 9-handed table. I figure to be ahead most of the time before the flop. I do wish I'd thrown them away when I was 4-bet but my opponent gave me a bet that drew me into making a mistake. I should have seen it coming, since I make so many of these small 3-bets and 4-bets myself... I'm disappointed with that hand, to be honest.
  • edited May 2012
    Thanks for the feedback on this. I would like to ask specifically about peoples opinions on the river bet on the first hand. I bet 360 into 855 as I thought that would look suspicious enough to get called by worse. I'm always telling people on here not to bet less than half-pot though, so does anyone think this bet-size was a mistake? Seems like a little thing but it's bugging me. I was never checking, of course.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: JJ in an MTT (Being Disloyal) : Yeah, I didn't 3-bet the first hand because I was on the button, I didn't want to inflate the pot and the raise came to me uncalled. There was a pretty good chance that we'd go heads-up to the flop. In the second hand there had already been a call and I was only in the cut-off. I didn't want to call and see a flop at least three-handed, while also having the possibility that someone else would 3-bet and put me to a tricky decision. I don't like seeing the flop multi-way with JJ because then I'd really just be set-mining and JJ seems too strong to be set-mining to me, even on a 9-handed table. I figure to be ahead most of the time before the flop. I do wish I'd thrown them away when I was 4-bet but my opponent gave me a bet that drew me into making a mistake. I should have seen it coming, since I make so many of these small 3-bets and 4-bets myself... I'm disappointed with that hand, to be honest.
    Posted by BorinLoner

You aren't necessarily set mining just because you flat. 3b/f v opener readless would be close to turning them into a bluff , so it's either flat or 3b intending to get it in